Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
At what point would you take a chance on Jalen Hurts?
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
Love > Hurts
I like Love a lot more but he'll be taken before Minnesota is comfortable taking a QB. That's my guy from 3 months ago. My thought process is to think about a realistic QB that Minnesota would draft and they won't take one in the first 2 rounds.
Not if they extend Cousins, which it sounds like they might be leaning toward. But if they don't, QB is in play at 25. 
If they don't extend Cousins I would imagine they'll leverage the entire roster and their draft arsenal to position themselves for the QB of their choice (outside of Burrows). 

My thought is that they will extend Cousins mainly for the cap benefits. Everything really flows downhill from that decision. Doesn't preclude them from taking a QB but it really would suggest they want to run it back while the roster still has some high-end talent. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Love > Hurts
As a philosophical statement, a profound observation MB.  And I totally agree.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
Love > Hurts
I like Love a lot more but he'll be taken before Minnesota is comfortable taking a QB. That's my guy from 3 months ago. My thought process is to think about a realistic QB that Minnesota would draft and they won't take one in the first 2 rounds.
Not if they extend Cousins, which it sounds like they might be leaning toward. But if they don't, QB is in play at 25. 
If they don't extend Cousins I would imagine they'll leverage the entire roster and their draft arsenal to position themselves for the QB of their choice (outside of Burrows). 

My thought is that they will extend Cousins mainly for the cap benefits. Everything really flows downhill from that decision. Doesn't preclude them from taking a QB but it really would suggest they want to run it back while the roster still has some high-end talent. 
How does the fact that the GM and head coach are only under contract for one more year factor into this decision?

I think Zygi needs to decide and if he anticipates making a change (a fresh perspective is not a bad idea especially at the GM spot), he really should consult someone before expending more money in Cousins or draft resources/players to move up for a QB.

What if he hires new people in 2021 that do not like who they drafted?

On a side note, I wonder if coordinator candidates are hesitant to come here considering the GM and head coach only have 2020 remaining on their deals.

I suspect the extensions will get done but it sure is odd timing.  IMHO.

• [Image: OK_178x142.png]
    Jim Nagy states that Oklahoma QB Jalen Hurts was named as one of the South Squad Offensive Practice Players of the Week at the Reese's Senior Bowl practices.One player was singled out by Nagy at each position group with the voting being conducted from a pool of the North's defensive players. There had been reports earlier in the week about Hurts' ball placement being sub-par, but apparently he rebounded to earn the respect of his opponents and be named as the best quarterback the South team had to offer. It will be interesting to see if Hurts can carry over the strong practice showings to the Senior Bowl itself.
    SOURCE: Jim Nagy on TwitterJan 24, 2020, 2:20 PM ET