Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, You Say He's A Cornerback Whisperer
Ok, cool...let me set the table for you...you aren't starting with chickenshit, but I'm expecting you to the turn this into palatable chicken salad:

Mike Hughes, former 1st Round Pick
Alexander Mackenzie, former 2nd Round Pick
Holton Hill, Day 2 talent
Chris Boyd, Day2/3 talent

This regime needs to put a far better OL on the field if we are going to maximize the dollars invested in the skill positions...you want to run the ball? Fine, but don't do it with an inferior line.

Maybe change up your scheme a bit so it doesn't take multiple years for it to click. Maybe bring in Terrance Newman to coach. But the years of showing up to gorge at the draft table over CB talent while the OL is the Achilles heel of the team should be over.

I'll be 60 when the new season starts. I got one championship with the Cubs. But that would pale in comparison to a Vikings SB win.

A familiar refrain...Rings true for this fan who's the same age. If you told me when I was 17 (the last Viking SB) I would be at least 60 till they made another one? I would have told you you're batshit crazy. 

The D needs to be improved, in many places now. As I read earlier from one of the local rags, this is the biggest D re-calibration needed since Zimmer first got here. There are definite needs for player upgrades. 

Its up to RS and Scouting to improve both sides of the ball. They have to, or this window is officially shut. 

At minimum we have 4 new starters on D, which could balloon to 7 pretty quickly...Shamar is a one dimensional 3T, so he could not the road...Big Goon isn't Big Goon anymore...Rhodes is a foregone conclusion IMO and so is Waynes...I sacrifice both those guys to keep Any Man ™ and Mac...Odenijbo takes over for EG...Watts and Jaleel on the interior...

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
At minimum we have 4 new starters on D, which could balloon to 7 pretty quickly...Shamar is a one dimensional 3T, so he could not the road...Big Goon isn't Big Goon anymore...Rhodes is a foregone conclusion IMO and so is Waynes...I sacrifice both those guys to keep Any Man ™ and Mac...Odenijbo takes over for EG...Watts and Jaleel on the interior...

When you put it like that, wow. I agree with you that we're going to have a lot of turnover but it's a little scary once I see it all on paper. Watts/Jaleel interior = yikes. I think I just lowered my expectations for next season. Confused

Can any of our upcoming physically freakish defensive lineman stop the run? Or do they just run out of the way faster?  Confused

With Corners, i'd like bringing in as many guys in for workouts throughout the offseason as we reasonably can and letting Zimmer pick and choose who fits without paying a premium.  He's done well with UDFA workouts - i'm sure he had some solid input on Boyd in the 7th round. He makes players we think are scraps important players. I'd like to see how he'd piece the position together without having more players added who are locked in, forced to fit in or schemed around. Get as many solid pieces of talent at CB that we can reasonably afford to lose in Camp battles and lets get after where we left off.

It sucks when predraft talent doesn't translate or talent falls off. It's get's tricky when other players are stepping up and developing with lesser expectations and security. 

I mean I generally agree. Let Zim do his defensive thing in the shadows*, Rick should have his spotlight on the offensive line and 2020. This offense has the talent to carry the defense if a game demands it. It needs the offensive line to do it. We are lucky to have a young center and a young RT; don't rest laurels on it. Klien is a solid guy who would only benefit from some cheap, experienced competition. Elf at LG just isn't cutting it at all and a lot of money and focus should go into not just "upgrading" the position, but solidifying it A.S.A.P.  Reiff plays a position everyone dreams of upgrading - it's shouldn't be that hard for the F.O to figure out.

(* unless BPA is something like a run stuffing DT. For all of our coverage issues throughout the season, and talking about finding diamonds at DB to replace 2 starters... I guess I really don't want to see us look like we did vs. SF against the run ever again.)

I'm higher on Watts than most...Jaleel was effective...and if we commit to the OL, they should be on the field less...

@ the 25 spot? They have enough holes to go BPA on either side of the ball. I'm hoping they can clear up some cap space this off-season and sign someone to help in either trench this FA period. 

Funny how 10/6 feels like 8/8 at this point...

Need a big space eating DT to keep the lineman off of our linebackers, especially Kendricks.  

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@ the 25 spot? They have enough holes to go BPA on either side of the ball. I'm hoping they can clear up some cap space this off-season and sign someone to help in either trench this FA period. 

Funny how 10/6 feels like 8/8 at this point...
The way it looks now, BPA is likely a CB...spending premium draft capital on CBs is why we are at this point. BPA at highest position of need...

They'll bring in a Tier 2 FA or restructure Joseph to compete with Jaleel. I expect a high round pick to compete with Watts. Harris will get inked.

It's the CBs that are the biggest concern to me. Hughes has progressed farther than Waynes at this point in his career. Boyd has some upside as a dime CB. I think Zimmer needs to dig up a veteran reclamation project or two. Take a swing at an underperformer like Roby or an older guy like Joseph and bargain bin shop in the late rounds.

With the performance of Ogdenibo, Weatherly, Wilson and Harris it's clear Rick and Mike can mine the later rounds for guys at positions besides CB. Time to put a bandaid on it with some stopgap vets and restock with some raw kids who will need some time to develop.

And it is high time Zimmer brought in an actual DC. Even if he still calls the plays he needs someone in the film room  pushing him. Hopefully an ex-HC that he will actually listen to and not a 'Yes Man' which is what I believe Edwards was.

Minnesota's DEs, LBs and Safeties are good to great. Run-stuffing NTs are not hard to find and JJ may be the solution. 3T is much harder which is why it has to be a high pick. If Rick can be savvy in FA he can find 1 or 2 CBs and you never know, maybe Brez finds the right contract to keep Alexander.

The Defense is not that far off. Relied too much on aging players but still only gave up an average of 23.5 points in the Playoffs. The Offense is the bigger problem. 

Need an LG in the worst way. Can't count on Samia being ready. A high pick on a LT prospect that profiles more as an OG makes a lot of sense. If the kid earns LT you give Reiff a look at LG. If Riley doesn't look good there or (best case scenario) Samia beats him out you let him walk. If he stays it's with a massive restructure to that contract.

Worst case scenario is the draft pick doesn't earn the LT spot and kicks inside to shore up LG and Reiff stays at Tackle on a restructured deal. Samia pushes Kline, Udoh is the swing Tackle.

The 1st Round of this Draft will be telling. If Kinlaw falls you run to the podium. If he doesn't there should be a good LT/LG prospect sitting there. If there is and Rick goes Corner anyway it will need to be a kid who is nearly universally regarded as a much better prospect or I'll know once and for all that Spielman and Zimmer simply don't get it and need to go.