Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What did we learn about Vikings from the NFC title game?
Vikings fans tend to have a fluid second-favorite team: whatever team is playing the Packers that week.
That allegiance was amplified Sunday when the horror of horrors was on the cusp of happening: the Packers were one game away from the Super Bowl, needing only a win over the team that dispatched the Vikings the previous week to make it there.
But Vikings fans’ rooting interest in the 49ers paid off handsomely Sunday when San Francisco trounced Green Bay 37-20. Aaron Rodgers has now lost the last three NFC title games in which he’s played since winning his first try after the 2010 season (2014, 2016 and 2019 seasons).
Beyond the schadenfreude that has come to define Vikings fandom, though, there was more to be gleaned from Sunday’s outcome. Namely: What did it teach us about the Vikings?
*On a basic level, it showed there’s a gap between best team in NFC North (Packers) and 49ers, and there’s a gap between second-best team in NFC North (Vikings) and Packers. It stands to reason that the Vikings are two levels removed from being a Super Bowl team.
Sure, there are advanced stats that tell us the Vikings were just as strong or better than the Packers this year and that Green Bay was either the worst or close to the worst 13-3 team of all-time.
But head-to-head means something. After 15 games, the Vikings and Packers were both 10-3 in games not against each other. But Green Bay swept the season series, including a decisive late victory at U.S. Bank Stadium. Give the edge to Green Bay, and at best acknowledge that both the Packers and Vikings were significantly behind the 49ers since both lost to San Francisco by three scores in lopsided playoff games.
*So what accounts for the gap between the Vikings and 49ers? Well, it’s not philosophy. The 49ers play pretty much how the Vikings would like to play — a strong running game setting up a passing game, all of it anchored by a very good defense. That has to be at least somewhat heartening for the Vikings.
But to me the most glaring difference is cornerback play. The 49ers had two of Pro Football Focus’ top six graded corners in the NFL this season, including No. 1 Richard Sherman. The first Vikings corner to show up on the list is Trae Waynes at No. 47, and you find former stalwart Xavier Rhodes all the way down at No. 108 (out of 114).
San Francisco’s suffocating coverage combined with its ability to rush the passer makes it very hard for teams to come back if they fall behind, as both the Vikings and Packers found out. Without even one shutdown corner, the Vikings were vulnerable this season.
*The 49ers don’t have a great offensive line, but it’s good — and becomes devastating in the run game when combined with wonderful tight end George Kittle and a scheme that keeps defenses guessing.
San Francisco has been able to run the ball in pretty much every game this season, including a combined 471 yards in two playoff wins over the Vikings and Packers. The Vikings were dedicated to the run this season, had improved run blocking and finished sixth in yards per game (133.3) during the regular season.
But in three glaring losses this season — at Chicago, vs. Green Bay and at San Francisco — the Vikings’ run game disappeared. If you can’t count on your strength when you need it most, you’re in trouble.
*Home field and a bye: San Francisco pulled out a handful of key wins this season, none bigger than a goal-line stop against Seattle in the regular-season finale, to secure the top seed at first-round bye.
There’s an element of fortune in the NFL owing to the magnitude of every game. The Vikings exploited that in 2017, getting a bye and the No. 2 seed.
The Vikings flat-out need to be sharper throughout the regular season to ease their path to the Super Bowl because, as Tennessee (and the Vikings to a lesser extent) showed this year, the magic usually runs out at some point if you have to play tough road games in the playoffs.
So step one is making sure they’re a step ahead of the Packers in 2020.
http://www.startribune.com/what-did-we-l...567136742/

D aside a moment...How do you take the strengths of the ZBS and build on it so you are less predictable and harder to defend on offense?

I think this is a key question in 2020 and a big challenge for new OC. 

I disagree that the 49ers don't have good OL play.  They do.  Very good.  The author either doesn't know anything about OL play... or they are basing it purely off of name-recognition.  The 49ers may have better CBs than the Vikings, but the real difference between the 2 teams is the trenches.  The 49ers are strong there- on both sides of the ball.  The Vikings have a better RB... but he'll never see the wide open lanes that Mostert did, because he doesn't have the same OL... OR the same offensive scheme (49ers are much more creative than the Vikings).  

I think the author mistakes the PFF ratings for fact.  The SF corners are "better" because their D line gets after it.  Sherman is still good, but he is years aged from being great.  The other one got benched IIRC.

