Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NBA and BLM
Interesting the NBA will be painting BLM on their basketball courts.  A nice gesture.  Might have more impact if painted on streets of high risk areas like Chicago's south side or do those black lives not matter as well?  Much larger potential for impact given the slaughter of African Americans on the south side.

its really not worth the fight is it?

Jimmy, you're correct.  Painting BLM on BB courts is just a gesture that will have minimal or no impact by the NBA.  But if the gesture has value, why not also paint it on the streets where many African American deaths occur?  No one will ask that question but of course will high 5 the NBA for their efforts to increase awareness and take a stand on the issue.  A nice gesture.  It will be nice when sports can just be sports without the interjection of a political agenda but that day may be over.

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
Jimmy, you're correct.  Painting BLM on BB courts is just a gesture that will have minimal or no impact by the NBA.  But if the gesture has value, why not also paint it on the streets where many African American deaths occur?  No one will ask that question but of course will high 5 the NBA for their efforts to increase awareness and take a stand on the issue.  A nice gesture.  It will be nice when sports can just be sports without the interjection of a political agenda but that day may be over.
the nba athletes have major stances with social issue in the US,  but completely turn their back to the issues in china,  its all about what sells and pointing out the hypocrisy in the movement will not make them a dime in endorsement money or fame.

i am with you that the message is screwy,  i agree that black live matter,  just like red white yellow and brown lives... no more, no less.

it would be nice if sports could be our escape from this shit,  but alas regardless of our feelings we will be beaten down with the message until we either go ape shit crazy,  or we just tune it out all together.

EDIT:  but my point was... in terms of the board,  is it really worth the fight?   you know that this is a no common ground issue,  you are either fully in support of the blm message or you are a racist... its just not worth the fight IMO anymore.

I  agree on the sports Jimmy.  Would be nice if we could enjoy them without overt politics and propaganda.  (to be clear, I am not just speaking of the BLM stuff of recent)
But sadly it looks like pro sports are going the way of the dinosaur.  And even more sad, our high school sports may be as well.  Guess we will have to go back to kids just playing sports on their own.