Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Third time a charm? Or been there done that?
On their list of players that could emerge as “surprise starters” for their teams, Bleacher Reporthas advanced the name of third-year defensive tackle Hercules Mata’afa as a player that could emerge in 2020. This isn’t the first time this offseason that the idea has been advanced, either.
If you’ll recall, we reported back in April that Mata’afa had put on a substantial amount of weight, tipping the scales at nearly 290 pounds. After giving it a go as an undersized defensive tackle early in his Vikings’ career. . .he’s been listed at around 255 on the team website. . .he now appears to have the size to hold up as a full-time defensive tackle in the NFL.
If you need another endorsement, we can give you one. How about the NFL’s best defensive line coach (and new Vikings co-defensive coordinator), Andre Patterson, making sure to drop Mata’afa’s name in an interview with the St. Paul Pioneer Press recently?
Quote:
https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/6/28/...-patterson

reminds me of saying i heard once.... something about labor and babies....

I'm remaining optimistic because obviously his talent level is good enough to keep him on the team as a 255 lb DT. If he truly is 290 pounds then he's going to fight for that other position. It's my hope that the guys knowing the spot is up for grabs will increase the will to improve. May the best man win

I think Mata'afa is never going to amount to much. Don't see it. Smallish guy that isn't great at anything. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I think Mata'afa is never going to amount to much. Don't see it. Smallish guy that isn't great at anything. 
He was a consensus AA at 255 lbs in college, so he's probably pretty good at something. Let's see how he is when heavier then decide

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@StickyBun said:
He was a consensus AA at 255 lbs in college, so he's probably pretty good at something. Let's see how he is when heavier then decide
Doesn't mean much. Many Heisman winners have flamed out in the NFL. The guy was undrafted. He's a 255 lb. DT. His odds are long to do anything. I've heard the same thing SO many times in the past on this board with all kinds of similar players. 

@Hawkvike25 said:
@StickyBun said:
Doesn't mean much. Many Heisman winners have flamed out in the NFL. The guy was undrafted. He's a 255 lb. DT. His odds are long to do anything. I've heard the same thing SO many times in the past on this board with all kinds of similar players. 
I wont disagree with that. What I'm simply implying is he has to be pretty good at something if the Vikes chose to keep around a severely undersized DT. If he's unable to produce now that he's heavier then they will let him go. They definitely saw enough to keep him around knowing it would be a project.

Yeah, but his name is Hercules. 

He's definitely got a shot. It's not like he's got a couple of All Pros he's got to beat out at 3T. 

I actually think adding weight will hinder him, not help. He doesn't have the frame for it - he has a LB frame and 255 is probably his max - he might have played even lighter in college. Now he will be musclebound and a bit less quick, and he is reportedly 290...do you think he will be a run-stuffing LOS controller? Hardly, even at 290 he is undersized at DT.