Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LaConfora on an acid trip
LMAO. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-i...ague-year/
Minnesota Vikings
What would the trade value be for Kirk Cousins and Dalvin Cook? I'd be finding out. Keeping this team together will be impossible given the cap crunch and, furthermore, it would be misguided. This front office needs to embrace creative ideas and be open to remaking the roster now, because a year from now it will only be much worse.

Yeah, read this the other day.  Being bold or being stupid?  Their cap problems involve more than KC or DC's contracts.  It's paying for old players who are no longer worth their salaries.  The "hard' decisions involve our D and O lines and defensive backs. 
The Pat's hold all them Lombardi's by not being stupid.

It all really depends on what is coming out of Cousins camp.  I have said for months that his attitude towards being a team player contract wise should determine his future here and if he wants to keep chasing the top of the market... send him packing.  If sending him packing now could generate some decent draft capital... WTF not listen to offers?

I am still not sold on DC either as a long term answer at RB,  his durability is always going to be a concern for me... until it isnt and tying a large cap number to that concerns me.  He is a great player when healthy and does add to the offense,  but how much more does he really add over a guy that plays for half or less per year like Mattison or some other young and hungry RB... i just dont see the RB position as one where you want to be paying for superstar when slighlty above league average pay will net enough to keep the chains moving with quality OL and a decent passing game.

Quote: @StickyBun said:What would the trade value be for Kirk Cousins and Dalvin Cook? I'd be finding out. Keeping this team together will be impossible given the cap crunch and, furthermore, it would be misguided. This front office needs to embrace creative ideas and be open to remaking the roster now, because a year from now it will only be much worse.
Setting aside the fact that the Vikings will 100% not do that, I'll give my thoughts on "should they?".
All offseason I've been wanting the Vikings to draft a QB or explore options for moving beyond Cousins, either in this draft or by adding picks for next year. I'm just not sold on him anymore.
BUT... No team is trading away a Top 10 QB with no other in-house option. That's going WAY too far and not even a Cousins skeptic like myself would want that. Further, trading him away and giving all that money to a Free Agent QB instead is just as risky as keeping him. Probably moreso.

So that's dumb.
As far as Dalvin goes... yeah I guess they could look at trading him but who is going to bite? The Chargers tested Melvin Gordon's market last year and found out fast that there was none. Dalvin and Mel G aren't the same player but the idea we could get a haul for Dalvin is a fantasy. If the Vikings don't want to commit to Dalvin longterm, it's probably smarter to be upfront with him, hope that he balls out in a "pending free agency year", and split amicably. A motivated Dalvin next year is worth more than the ~3rd round pick the Vikings could get for him. If I'm way off and his value is a first or something then that's obviously another story.

If LaConfora is on acid, I must be having a flashback, because I agree with his basic idea, just not the way he would go about it.

I believe the Vikings should draft their QB of the future now. I'm not talking about hoping some QB slides down the draft board to 25. They should spend the draft capital to move up and get the QB they think will be the best NFL pro available. They would need to make the trades necessary to get the additional draft capital to move up. That probably wouldn't be Cook or Cousins, but could be. Fiscally they are stuck with Cousins. But a year of mentoring the new QB would be ideal.

If they choose to move up to get Herbert, they may not need to trade anyone, but he isn't going to slide to 25.

I'm not in favor of taking a QB in later rounds and hoping he will develop into a diamond in the rough. It occasionally happens but is rare, and usually a poor decision.

That's what I hope for. What will likely happen is extending Kirk and trying to patch holes with leftover inexpensive free agents and draft picks. I hope it works, but I feel like it will be more of the same. A team that is above average but not a true contender. Hope I'm wrong.

You can't force it. Herbert and Love are miles from a sure thing. Herbert missed open guys and takes the easy option so frequently he makes Cousins look like a gunslinger. You can't teach aggressiveness, and Justin doesn't have it. Love has talent but major consistency issues. I'd take him before Herbert because of the higher ceiling. But only if he falls into the late teens.

A lot of you just can't seem to accept the FACT that Rick & Mike went All In on Cousins. There is no Plan B. Frankly, if Kirk isn't the solution the last guys I want picking his successor are those two.

The team will either play great next year and extend everyone, or they won't and it's time for Regime Change. Do you really want a new GM and HC to inherit someone they have zero invested in ala Rosen in Arizona or Haskins in Washington? The answer is No.

[Image: 1p3w10yxuy6z.jpeg]

Quote: @FSUVike said:
You can't force it. Herbert and Love are miles from a sure thing. Herbert missed open guys and takes the easy option so frequently he makes Cousins look like a gunslinger. You can't teach aggressiveness, and Justin doesn't have it. Love has talent but major consistency issues. I'd take him before Herbert because of the higher ceiling. But only if he falls into the late teens.

A lot of you just can't seem to accept the FACT that Rick & Mike went All In on Cousins. There is no Plan B. Frankly, if Kirk isn't the solution the last guys I want picking his successor are those two.

