Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Source: LSU receiver Ja'Marr Chase to forgo season...
LSU star receiver Ja'Marr Chase plans to opt out of the college football season to enter the NFL draft, a source told ESPN.Chase, who ranks fourth on Todd McShay's most recent list of the top 50 pro prospects, has informed the team of his decision, although no official announcement has been made by the school.
He led the FBS in receiving yards (1,780) and touchdowns (20) last season, winning the Biletnikoff Award, which is given annually to the country's top receiver.
CBS Sports was first to report the news.
Chase is the third player to opt out at LSU, joining defensive end Neil Farrell and cornerback Kary Vincent.
LSU now must make do without both the reigning Biletnikoff Award winner and the Heisman Trophy winner, quarterback Joe Burrow, who was selected No. 1 overall in the draft by the Cincinnati Bengals.
Junior Myles Brennan is the front-runner to start at quarterback.
Brennan will still have a wealth of talented receivers to work with, including Terrace Marshall Jr. and Racey McMath.
LSU opens the season on Sept. 26 at home against Mississippi State.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...-nfl-draft

It's going to be a very strange draft. Quite a few top prospects are forgoing the season and many teams will play an abbreviated or possibly no season. It will be interesting to see how top prospects use this time to prepare for the pros and if the extra combine & weight training are able to make up for the missed year of practice & game development. I can't blame him though. It's not going to be a normal season, there's no reason to risk getting Covid & having long term effects, & teams already view him as an early round pick.

If I'm Trevor Lawrence, I'm asking myself (over and over again) what's the upside to playing in this, the weirdest of seasons???

He would have been the #1 WR taken in this year's draft. 

I think there will be more of this. The draft is going to be a bit bizarre I think.

Quote: @StickyBun said:

Yep. As excited as I am about Jefferson, it's crazy that he was like the 4th or 5th best player on LSU last year. Team was loaded

I get why......but, I wish the NFL had not cancelled the supplemental draft in 2020.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@StickyBun said:

Yep. As excited as I am about Jefferson, it's crazy that he was like the 4th or 5th best player on LSU last year. Team was loaded
Yes sir and that makes me wonder what kind of QB Burrow will be for Cincy: the team was LOADED and he didn't pop (Burrow) until his last season. It will be interesting.