Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
$18M in cap space, keeping Reiff and Griff
Vikings can enter free agency with $18M in cap space by cutting Rhodes and Joseph and restructuring $12M from the salaries of Reiff and Griffen. 

https://twitter.com/LukeBraunNFL/status/...60512?s=20

The long-term implications of restructuring Reiff are not good. It makes his 2021 cap number nearly $19M with $7M in dead money. He is a better candidate for an extension/restructure. That way they have some flexibility to spread the money out over time while still guaranteeing Reiff more money. Rudolph's extension last year was a good example of this. 

Ogdenigbo+Weatherly>Griffen, IMO. Way cheaper. Probably not as up and down as Everson, who yet again disappeared for huge stretches this year. Just don't see any point in keeping him around when you can get arguably better production for much less money.

Reiff is a different story. You take Becton (please Lord, let it be) or even Jones in the 1st and they if they don't secure the LT role Reiff stays put and the kid slides to LG. If the draft pick earns the job Reiff kicks inside. He's literally twice the athlete Remmers was and profiles to make the switch at a far greater probability of success. He might struggle a little with speed guys but most OGs do, which is why they aren't Tackles.

This all presupposes that Udoh is Hill's replacement at swing Tackle, which I find likely as you simply can't walk into potentially the final year of Rick, Mike, Kirk and Dalvin with Oli pencilled in as a starting OT. He may earn it, but you can't risk that he doesn't by putting all your eggs in that basket.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
The long-term implications of restructuring Reiff are not good. It makes his 2021 cap number nearly $19M with $7M in dead money. He is a better candidate for an extension/restructure. That way they have some flexibility to spread the money out over time while still guaranteeing Reiff more money. Rudolph's extension last year was a good example of this. 
If you read Luke's twitter thread, he (and others) do a lot of different scenarios. There are so many things to consider beyond just money. Impact to the depth chart, for example. Take Rudolph. If you cut him (unlikely, I know) that only gives you $3M in cap space. So is it worth it? On one hand, it doesn't save you much. But on the other, he is a player that we could lose without feeling it too much in the Xs and Os, especially if we get Morgan back (I like Brandon Dillon a lot, too). 

Everyone says we have to re-sign Harris, but name another team with $20M going to the safety position and almost nothing going to its corners. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
If you read Luke's twitter thread, he (and others) do a lot of different scenarios. There are so many things to consider beyond just money. Impact to the depth chart, for example. Take Rudolph. If you cut him (unlikely, I know) that only gives you $3M in cap space. So is it worth it? On one hand, it doesn't save you much. But on the other, he is a player that we could lose without feeling it too much in the Xs and Os, especially if we get Morgan back (I like Brandon Dillon a lot, too). 

Everyone says we have to re-sign Harris, but name another team with $20M going to the safety position and almost nothing going to its corners. 
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Think youre under appreciating what Rudy brought to the team this past year. He isnt going anywhere like you say but its not for cap reasons its because he a valuable target for cousins. 

@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Oh, they have a million different possibilities. But I wouldn't call Harris being back a sure thing. It doesn't make sense to spend $20M on safeties... especially if you're going to play a lot of zone. They could restructure Smith (which they have interest in doing) which makes his 2020 cap hit more palatable. That gives them some flexibility to either resign or tag Harris. That isn't a long-term solution though. 

The issue is that they don't have much depth at safety and I'm not sure they'll want to trust a rookie to start week one. Although I have a gut feeling Zimmer and the defensive staff are going to fall in love with Xavier McKinney. Kid can ball. 

Zimmer was comfortable with Sendejo starting for 3+ years - would he accept that while he develops a rookie?
Re the OP, I'm not convinced that the cuts of Rhodes and Joseph are the sure things being expressed in the media - especially Rhodes. Yes he declined badly, but he seems to be well-liked, still leaves millions of dead cap dollars (and the Vikings FO has worked very hard to avoid dead cap), and he's only 29. He's the kind of player that could be cut and end up reviving his career elsewhere. I think he gets restructured. We're short on DBs and I have to believe Zimmer believes he can still contribute - maybe as the "big nickel"?

Quote: @Jor-El said:
Zimmer was comfortable with Sendejo starting for 3+ years - would he accept that while he develops a rookie?
Re the OP, I'm not convinced that the cuts of Rhodes and Joseph are the sure things being expressed in the media - especially Rhodes. Yes he declined badly, but he seems to be well-liked, still leaves millions of dead cap dollars (and the Vikings FO has worked very hard to avoid dead cap), and he's only 29. He's the kind of player that could be cut and end up reviving his career elsewhere. I think he gets restructured. We're short on DBs and I have to believe Zimmer believes he can still contribute - maybe as the "big nickel"?
I don't necessarily disagree with that. Especially the part about the age. AT 29, there is no way his decline is age-related. I think of Richard Sherman. A couple years ago many were saying he was done. He was one of the best corners in the league this last year. 

Quote:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around how the DB field all regressed to the extent they did?
Gray was the fall guy, but each of those players needs to take a look in the mirror and the tape and do some soul searching too. 

I suppose the rules changes didnt help, but that's an awful lot of draft capital that doesnt look like a great ROI anymore....

Rhodes isn't going to rebound and you all know it. His game was never based on technique ala Newman or Sherman. It was based on speed and physicality. The speed is gone and the physicality has been legislated out of the League. 

At 29 I don't see Xavier suddenly learning the subtler techniques of being a fundamentally strong Cornerback and extending his career. He's Josh Norman. And like Norman he's no longer a starter.

One would think Zimmer would be glad to get rid of a guy who was overly reliant on his athleticism instead of technique now that it's painfully obvious that athleticism is gone.

I think it's more likely that he pounds the table to re-sign Waynes. Trae is still young enough that he might improve. I doubt it. He's never fully trusted his technique and has played tentatively more often than not. We've all seen the flashes of potential to be good or really good but there's no consistency. And then he regressed.

But I bet Mike can talk himself into turning Waynes around much more easily than Rhodes.