The team will either play great next year and extend everyone, or they won't and it's time for Regime Change. Do you really want a new GM and HC to inherit someone they have zero invested in ala Rosen in Arizona or Haskins in Washington? The answer is No.
Cousins is the answer. But only if you ask the right question. And that question is "can he win a championship given a top supporting cast (read: better protection)? Yeah, I think so. And I do think he gets extended. 

I would say ALL QBs are miles away from a sure thing. Was just listening to a podcast on my lunch break and one guy said that Love is nowhere near what Mahomes is. Drives me crazy. "IS??" You can't compare prospects to what NFL players are now. You have to compare them as prospects. And there were a LOT of questions about Mahomes, too. 

“He’s crazy. He plays crazy. He’ll do anything. I don’t even think “gunslinger’ is the right word. He’s reckless.”
That personnel man wasn’t alone in his negative evaluation of the quarterback from Texas Tech.
“He’s in ‘that offense’ and the way he plays, he’s very erratic,” another director from an NFC team said. “You can see the talent but he’s just so streaky and wild and reckless. He put a lot of balls up for grabs where you’re saying, ‘Man, what are you going to get with him?’
“He could (come on) but I don’t see it. I just don’t think he has the necessary qualities. He has no vision, no mechanics. He’s erratic as hell. He makes a lot of mistakes. It’s going to be a long (development).”
“When you start looking at players that play off the script it concerns you, and a lot of what he does is off-script. In the NFL, when you get off-script is when you make big, big errors. It’s not as easy to make the off-script play on our level as it is at Texas Tech.”
Two other evaluators graded Mahomes to go in the third round.
“Doubt his ability to be successful as a traditional NFL quarterback,” said one. “Plenty of arm strength but lacking accuracy and poise to be an NFL starter.”
Said the other: “He’s somewhere in the bridge or backup quarterback (mode). This player is better in concept than practice.”
“He’s not ready right now. He believes in his arm so much that it’s a problem sometimes. He can crash and burn. Can he make plays from structure? That’s why he’s not a top-10 pick. "
One AFC scout referred to the Texas Tech system as “this gunslinger spread offense bullshit that no quarterback has ever succeeded from, really.” Another said, “He does (have ability), but he plays in that junk offense.”

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
If LaConfora is on acid, I must be having a flashback, because I agree with his basic idea, just not the way he would go about it.

I believe the Vikings should draft their QB of the future now. I'm not talking about hoping some QB slides down the draft board to 25. They should spend the draft capital to move up and get the QB they think will be the best NFL pro available. They would need to make the trades necessary to get the additional draft capital to move up. That probably wouldn't be Cook or Cousins, but could be. Fiscally they are stuck with Cousins. But a year of mentoring the new QB would be ideal.

If they choose to move up to get Herbert, they may not need to trade anyone, but he isn't going to slide to 25.

I'm not in favor of taking a QB in later rounds and hoping he will develop into a diamond in the rough. It occasionally happens but is rare, and usually a poor decision.

That's what I hope for. What will likely happen is extending Kirk and trying to patch holes with leftover inexpensive free agents and draft picks. I hope it works, but I feel like it will be more of the same. A team that is above average but not a true contender. Hope I'm wrong.
Cousins has improved each year he has been with the Vikings.  If he improved again (better stats... winning more games that "he's" not supposed to win), then what?  Release him?  He's not very far away from being a "franchise" QB (if he's not already).  And we're supposed to roll alot of dice (it's not like we have a top-5 pick) to try and find the next Mahomes or L. Jackson?  The only way that the risk would be worth it... is if we knew- for sure- that the QB we get WILL be the next Mahomes.  And there's no way to know that... which is why I wouldn't bet the farm on landing one.

Quote: @pumpf said:
@jargomcfargo said:

Cousins has improved each year he has been with the Vikings.  If he improved again (better stats... winning more games that "he's" not supposed to win), then what?  Release him?  He's not very far away from being a "franchise" QB (if he's not already).  And we're supposed to roll alot of dice (it's not like we have a top-5 pick) to try and find the next Mahomes or L. Jackson?  The only way that the risk would be worth it... is if we knew- for sure- that the QB we get WILL be the next Mahomes.  And there's no way to know that... which is why I wouldn't bet the farm on landing one.
That is entirely possible. I hope you are right. If Cousins wins you pay the big bucks to extend him. Make him earn it.
But that's not how it will go. They will extend him now and at the end of the season you will be looking to draft the future if things don't work out. After all, Cousins wasn't an unknown and they rolled the dice on him.
It's too bad he needs a great O-line to win it all. If he was as good as Keenum was on off script plays, the Vikings would be very hard to beat. If Keenum had the arm and accuracy Cousins has, he would still be here. He sure was Houdini several times.
I just want a championship and I don't see it happening by following the same coarse. Time will tell.