Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hughes On IR, Mac Out
Let's really think about this for a second. Hughes struggles against size. At best he was going to spell either Rhodes or Waynes covering Thomas. Thomas only lines up in the Slot 28% of the time. So Mac wasn't going to see much of him.

Expect to see a lot of Taysom Hill and Kamara in the Slot. Kearse on Hill I like. On Kamara? Not so much. But if Kendricks spies Kamara he can help Kearse.

My biggest fear is Payton using misdirection on Kearse and Boyd to single them up and catch them peeking at Brees instead of watching their man. Mac & Hughes have way more snaps and had the eye discipline that Kearse and Boyd probably don't have. 

But let's face it. Brees hits Thomas in the 5 to 10 yard range at like an 80% completion clip, which is sick. Neither Mac or Hughes figured to be part of the plan to slow him down. I'm sure they'll be missed on some plays where Hill or Cook or Kamara get open, but losing Waynes or Rhodes would have been worse since they profile better against Thomas.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JR44 said:
At first I thought this was disastrous, however when you think about it what has Hughes or Alexander done recently?  Hughes is consistently getting beat and targeted by the veteran QBs and has been a nightmare of a punt returner.  Alexander has been better and is definitely a loss, but I don't think we are going to have a huge drop by playing Hill and Kearse.  Hill has looked decent, has gotten through the rust of missing the first quarter of the season and I think has a higher ceiling that both of them.  And Kearse has proven to play well in the big moments. I am actually excited that we could get some new life pumped into the secondary and we definitely upgraded our punt return game.  
Alexander is a big loss.  Hardly have noticed him this year because he is doing his job.  And Hughes has been rotating in at CB1 to keep Rhodes "fresh".  Yeah, it is a big blow.
But we get Sherels back.
I think Alexander is the one that hurts the most. Heck, Sherels is a better returner than Hughes. Maybe he takes on back and wins the game for us. Gonna need Alexander back for San Francisco. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@JR44 said:
At first I thought this was disastrous, however when you think about it what has Hughes or Alexander done recently?  Hughes is consistently getting beat and targeted by the veteran QBs and has been a nightmare of a punt returner.  Alexander has been better and is definitely a loss, but I don't think we are going to have a huge drop by playing Hill and Kearse.  Hill has looked decent, has gotten through the rust of missing the first quarter of the season and I think has a higher ceiling that both of them.  And Kearse has proven to play well in the big moments. I am actually excited that we could get some new life pumped into the secondary and we definitely upgraded our punt return game.  
Alexander is a big loss.  Hardly have noticed him this year because he is doing his job.  And Hughes has been rotating in at CB1 to keep Rhodes "fresh".  Yeah, it is a big blow.
But we get Sherels back.
I think Alexander is the one that hurts the most. Heck, Sherels is a better returner than Hughes. Maybe he takes on back and wins the game for us. Gonna need Alexander back for San Francisco. 
Yeah, I like Sherels as the returner.  As FSU details above, Rhodes is a better matchup on Thomas, but Hughes was solid depth.  Now it is Holton Hill at backup and then guys that haven't seen much time on D.

B-R-U-T-A-L News...

Football gods smite the Vikings again

[Image: image.jpg]

Take the over on this one, fellas. Whoever has the ball last is going to win. 

Take the over on this one, fellas. 
Agreed...That's exactly what I did earlier this week and before this news broke. 

Nope. This game will be decided long before then.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
Nope. This game will be decided long before then.
Yes, I know Sticky, as always, good, bad or otherwise, you expect the Vikings to play exactly like they played in their last game. Because who they were then, despite the changing match ups, is exactly who they are now and who they will be going forward. :-)

Yes, its very possible that the Saints will suddenly figure out their wide zone struggles just in time for the Vikings, and Dennis Allen will do exactly what Mike Pettine did and shut down the play action by ignoring the running game, despite the fact that he'll be ignoring Dalvin Cook instead of Mike Boone. And Cousins will throw for 100 yards and a TD in a losing effort. 

All that's possible....

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=5447566]

Now I’m glad we rested starters and played a preseason game last week.  It gave our D a rest and the young DTs, LBs and DBs some much needed reps.  That can only help this Sunday. And I like the idea of Sherels running one back for a TD!
Skol Vikes!