Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extension for Cousins
Quote: @AGRforever said:
@SDCAVIKESFAN said:
More importantly,  how much cap space did it open up. 
none if its all gaurented correct?
It's not fully guaranteed.

I wonder if this means that Spielman and Zimmer will get short-term extensions to sync up with Cousins deal?

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@AGRforever said:
@SDCAVIKESFAN said:

I wonder if this means that Spielman and Zimmer will get short-term extensions to sync up with Cousins deal?
I had a million scenarios in my head on where RS/MZ extensions fit in with the QB's...I do think this means they're going to keep that band together another couple seasons.

Now they need to have an eye towards the future @ QB. How much do they value the upside of Hurts???

Courtney Cronin just reported that the extension lowers his 2020 cap hit by $10 million

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
Courtney Cronin just reported that the extension lowers his 2020 cap hit by $10 million

Holy Shit if that's true...

so I'm reading that it adds 2 years with 61 million of the 63 million guaranteed.   

2 questions:

So if it lowers the cap hit this year 10 million we have to assume that 10 million will be paid out over then next 2 years right?  so if he is looking at a 32 million average over the next 3 years can we assume that his hit next year will be over 35 million, closer to 37 to 40?  

also,  if this year was already guaranteed,  and his new deal has 61 of 63 guaranteed,   he is basically guaranteed his money for the next 3 years,  so essentially another fully guaranteed deal?

or am I missing some details?

I'll bet the Tannehill deal helped cement parameters..

The deal, which has an average annual value of $29.5 million, includes $62 million fully guaranteed, the source told Darlington. Tannehill also will receive $91 million in total guarantees, according to Darlington. The Titans announced a multiyear extension for Tannehill on Sunday but did not disclose terms.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2890...18-million

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
so I'm reading that it adds 2 years with 61 million of the 63 million guaranteed.   

2 questions:

So if it lowers the cap hit this year 10 million we have to assume that 10 million will be paid out over then next 2 years right?  so if he is looking at a 32 million average over the next 3 years can we assume that his hit next year will be over 35 million, closer to 37 to 40?  

also,  if this year was already guaranteed,  and his new deal has 61 of 63 guaranteed,   he is basically guaranteed his money for the next 3 years,  so essentially another fully guaranteed deal?

or am I missing some details?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/kirk-cousins-9915/ 

That should help answer your questions...I had to look it up to understand

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Wetlander said:
@AGRforever said:
@SDCAVIKESFAN said:

I had a million scenarios in my head on where RS/MZ extensions fit in with the QB's...I do think this means they're going to keep that band together another couple seasons.

Now they need to have an eye towards the future @ QB. How much do they value the upside of Hurts???

This is the year for Minnesota to take a swing at a raw guy with huge upside that can sit for a few years. Anywhere in round 2-5. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Wetlander said:
@AGRforever said:
@SDCAVIKESFAN said:

This is the year for Minnesota to take a swing at a raw guy with huge upside that can sit for a few years. Anywhere in round 2-5. 
I think this contract extension pretty much eliminates that idea. I highly doubt they waste a draft pick on a guy who sits 3 out of 4 years of his rookie deal. I could be wrong, but if they wanted to follow that mindset then that will most likely occur, at the earliest, in next year's draft.

Initial actual thoughts, subject to change.

-I made peace with adding Cousins years in like October. I think we can work with it
-I think there were better ways to generate $10M in cap
-That said the contract isn't that bad. 21/31 is ok and 2022 will change