Getting Dee Ford and the LB ALexander back made a huge difference for them against us.  This team was a few weeks removed from getting torched by Atlanta and barely beat the Seahawks with a fat Lynch as their RB. 

I am glad they won, but lets not crown their ass yet.  Will be interesting to see how that D holds up against Reid and Mahomes and all their playmakers.

Quote: @pumpf said:
I disagree that the 49ers don't have good OL play.  They do.  Very good.  The author either doesn't know anything about OL play... or they are basing it purely off of name-recognition.  The 49ers may have better CBs than the Vikings, but the real difference between the 2 teams is the trenches.  The 49ers are strong there- on both sides of the ball.  The Vikings have a better RB... but he'll never see the wide open lanes that Mostert did, because he doesn't have the same OL... OR the same offensive scheme (49ers are much more creative than the Vikings).  
I wouldn't call it a great offensive line though. Their center Garland is a backup. Mike Person is a league average player. Tomlinson was a bust until this season. McGlinchey is young and solid and while Staley isn't what he used to be, he's solid too. It ain't Mostert either. He's on his, what, 6th team? Mike Boone could've done what he did yesterday. 

I think the reason they run the ball so well is Kyle Shanahan and his creativity. Stefanski seemed to have two ideas: outside zone or screen. 49ers wide 9 took both away and he didn't have a response. But he was a 1st year OC operating a new offense. Keep in mind that this 49er offense is in its 3rd season with Shanahan and its run game coordinator, Mike McDaniel. They've clearly hit their stride, but in their 1st season, they were a bottom third rushing offense. In their 2nd season, top half. 

Vikings need to keep drafting zone linemen, upgrade Elflein, find an OC who can keep us moving in the same direction and we'll see what happens. 

Kirk Cousins was sacked 28 times this season.
Jimmy Garoppolo was sacked 36 times this season.

Kirk had 444 attempts.
Jimmy had 476 attempts.

thats what, a difference of 8 sacks on 32 attempts?

Against SF, we had 2 sacks - they had 6. Kirk attempted 29 passes - Jimmy 19.

Cousins threw 6 INTs this season.
Garoppolo threw 13 INTs.

Against SF, each QB threw 1.

Against SF, Kirk pushed 21 completions for 172 yards.
Against MN, Jimmy pushed 11 completions for 131 yards.

The 49ers picked up 9 first downs passing. 

Kirk completed 72% of his passes...

Quote: @BlackMagic7 said:
Kirk Cousins was sacked 28 times this season.
Jimmy Garoppolo was sacked 36 times this season.

Kirk had 444 attempts.
Jimmy had 476 attempts.

thats what, a difference of 8 sacks on 32 attempts?

Against SF, we had 2 sacks - they had 6. Kirk attempted 29 passes - Jimmy 19.

Cousins threw 6 INTs this season.
Garoppolo threw 13 INTs.

Against SF, each QB threw 1.

Against SF, Kirk pushed 21 completions for 172 yards.
Against MN, Jimmy pushed 11 completions for 131 yards.

The 49ers picked up 9 first downs passing. 

Kirk completed 72% of his passes...
Here is what's deceiving with Kirks stats. A lot of his passes was under 5 yards...the check down Variety which kind of pads the stats. 

When I saw SF game in week10?, their game was very similar to the Vikes.

Run the ball to set up the pass, play great defense, move the LOS and solid Special Teams. 

1. SF has better, stronger, faster OL and DL

2. SF has better scheming and play-calling.

Like others I think, it all starts in trenches. Vikes aren't there yet.

Quote: @Mattyman said:
When I saw SF game in week10?, their game was very similar to the Vikes.

Run the ball to set up the pass, play great defense, move the LOS and solid Special Teams. 

1. SF has better, stronger, faster OL and DL

2. SF has better scheming and play-calling.

Like others I think, it all starts in trenches. Vikes aren't there yet.

On the offensive side, I think much of it is the play calls and scheme.  Shanahan has much more experience than Stef.
On defensive line side, they have speed.  I really didn't get the Shamar signing, other than as a role player.  He is not suited to be a 3T in my book.  I don't think we held up great against the run, and he certainly didn't make many plays collapsing the pocket. 

This Packers team you're talking about got beat twice by the Lions this year.