Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a Kirk Cousins fan
Cousin's redone cap hit for 2020 is 15th highest among QB's and 23 highest for all players according to Spotrac.  A lot of posters are still stuck on his initial contract as the highest paid QB at that time.  Now guys like Goff, Prescott, Carr, Brissett, and Alex Smith's 2020 cap hits are higher.  I don't think it is his contract that is crippling the team.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
Cousin's redone cap hit for 2020 is 15th highest among QB's and 23 highest for all players according to Spotrac.  A lot of posters are still stuck on his initial contract as the highest paid QB at that time.  Now guys like Goff, Prescott, Carr, Brissett, and Alex Smith's 2020 cap hits are higher.  I don't think it is his contract that is crippling the team.  
Rick and Mike backed themselves into a corner with all the deals on the Defense. If their QB was on a Rookie deal they would be in a position to do something in Free Agency other than offer guys like Robey-Coleman the veterans minimum and pray he takes it. 

Let's face it, if everything goes perfectly this team contends again in 2022. Cousins will be 34 that season. And likely even slower than he is now. In my opinion the only reason he got extended was to babysit this team and put butts in seats until the window opens again. Which means they will be drafting his successor in the next two seasons. Which is a crappy plan.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
If Foles is good enough to win a SB, then Cousins is too.  Foles had the supporting cast of players to make that possible.  I'm not sure Cousins ever will though. 
Foles playing for peanuts and Wentz's rookie deal made that supporting cast possible,  wont put that kind of team around a veteran QB making large bank without a few years of miracle draft results.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@minny65 said:
Rick and Mike backed themselves into a corner with all the deals on the Defense. If their QB was on a Rookie deal they would be in a position to do something in Free Agency other than offer guys like Robey-Coleman the veterans minimum and pray he takes it. 

Let's face it, if everything goes perfectly this team contends again in 2022. Cousins will be 34 that season. And likely even slower than he is now. In my opinion the only reason he got extended was to babysit this team and put butts in seats until the window opens again. Which means they will be drafting his successor in the next two seasons. Which is a crappy plan.
Yes, we did back ourselves into a corner with the D.  Of course a starting QB rookie deal would free up a lot of cash.  

Disagree, I think we can contend this season and beyond with Cousins even at 34/35/36 years old.  Cousins has been injury-free (mostly) like Bree's/Brady/Rivers/ etc who are playing close to 40.  I think Cousins can do that as well.   That said I would still be looking at QB's in the draft this year and the next few if we like someone.  

I just disagree with your cousin's was extended just to put butts in the seat and babysit.  He was extended to free up a good chunk of money.  He is the 15th highest QB in the NFL after his redo and he is certainly a Top 15 QB.   

We can agree to disagree!