Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a Kirk Cousins fan
If you give this guy a little time, like any other QB needs, he's very accurate. Both short and deep. Underrated arm. I think he can take this team a long way, but he needs to the offensive line to be better this season. Samia. Udoh. Draft picks. Need 2 upgrades: either OG starting or backup OT. 

I just watched the pass to Thielen against to New Orleans in overtime: its as good as you can throw a football. A 50 yard pass spot on. Stood in the pocket and let it go. But he had a pocket and he's straight cold money with time. He's pretty brave in the pocket...I know he fumbles. I like the extension. But draft a raw guy with big upside to learn behind Kirk. I've been hard on him sporadically, but there's something about him. He's like a genuine dude. He can get it done....not sure if he will, but he can. He can spin the rock. 

I agree with all you've said and have been preaching he's the best we've had since Favre.

The problem is, you cant always have a clean pocket and he needs to make the plays more often in those situations.

Flip side of that? Our pass-pro has been weakest inside and right up the middle - the very worst for any QB, even if your name is Brees, Brady or Rogers. So few Russell Wilsons out there.

I also think he gets tentative at times to pull the trigger - for reasons I dont understand from a fan lens.

When he's on though? Gets some decent protection? He's really hard to defend.  

The last 2 passes KC made versus the Saints showed me why Minnesota signed him.

He's not perfect.

He can improve.

I don't think he can walk on water...........

Agree.

I still have some lingering doubts about his--I don't know what to call it--BALLS maybe? Too many times he leaves receivers waiving their hands. And he doesn't have that come-from-behind quality that some QBs have. As good as he was, Culpepper didn't have it. Say what you want about Bridgewater, but he DID have it. "IT," "fortitude," "balls," "GUMP" whatever you want to call it, Cousins doesn't have it. 

All that said, there's no denying he's one of the best QBs in the NFL. In terms accuracy, top 5 easy. And if you give him time, he's deadly. Like laser surgery. 

So give him better protection, let's see what happens. I'm for the extension (with the caveat that we overkill his protection). Always have been for the extension. For one big reason: It's hard enough to find QBs who can even play in the NFL. You have to get real lucky to find one who can play as well as Cousins. 

If Foles is good enough to win a SB, then Cousins is too.  Foles had the supporting cast of players to make that possible.  I'm not sure Cousins ever will though. 

Just my two cents but I feel that Cousins does well when around him is going well.  That is when he excels.   The line plays well, the running game is "Cooking", is really can pick an opposing team apart.
But, let the wheels start to come off and we are constantly 3rd and long.  That is when he struggles and seems to do bone head mistakes.  This opposed to Favre who seem to thrive in controversy.  Favre almost wanted to come from behind, driving the team to victory, and bathing in the glory of it all.
Cousins is not Favre and therefore I always have this fear that we will get to the Super Bowl and all the chips are on the line, everyone has their big boy pants on, and we get behind.......

Quote: @ThunderGod said:
Just my two cents but I feel that Cousins does well when around him is going well.  That is when he excels.   The line plays well, the running game is "Cooking", is really can pick an opposing team apart.
But, let the wheels start to come off and we are constantly 3rd and long.  That is when he struggles and seems to do bone head mistakes.  This opposed to Favre who seem to thrive in controversy.  Favre almost wanted to come from behind, driving the team to victory, and bathing in the glory of it all.
Cousins is not Favre and therefore I always have this fear that we will get to the Super Bowl and all the chips are on the line, everyone has their big boy pants on, and we get behind.......

He is a QB that has to have everything go to plan for him to click. If things start to unravel, he cannot bring the offense back together much of the time. He has to have everything go according to his plan and there is very little, if any, improvising.

He doesn't have the improvisational "it" factor that some of the greats have.   But then again neither did Manning or Brady.   But they had other traits that made them great.  Brady has a quick release and doesn't hold the ball the way Kirk does.   And the genius coach on his side.  Manning just flat out was smarter than most of the guys defending against him.    

But what you said is true to a point.   He needs a great oline and the crap lines he's had here the first two years really held the team back.   Why they signed him to that big contract and failed to shore up the line is a mystery, but probably traces to Mike Zimmer wanting all the dough spent on overpriced defensive guys, a bunch of whom just high-tailed it out of town thankfully.   

Zimmer ditched Keenum and his horseshoe, who could run around behind that porous line and bail himself out, for a pure pocket guy with below average escapability.   Then failed to demand that Rick build an oline.   It's just more of WTF is this franchise doing anyway?  Which seems to be reaching a peak this offseason with a series of contradictory moves that remain a mystery.   They extend Kirk for more huge dough but will they get serious about the oline or just give Elflein a new pair of roller skates for his pass pro this year?

My biggest issue with KC is he seems to get scared.  That game against the niners he came out and was playing like shit from the first snap,  his mechanics  were shit and his accuracy showed it.  He got into his own head before the niners had a chance to.  Weve seen that from him on previous occasions as well and that scares me.  It's easy for a QB to be accurate when everything is perfect,  but it's much tougher to do when the team really needed a leader to step up and calm the ship.

I just hope his best play is ahead of him and he has some noteworthy games in the coming years.