Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One Young, One Old?
I've batted around several different ideas, including Dennard and Fuller. I will change my mind again, but right now I'm on Eli Apple. Former 1st round bust, he won't cost much. Despite his mediocre play, Apple has shown flashes for stretches that remind why he was a 1st round pick. He might be a player Zimmer can fix.

I don't resign Waynes or Harris. Waynes isn't worth what he'll get and I don't like the idea of so much money going to the safety position. I do resign Mackenzie Alexander though. I draft two safeties in the 1st 4 rounds (1st two picks are DT and DE, the 3rd a OT)

CB - Hughes, Apple, Alexander, Hill

S - Harry, Sendejo, Dugger, Chinn

He may go as high as a #1 pick, but I would love to see Antoine Winfield Jr playing S for the Vikings...

Would I take him in the 2nd rd? If they let Ant walk?

I'd be game for that...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
He may go as high as a #1 pick, but I would love to see Antoine Winfield Jr playing S for the Vikings...

I'd be game for that...
I would like Winfield Jr. as well...if they can resign Ant Harris. CB offseason is sure going to be interesting...I really don't want a rookie starting at corner in Zimmer's system as I think that is going to be bad news bears in the NFC. With that being said, resign Mack and hope Hill makes a leap forward and we may be in an alright position. Plus, we have a PRO BOWL CB returning LOLZ

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'd be game for that...
I would like Winfield Jr. as well...if they can resign Ant Harris. CB offseason is sure going to be interesting...I really don't want a rookie starting at corner in Zimmer's system as I think that is going to be bad news bears in the NFC. With that being said, resign Mack and hope Hill makes a leap forward and we may be in an alright position. Plus, we have a PRO BOWL CB returning LOLZ
which system is that though?  we arent running the same defense that we were a year two ago that relied on corners to be in man all the time.  as others have pointed out he is using a lot more zone schemes to account for a variety of changes in the game and personnel.

Zimmer runs a lot of different sets and disguises. I dont know if a rookie will be able to handle all of that successfully. I'm not at all referring to either man or zone

Hughes was playing a lot as a Rookie. Look up the snap counts. He also was looking far more developed than Waynes did as a Rookie.

If Mike identifies as more polished prospect there is no reason to think he won't play a lot. If it's a rawer guy then the need to keep at least one of the FAs as well as sign one grows.

Hughes definitely was and I was really excited about him, but we don't really know where he stands right now given his most recent injury. Fingers crossed though

The guy I wanted over Ponder just became available...

Resign Mac, draft a CB in the first 3 rounds, sign JJoseph to a vet deal to be our Newman 2.0

Hughes-Hill-Mac-2nd Rd-Joseph should have at the minimum same production as last year at a 1/3rd of the price

How the DB's get valued on the FA market will probably shape the Vikings path more than anything else. Until they have a solution on the outside I think you need to look at Xavier as a restructure candidate vs. outright cut. If they can sign a FA they can move on from Rhodes at that point. Mike Hughes is the next real wildcard and its not due to his health. It comes down to if he'll provide more value long-term in the slot or outside. He can play both but the tea leaves have suggester the long-term plan may be to play him inside. If you really go back it wasn't until after Hughes was drafted that Mac developed significantly. If it plays out like this then Holton Hill is CB2 which he is well capable of assuming he can stay on the field. Other name to keep in mind for the slot if Marcus Sayles. 

If you'd asked me a week or two ago I would have said resigning Ant Harris was a no brainer. After looking and thinking on it some more I think they may end up letting him walk. Or at a minimum attempt to tag and trade him. Joe-El said it above, but playing next to Harrison Smith really simplifies things for the FS. Not trying to downplay Ant's talent, he's great, but you can't lock up $20+M in safeties. Karl Joseph has always been on MN's radar and will be a much most cost friendly move and could be paired with a draft pick. But I keep swaying back and forth on it.