Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone have this same nagging suspicion?
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Next week will be the most filling since between FA and the draft they have the ability to fill/re-fill most of the holes on the roster. People have a negative taste in their mouths from our performance against the 49ers, which almost every team reminisces on the final game of the season. But the reality is that most of the subtractions will happen on a defense that was inconsistent at best. 

The offense will be supplemented here or there but the performance last year should be expected this coming season. If you wanted to be more liberal you could call that the floor with an anticipated upgrade at LG. But like every other team you're hoping for some injury luck along the way. 

Defensively people are worked up about the secondary, but the larger issue still the run defense. It was marginally better in 2019 but still allowed too many 3rd and short situations. It indirectly made the secondary look worse at times (outside of the Dallas game). From what I know, they want to get better up front. They have a lot of faith in Mike Hughes & Holton Hill and you can see why. Doesn't mean they won't add at CB, but an improvement along the D-line, which was the initial approach when Zimmer was named coach probably makes the most sense. 

So in that long winded response, I don't think they will take a massive step back. But I also have a hard time seeing the step forward to be a true Super Bowl contender either. 
While I think that Hill is a decent player, I would have a hard time relying him because of his off the field issues. Though maybe the new CBA helps here. I am curious to see if they can retain Waynes, since it sounds like Alexander wants to test the market and we need some stability at corner.

I do worry about going back to Sendejo after Harris played so well. Sendejo is fine, but can be reckless at times.

DT was already a major need before releasing Joseph & now it is a critical need. We might be able to get away with Stephen for a year at NT, but it is bot ideal. Johnson has never established himself & Watts seems like a nice player to rotate in. We don’t seem to have anyone who can command double teams or consistently generate quick interior pressure. I’d like to see a FA plus a draft pick used on DTs.

I'm a bit frustrated D is our #1 draft need - after years of investing heavily on that side of the ball. The payoff was NFCCG losses. The joy of being a Vikings fan. 

Now it can be argued effectively that DT and CB are the #1 needs on this team. OK, LG too.  

I'm seriously hoping that Love slides, the Colts come calling with the #34 and #44, and we solve all three problems before the third round starts. Gallimore, Cushenberry, and Terrell. 

BOOM!

Of course, this would work too...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
I'm seriously hoping that Love slides, the Colts come calling with the #34 and #44, and we solve all three problems before the third round starts. Gallimore, Cushenberry, and Terrell. 

BOOM!
You almost had me but I'm a No on Terrell. Never lived up to the hype.

Gallimore and Watts intrigues me. Shit, sign Ragnow or McGovern and go Blacklock and Gallimore and I'm your Huckleberry. 

Some nice NT options in FA too. Folks tend to forget that Joseph wasn't a Tier 1 Free Agent. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

BOOM!

Gallimore and Watts intrigues me. Shit, sign Ragnow or McGovern and go Blacklock and Gallimore and I'm your Huckleberry. 

Some nice NT options in FA too. Folks tend to forget that Joseph wasn't a Tier 1 Free Agent. 
Which Terrell are we talking about? AJ? If so, I think he's the most underrated CB in the draft. But he'll go in the 1st round. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:

BOOM!
I think Love goes in the top 10. Before Herbert. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@FSUVike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

BOOM!

Which Terrell are we talking about? AJ? If so, I think he's the most underrated CB in the draft. But he'll go in the 1st round. 
I sort of like that we don't always agree. Terrell will go late 1st early 2nd and I don't know why. Strikes me as a guy who's always right there to make the tackle after the completion but is rarely doing anything to prevent it. At least that's how he looked against LSU's NFL level WRs.

Just feels like a year where a lot of the Cornees are supposed to be really good but when I watch them I'm hardly blown away. Diggs, Terrell, Delpit at Safety. Great athletes that don't make near as many plays as the hype.

But I am starting to dig your guy Blacklock more and more. I was keen on Madubuike at first but he's got some more work to do, might have a lower floor and a lower ceiling. 

I'm starting to think based on Guru's comments that the D-Line is the 1st pick unless a Tackle falls instead of CB. He's right that the team gave up way too many 4-8 yard runs up the gut last year to set up 3rd and shorts. Reader and a high round 3T with Johnson and Watts as rotational pieces would go a long way to fixing that.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

BOOM!
I think Love goes in the top 10. Before Herbert. 
I was listening to speculation that he may be ahead of Tua on some boards.  The logic is Tua got hurt in college so he will likely be injury prone as a pro and it has him sliding.