Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Payoff for Cousins

Geez...gotta love a beat writer who doesn't know where we are picking...

Hopefully, we can extend him and lower his cap number for a year, maybe two. 

Watching the 3 games after ours this weekend it was like the other QBs are playing a different game.  The big difference with Cousins and the other playoff QBs is they all have the ability to keep the play alive, they are not 100% dependent on the OL keeping a clean pocket.  Cousins goes back to pass and where he plants his feet is where he is going to stay, watching the other QBs, they were consistently buying their WRs more time, by moving.  I like Cousins, but I don't think he is consistent enough or mobile enough for us to win with him.  It was the same thing with Bradford, the same OL looked a lot better when Keenum was playing behind them.  The OL can't be expected to keep the defense out every time, the QB has to be able to help them out and we do not have that dimension.  I think it would be a mistake to extend him.  

So who do you sign, JR?

Quote: @FSUVike said:
So who do you sign, JR?
If I were the GM, I would bring Teddy back, but I don't see that happening.  I think the best case for us would be for us to get lucky in the draft with someone falling to us and having them play under Cousins for a year.  

I would be okay if they feel they saw enough from Cousins to want to continue with him, but I wouldn't extend him yet, I would see how he does next year and then sign a better back up, maybe someone like Mariota, who I think was in the wrong system at Tennessee.  

I'm on board with a mid-round pick to develop. Can't see an actual successor falling in the 1st Round. Gotta use the 1st, 2nd and 3rd to fix O-Line, D-Line and CB. If you burn one of those picks on a QB you're basically sabotaging next season by looking to 2021.

I get that folks want insurance if Kirk isn't the QB of the future. Honestly, Spielman is not the guy I want making that pick. He went All In on Cousins and if that move ultimately doesn't work he should be fired.

1 year left for RS/MZ/KC. Time to patch some holes and give it one last ride.

I would like the next guy to be more mobile, though. Even Brees slides around in the pocket better than Cousins. But Matt Ryan would have won the Superbowl if Kyle had played it smart. He's not a guy who can carry a team. Needs good WRs, a legit rushing attack and a good Offensive Line. 

Kirk can get us there IF the Front Office can fix that damn Line. There are no Elite Teams. Statistically Jimmy G is nearly the identical QB to Kirk and may end up with the ring this year. It can be done. Spending an early pick on Cousins replacement simply robs Peter (next season) to pay Paul.

The odds of us drafting a mid-to-late round franchise QB are extremely slim.  Don’t even bother.  We have other areas of need that are more pressing.  OL (above all) CB(a close second) and DL. We should focus on that. Extend and restructure Cousins, cut or trade XR, restructure EG and Reiff, draft a LG and LT (Reiff and Elf are now backups) sign Ant Harris long term.  I’m not sure what I would do with Rudy or Waynes.  Cut, trade or restructure. The following year we can worry about QB. Cousins is good, more mobile than some give him credit for, and with a better OL, he can deliver.  

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
The odds of us drafting a mid-to-late round franchise QB are extremely slim.  Don’t even bother.  We have other areas of need that are more pressing.  OL (above all) CB(a close second) and DL. We should focus on that. Extend and restructure Cousins, cut or trade XR, restructure EG and Reiff, draft a LG and LT (Reiff and Elf are now backups) sign Ant Harris long term.  I’m not sure what I would do with Rudy or Waynes.  Cut, trade or restructure. The following year we can worry about QB. Cousins is good, more mobile than some give him credit for, and with a better OL, he can deliver.  
At thw bold....
I am not listening to you. I WANT A FRANCHISE QB AND MODERN OFFENSE NEXT YEAR....HMMM! :angry:

Quote: @Ilovebigtd's said:
if tua falls to us, do we take him? 

Rick better start making calls if he is available at 20 :angry:
Our coach is so called a "DB whisperer" so he can coach up corners drafted in the late round plus he has had 4 years to draft corners on day one and day two. We don't  have a renowned  QB coach so we need  a good QB not a "rough diamond".