Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cook Doesn't Seem To Be Headed To A Holdout

Not surprising with the new player contract coming up.

I hope they can get it done without any stink.  I do believe he should get a pretty nice contract, but Cook must also realize that he really hasn't proven his dependability (read durability) either.  He's only played in 29 of the possible 48 regular season games and played hurt during a handful of those while also leaving a couple due to injury.  Any team would be a bit hesitant with players that miss about half the games. 

I wouldn't pay him top money. Not in this system anyways. I think you let someone else pay big money and keep drafting well. Granted, Cook is great when healthy. 

Quote: @Canthony said:
I wouldn't pay him top money. Not in this system anyways. I think you let someone else pay big money and keep drafting well. Granted, Cook is great when healthy. 
With Kubiak 's history of finding late round or UDFA and developing them, I think you're right. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/Marcus_Mosher...44/photo/1

Take a look at the leading rusher from the last 11 Super Bowls and their base salary:
[Image: EP3FUu7X4AAr8jX?format=png&name=small]

what just makes me smack my head is that we arent even a decade removed from being handcuffed by our last over priced RB.   It was discussed ad nauseum about how spending top money on a RB doesnt make good financial sense in the NFL where a quality OL can make an average back look all pro.  Cook is a damn good back,  but put that money in to the OL and you will see any back perform at a similar level and will be able to afford several of them with money left over for other areas.

honestly I am not sure why anybody with pro aspirations would want to play RB, shortest careers of any position and its becoming pretty widely accepted that they arent worth their big dollar contracts.

Not only a good OL, but a good scheme...I love Cook when he's on, but he just can't stay healthy...and he definitely got worn down the second half of the year...give me Mattison and Boone and add a guy like Jack Conklin...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Not only a good OL, but a good scheme...I love Cook when he's on, but he just can't stay healthy...and he definitely got worn down the second half of the year...give me Mattison and Boone and add a guy like Jack Conklin...
and the mid round compensatory pick when somebody else overpays for Cooks services!

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
what just makes me smack my head is that we arent even a decade removed from being handcuffed by our last over priced RB.   It was discussed ad nauseum about how spending top money on a RB doesnt make good financial sense in the NFL where a quality OL can make an average back look all pro.  Cook is a damn good back,  but put that money in to the OL and you will see any back perform at a similar level and will be able to afford several of them with money left over for other areas.

honestly I am not sure why anybody with pro aspirations would want to play RB, shortest careers of any position and its becoming pretty widely accepted that they arent worth their big dollar contracts.
Sucks that we keep drafting so well. 

I disagree that "any back" would perform at a similar level. However, I do think the Cook contract is worthy of debate. Grab a 4th round back from the draft and with him, Mattison and Boone, you could easily duplicate what the 49ers had this year. Mostly, I just want to wait and see what Cook does in 2020 behind what should be a much better line. And it's not like we have to make that decision this off season.