Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazing when you see the entire list...
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Magnus10 said:
@wiviking said:
Can Reiff move to guard? Remmers was a serviceable tackle, but possibly the worst guard I have watched play. Not saying Reiff cant make the change, but it isn't a sure thing.
I don’t like the idea of shuffling around the oline.   Given the Remmers failed move to G, and how much Elflein struggles in pass pro in his move from C to G, I think we should either draft a G early or sign a tier 2-3 FA a la Kline.   I am worried about moving ONeill to the left side, moving Remmers to G, etc.  That could seriously screw up multiple spots.  Reiff is serviceable as a LT, basically average according to PFF.  Maybe he takes a pay cut or a restructure, or let him play out the last year of his deal. Give Udoh another year, hopefully as the swing tackle, and maybe draft a potential replacement for Reiff that can sit and learn for a year.  
Reiff has 2 years left and if he wont restructure (why would he?)  then I think we need to draft a future LT and get him going at LG,  and we also need to sign somebody with experience at LG in case rookie cant go.  but between a veteran, Samia, and a rookie I would sure as hell hope that we can do better than Elf did last year.
I don't think you need the veteran if you draft the LG / future LT in the 1st three rounds. A Samia / high pick competition should result in a starter better than the Eflin Wonder. 

I was disappointed We didn't get to see Ham and Morgan and Cook work together Last Season.

Having Morgan back in the blocking scheme is going to take the run game to a level fans have maybe never seen before.

A strong draft for tackles is so rare, I am biased towards rooting for a top tackle, and realizing I'm experiencing Viking Groundhog Day for the tenth year in a row.

Udoh is more physically gifted than R Hill, and O'Neill was an absolute steal in The 2nd.

An Interior OL strongman would be nice for once in order to get away from being overly-reliant on those tricksy finesse zone schemes that frequently got blown up before they started.

It looked to me like Kubiak was protecting his interior guys with scheme due to their inability to consistently hold the point.

I thought their below-average pass pro was their biggest limitation Last Year.  Not Defense.

I didn't bat an eye when they took Bradbury, and another top athlete to bookend O'Neill would be just fine with me.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Magnus10 said:
@wiviking said:
Can Reiff move to guard? Remmers was a serviceable tackle, but possibly the worst guard I have watched play. Not saying Reiff cant make the change, but it isn't a sure thing.
I don’t like the idea of shuffling around the oline.   Given the Remmers failed move to G, and how much Elflein struggles in pass pro in his move from C to G, I think we should either draft a G early or sign a tier 2-3 FA a la Kline.   I am worried about moving ONeill to the left side, moving Remmers to G, etc.  That could seriously screw up multiple spots.  Reiff is serviceable as a LT, basically average according to PFF.  Maybe he takes a pay cut or a restructure, or let him play out the last year of his deal. Give Udoh another year, hopefully as the swing tackle, and maybe draft a potential replacement for Reiff that can sit and learn for a year.  
Reiff has 2 years left and if he wont restructure (why would he?)  then I think we need to draft a future LT and get him going at LG,  and we also need to sign somebody with experience at LG in case rookie cant go.  but between a veteran, Samia, and a rookie I would sure as hell hope that we can do better than Elf did last year.
Restructuring doesn't necessarily mean a pay cut. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Magnus10 said:
@wiviking said:
Restructuring doesn't necessarily mean a pay cut. 
what good would it do to restructure him if some dont think he is worth what he is already scheduled to make?  kicking that can down the road through cap games is just a stupid way to be mediocre this year and pay for it in the future.  if we are going to create space this year by deferring money to future years,  at least make sure its on a player that you want to have around in 2 years so you arent back to the same issue then.

Quote: @Magnus10 said:
@wiviking said:

Fans speculate about moving around players Olineman  like they are interchangeable, but then results aren't there in the games during the season.

Maybe I'm forgetting but I can't name an Oline player that the Vikes have moved who has gone on to flourish and play well.

Can ya name one?

Quote: @Mattyman said:
@Magnus10 said:
@wiviking said:

Fans speculate about moving around players Olineman  like they are interchangeable, but then results aren't there in the games during the season.

Maybe I'm forgetting but I can't name an Oline player that the Vikes have moved who has gone on to flourish and play well.

Can ya name one?
Other than swing tackles and interior players who shuffle all the time, I can't think of any starting tackles who switched sides for the Vikings. But it does happen in the NFL. Tyron Smith played his 1st couple of years on the right before moving to the left. Reiff played left, then right, then left again. Half of the guards in the NFL were tackles in college. Half of the RTs in the NFL were LTs in college. 

I don't think it's as big a deal as some think for younger players. But once a tackle gets established on one side or the other, it's probably a good idea to just leave him there. O'Neill is probably borderline. 

It's unavoidable that we are going to lose some talented players this year. We know that Harris is unlikely to be back and that Alexander is going to test the market, but outside of that everything is still up in the air. It will be nice once the front office starts making some moves, since it will give us some sense of which direction the front office is headed. The roster will be different next year, but I don't have a feel for how it will look yet.