Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question - So do you still play Rodgers the same?
Used to be that you try and keep him in the pocket, generate as much pressure with front four, and pray your coverage holds up.
but NOT flush the turd out of the pocket.

Now, Im not so sure.  I think (hope) hes lost some of his escapability / moxie.  Sure hes still dangerous, but last year he seemed disinterested, (so he could get rid of McCarthy) and this year still hasnt looked “as mobile / not like the Rodgers of old”

so my question is......So you use the same strategy against him, or trust that hes lost something off the top and start mixing in exotic blitz packages to pin his ears back?

I though he looked old in the NFC championship game...  B) B) B)  bummer! 

Flush the turd!

age is getting him like any other athlete

You blitz him and smack him around.  He looks old now. 

I honestly haven't watched GB enough to know...

I suspect he's still as dangerous ad-libing as any of em and GB pass blocking looked pretty good of the little I did watch them. 

I'm just as happy Bahktiari and Beluga are getting long in the tooth as I am Rogers is. 

The thing about GB is that they are a more balanced team now with the additions they made on D. Rogers doesnt have to carry that whole team. 

They should be favored to win the North going into next season. 

He still has huge moments and makes big throws because he's a great player, but he's nowhere near what he once was. Feels like he dropped off about 3 years ago. I think Packer fans are waiting for him to "get it back," but I personally think what's gone is gone.
~5 years ago if GB had the ball at the end of games it was a virtual certainty they would score. Things haven't been the same in GB for awhile now, and I'm fine with that!
As far as defending him, I'd scheme for him like we did Drew Brees. Rodgers' mobility now is more Tony Romo than it is Prime Aaron, in my opinion. Whatever Zim has been doing against Rodgers has been working, so I'd say keep doing that.

He looked washed up in the SF game. He still has that tendency to pass up on the open receiver running the short route while looking for the home run long. Sometimes that works, sometimes not.
The key to beating him still seems the same as always. He hates getting hit. He doesn't play near as well after pressure gets to him. But I guess that's the same for most QB's.
I would say he is much better with a running game and made it look easy against the Vikings in US Bank Stadium.
I don't think it helps much to contain him in the pocket if the pressure never gets home.

IMO you play him somewhat like Goff.  Make him work his way down the field.  Both love the long ball.  Rodgers will pass up the sure short pass to take the shot.  He gets frustrated being patient and so you use that against him.  He loves to scramble and make that huge throw, but holding the ball gets him in trouble.  Always been his issue and his best years were when McCarthy reined that in.