Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick On Dalvin From The Combine

[Image: 3IuNjz98_bigger.jpg]
"I put Dalvin in the same class as I have all of our other young guys ... we try to keep our core young talent that we draft and develop." - GM Rick Spielman on

I love Dalvin as much as the next Vikes fan, but if we sign him to a mega contract, given his injury history, I’m going to be calling for Rick’s head.  It would be much worse than when we signed Barr, not really having the finances....   Both are great players, but we have to make smart decisions for the medium to long term viability of this franchise’s chances of winning given our salary cap situation.

Quote: @Studvike84 said:
I love Dalvin as much as the next Vikes fan, but if we sign him to a mega contract, given his injury history, I’m going to be calling for Rick’s head.  It would be much worse than when we signed Barr, not really having the finances....   Both are great players, but we have to make smart decisions for the medium to long term viability of this franchise’s chances of winning given our salary cap situation.

Geez, I'm used to being the first one to call for Rick's head in ANY thread, but...this is a bit harsh. My first thought would be, "What are the terms?" and you did say MEGA contract. So I would be unhappy to see him given a deal along the lines of Gurley or Bell. Something with minimal guaranteed money so the team is protected, OTOH, may be OK.
I think teams are really in a tough spot with RBs now. Tough fans can say, "Backs are a dime a dozen, they get hurt and their careers are over, let them walk", but I think GMs hate when they let a player leave and he excels elsewhere. RB is probably the 2nd most visible role on a team, and statistically the easiest to measure. Can't help that half the current Vikings fans spent a decade expecting 100-200 yards from Peterson in any game.

Quote: @Studvike84 said:
Our cap situation will be alleviated by cutting and/or restructuring older players like Joseph, Rhodes, Reiff, Cousins, etc. Not by sacrificing emerging, young talent--a player who is actually in the conversation as the best player in the NFL at his position. On a team that runs the ball. Cook will be extended.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Studvike84 said:
Our cap situation will be alleviated by cutting and/or restructuring older players like Joseph, Rhodes, Reiff, Cousins, etc. Not by sacrificing emerging, young talent--a player who is actually in the conversation as the best player in the NFL at his position. On a team that runs the ball. Cook will be extended.  
with his injury history, at a position that is historically injury heavy,  there has to be team protections.

One of the biggest factors in whether or not we give Cook a large extension may be the development of Mattison.  I think he gives the Vikes a lot of flexibility in the situation that most teams wouldn't have.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Studvike84 said:
with his injury history, at a position that is historically injury heavy,  there has to be team protections.
That's just it though. Running backs get hurt. And I think that, and their value to an offense, is already baked into their salaries. Among the top 50 salaries in the NFL, there is only one RB.

I remember a stat at one point last year where Cook was on some sort of "iron man" list in the top 5. Most consecutive starts, or maybe most consecutive games played without showing up on the injury report...something like that.  I wish I could find it because I know it sounds hard to believe. But It's just a reminder that backs are always dinged up.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Studvike84 said:
That's where the over-worked and much appreciated Brez comes in...

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Studvike84 said:
That's just it though. Running backs get hurt. And I think that, and their value to an offense, is already baked into their salaries. Among the top 50 salaries in the NFL, there is only one RB.

I remember a stat at one point last year where Cook was on some sort of "iron man" list in the top 5. Most consecutive starts, or maybe most consecutive games played without showing up on the injury report...something like that.  I wish I could find it because I know it sounds hard to believe. But It's just a reminder that backs are always dinged up.

i would love to have seen that,  i likely would have shot beer/whiskey out my nose.

The more time passes , the more the Mattison pick is proving to have been a shrewd choice.  

A lot of fans questioned the 3 times the Vikings traded down , then they questioned why the Vikes took Mattison.

My theory is Mattison was Kubiaks choice. It became obvious by week 5? Kubiak is smarter than Viking fans.

Mattison will be better in 2020.  

Cook is amazing and I hope he retires a Vike.