Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did we learn about Vikings from the NFC title game?
I think what I learned is resigning Anthony Barr was a mistake as I have hardly any confidence in him in pass protection. We should have used that money to get another guard (I know we tried). Wilson will get better...I hope, but boy do we need another LB who can cover. This FA is going to be a big one when it comes to the defense.

Quote: @Norse said:
@BlackMagic7 said:
Kirk Cousins was sacked 28 times this season.
Jimmy Garoppolo was sacked 36 times this season.

Kirk had 444 attempts.
Jimmy had 476 attempts.

thats what, a difference of 8 sacks on 32 attempts?

Against SF, we had 2 sacks - they had 6. Kirk attempted 29 passes - Jimmy 19.

Cousins threw 6 INTs this season.
Garoppolo threw 13 INTs.

Against SF, each QB threw 1.

Against SF, Kirk pushed 21 completions for 172 yards.
Against MN, Jimmy pushed 11 completions for 131 yards.

The 49ers picked up 9 first downs passing. 

Kirk completed 72% of his passes...
Here is what's deceiving with Kirks stats. A lot of his passes was under 5 yards...the check down Variety which kind of pads the stats. 

That's actually a fallacy about Cousins...

His yards gained per pass attempt in 2019 was #7 in the NFL. Ahead of Wilson, Watson, Jackson, Rogers, Goff, Wentz, Brady and other big names. 

Some of that is YAC, but some of it is taking shots down field and putting the ball where the receiver can make plays and yac too. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/y...assing.htm

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
I think what I learned is resigning Anthony Barr was a mistake as I have hardly any confidence in him in pass protection. We should have used that money to get another guard (I know we tried). Wilson will get better...I hope, but boy do we need another LB who can cover. This FA is going to be a big one when it comes to the defense.
Barr helped in coverage on both Thomas and Kamara in the Saints game. The misdirection was problematic against San Francisco but really who on Defense wasn't struggling with it?

AB does so many things that don't end up on the stat sheet that allows Kendricks to be all over the field. You put Wilson in his place full time and I guarantee that limits Kendricks. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
Barr helped in coverage on both Thomas and Kamara in the Saints game. The misdirection was problematic against San Francisco but really who on Defense wasn't struggling with it?

AB does so many things that don't end up on the stat sheet that allows Kendricks to be all over the field. You put Wilson in his place full time and I guarantee that limits Kendricks. 
You may be correct but Barr was statistically our worst starting LB by a long shot. Heck, he was graded lower than Gideon and Brothers. For the money I dont think we saw that much in return which is frustrating given his talent. Personally, I find myself saying "Come on Barr, make a play" instead of "Nice play there, AB".

He's analogous to Jaylon Smith. Doesn't rack up stats but does the little things that allow others to shine. Wilson hasn't been asked to do that. If he was you would see a big drop off. 

Quote: @FSUVike said:
He's analogous to Jaylon Smith. Doesn't rack up stats but does the little things that allow others to shine. Wilson hasn't been asked to do that. If he was you would see a big drop off. 
Wilson was one of our biggest problems against San Fran. Gedeon doesn't have his range, but he has better gap discipline. Conventional wisdom says that Wilson will be the starter there next season, but I'm not so sure. You know how Zim feels about gap discipline. 

What we learned is San Fran is the best team in the NFC.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@FSUVike said:
@Hawkvike25 said:

You may be correct but Barr was statistically our worst starting LB by a long shot. Heck, he was graded lower than Gideon and Brothers. For the money I dont think we saw that much in return which is frustrating given his talent. Personally, I find myself saying "Come on Barr, make a play" instead of "Nice play there, AB".

Personally, i feel what you're sayin'. He's hot and cold.

I find this to be one of his glaring issues as well - he is not physical enough, or willing enough, to engage and blow up blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRUNdplJqTw

Jimmy's block isn't as impressive as Barr's unwillingness to engage with Jimmy the blocker is unimpressive.

I learned that the Vikings aren't up to the challenge of winning the big one and in that regard nothing has changed in the 16 years since Wilf took over, and really nothing has changed since I watched Super Bowl IV when I was a wee lad to begin my years of painful purple fandom.

So naturally, a 7th year of Mike Zimmer mostly losing the games that matter is what's called for.

What we learned is you need the right combination of personnel, scheme, and play calling to be an elite team in this league. Unless all of those are in sync, you are just another average team. Dallas comes to mind which is why Garrett finally got fired. Had all the talent in the world on offense, but failed to do anything with it. All three of those key elements are lacking for the Vikings and I don't think they will be fixed in one offseason with our cap limitations and the people we will need to get rid of. This offseason won't be addition by subtraction. We need to release the expensive veterans and start retooling with younger more affordable options. I don't see us taking the next step, we will unfortunately have to take 2 steps back. That brings up the question about Cousins and Cook. Do you really want to invest the money needed to extend them? I think Cousins makes more sense than Cook if you can lower your cap number and not fully guarantee his deal again. With Cook, or any Running Back, I'm starting to think that resigning an expensive star running back like Cook would be a waste of money. I like the idea of keeping RB's until their Rookie deals expire and then replace them with a younger option. When Zeke was holding out, the backup looked great just like SF's scheme and Oline made Mostert and Coleman look like Pro Bowlers. Building up the Oline for Cousins and whoever the RB is should be priority number 1. I think Jerry made a mistake with Zeke and now he will more than likely have to lose Cooper trying to create cap space to resign Dak.