Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dumb Decisions: The STUPIDEST Field Goal Ever
&feature=emb_logo
We made the "dumbest decision ever" video and it wasn't even us that made it!!!  Gosh we had a bunch of no names in 2013.

Wahoo, usually we're the "butt" of these type videos!  Dodged one!  LOL

Quote: @IDVikingfan said:
Wahoo, usually we're the "butt" of these type videos!  Dodged one!  LOL

I know, there's SO MANY of them that are us.  Bought time we dodged one of them!!!

So was there ever an explanation as to why they kicked on 2nd down? I'm not even sure how that works. You don't get to try it again if you miss, right? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
So was there ever an explanation as to why they kicked on 2nd down? I'm not even sure how that works. You don't get to try it again if you miss, right? 
thats right,  IMO they go for the FG there as it is game over if he makes it,  and I am guessing that Tresman had little confidence in his offense not screwing up.

If the kick is blocked, lands behind the line of scrimmage and the offense recovers, who's possession is it and what's the down and distance?

With old OT rules, coaches we're pretty primed to the logic of a FG on 3rd down. I totally understand lining up on 3rd down - if the kick doesn't get off you have another opportunity.  I bet their coach was so confident in Gould's range and accuracy from that spot that having 3 chances to actually get the kick off seemed like a big brain - no brainer. Looks pretty silly when you only needed the first try to miss from 49 yards.

First question is asked because I'm not sure; I know if you don't get the attempt off you don't lose possession. Is it like a punt where possession changes off the punters foot or is a field goal treated like a fumble behind the line? I'm drawing a blank on that rule...

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
If the kick is blocked, lands behind the line of scrimmage and the offense recovers, who's possession is it and what's the down and distance?

With old OT rules, coaches we're pretty primed to the logic of a FG on 3rd down. I totally understand lining up on 3rd down - if the kick doesn't get off you have another opportunity.  I bet their coach was so confident in Gould's range and accuracy from that spot that having 3 chances to actually get the kick off seemed like a big brain - no brainer. Looks pretty silly when you only needed the first try to miss from 49 yards.

First question is asked because I'm not sure; I know if you don't get the attempt off you don't lose possession. Is it like a punt where possession changes off the punters foot or is a field goal treated like a fumble behind the line? I'm drawing a blank on that rule...
Off the foot it is a free ball until it crosses the LOS unless I am mistaken.