Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I don't support the death penalty
I might make an exception in this case. But only if they can find a way to make this man's death cruel and unusual. 

https://www.courant.com/news/connecticut/hc-news-sandy-hook-truther-arrest-20200127-pvgfk2dgwzebzc63pp73nqitli-story.html

A Florida man who is the ringleader of a group that has hounded the families of victims of the Sandy Hook school shooting was arrested early Monday morning by sheriffs and charged with unlawful possession of personal identification of another person.
Wolfgang Halbig has spent years trying to show the shooting was a hoax and that the 20 children who died were actually actors — as recently as the last few weeks he posted photos of children that he claimed were actually current photos of the victims. Halbig was arrested at 1:39 a.m. at his Sorrento, Florida, home, according to the police report.

Halbig is also a defendant in the civil lawsuit filed by Sandy Hook victims families against Alex Jones, the host of the Infowars internet radio program. The families are suing Jones for claiming the attack on Sandy Hook Elementary School that claimed the lives of 20 first graders and six educators was a hoax, and argue that he profited by spreading the hoax claim.

It's absolutely awful what these families went through and he added unnecessary agony. What a despicable POS, that goes for Alex Jones too.

There were/are people here that promoted this sick and disgusting hoax. It turned my stomach.

The problem with conspiracy theorists, imo, everything must be a conspiracy.

There was a woman that graduated from the local university that hid in a closet.  My twin brother taught a student who was from Sandy Hook and new the families.  

Alex Jones was a douchebag for this incident and many stopped watching him after it. 

Sad that any family loses a child in an incident like this.  Abhorrent that any human being can do this to others in their times of loss. 

I am pro life/anti death penalty.  So I favor tough and long prison sentences for these scums. 

That being said ... that doesn’t mean all conspiracy theories are wrong - I think the CIA are very bad people who have done very bad things to innocent people around the world for some insane reasoning - usually involving greed.  

I dont agree with his message ( or even his right to deliver it) ,  but once again arent we back to freedom of speech and who gets to exercise it and how?  either we are for limited freedom of speech or we arent.  I am fine with limiting shit like this,  but then who gets to decide what becomes criminal speech and what isnt?  what about the 911 conspiracy promoters?  what other speculations do people have the right to promote that is offensive and hurtful to others?

I have a friend, Rick, who believed that Sandy Hook was a hoax (+ 9/11 etc.).  I also have a HS friend who lives in Newtown and knew some of the people affected (obviously).  I told Rick about my other friend and that she had first hand knowledge that it was not a hoax and that children died.  Rick basically said everyone in Newtown got paid off to support the hoax.  I can't really deal with Rick anymore and haven't asked him about his current feelings about Sandy Hook.  The crap he sent me over the years to convince me it was a hoax was just crazy.   Rick is an old neighbor of mine and we were once quite close -- I am the godfather to one of his daughters and his sister is the godmother of my daughter -- but it is scary seeing the rabbit hole he has gone down this past couple of decades. 

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
I have a friend, Rick, who believed that Sandy Hook was a hoax (+ 9/11 etc.).  I also have a HS friend who lives in Newtown and knew some of the people affected (obviously).  I told Rick about my other friend and that she had first hand knowledge that it was not a hoax and that children died.  Rick basically said everyone in Newtown got paid off to support the hoax.  I can't really deal with Rick anymore and haven't asked him about his current feelings about Sandy Hook.  The crap he sent me over the years to convince me it was a hoax was just crazy.   Rick is an old neighbor of mine and we were once quite close -- I am the godfather to one of his daughters and his sister is the godmother of my daughter -- but it is scary seeing the rabbit hole he has gone down this past couple of decades. 
sorry to hear about your friend.  its scary how the internet and social media has the ability to completely kill some peoples ability to see through bull shit and the more that a person tries to inform themselves of the truth of situations the more apt they are to get sucked into some of these rabbit holes of misinformation.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
I think it's a social or chemical imbalance some of us have and some don't. Because you'll notice that those who tend to believe one tend to believe a lot of them.

I've said this before, but if I were ever to write a book on something, it would be about our propensity as human beings to believe conspiracy theories. It just fascinates me. 

Just yesterday my son came home and said that there were rumors going around school that Kobe wasn't really dead. It's so easy to start one and no shortage of folks willing to believe it, despite mountains of evidence contradicting it. The more evidence shown, the bigger and more insidious the conspiracy.

Interesting thoughts on the topic from LiveScience.com
We found that one major predictor of conspiracy belief was "schizotypy." That's a constellation of traits that include a tendency to be relatively untrusting, ideologically eccentric and prone to having unusual perceptual experiences (e.g., sensing stimuli that are not actually present). 
Schizotypy is the strongest predictor of conspiracy belief. In addition to experiencing the world in unusual ways, we found that people higher in schizotypy have an elevated need to feel unique, which has previously been linked with conspiracism. Why? Probably because believing in non-mainstream ideas allows people to stand out from their peers, but at the same time take refuge in a community of like-minded believers.
...Conspiracists had distinct cognitive tendencies: They were more likely than nonbelievers to judge nonsensical statements as profound – for example, "wholeness quiets infinite phenomena" – a tendency cheekily known as "bullshit receptivity."

I think a lot of it stems from simple disbelief that it happened. A rejection of something so violent, heinous and disgusting.

Like Jimmy said, from there, they find content that supports that rejection.

At least, for most people. I think there is a difference between a regular person speculating with available "facts" (including bullshit facts they aren't aware are inaccurate), and this guy. A person who purports to have all of this special access to the truth and sells fucking snake oil.

I guess I don’t see what is “death penalty worthy” here.  Did he do something that wasn’t really
mentioned in the article?