Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is that a light???
The big question from Day 1 of the Vikings season was: Could this team improve the offensive line after a 2018 season in which the Vikings finished 30th in the league in rushing yards with 1,493, the fourth fewest in franchise history? Kirk Cousins also was sacked 40 times.

The Vikings started by hiring a new offensive line coach in Rick Dennison, drafting center Garrett Bradbury with their first-round selection, moving Pat Elflein to guard, signing Josh Kline, Brett Jones and Dakota Dozier and losing Nick Easton, Mike Remmers and Tom Compton.
So far the numbers say the changes have worked.
Football Outsiders ranks the Vikings offensive line fifth in the NFL in run-blocking and 13th in pass protection.
The Vikings also rank No. 4 in the NFL in rushing yards per game with 135.8, and their 23 sacks allowed are the seventh fewest in the league.
It has been one huge turnaround.
Offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, in his first year on the job, talked about the importance of hiring Dennison and how he has changed the offense.
“Rico has been outstanding. Again, a guy I lean on heavily,” Stefanski said. “His understanding of our scheme and how we’re attacking defenses is again so important to us having our success. I think he really is a great technician with the players. He works them really hard and teaches them a ton about their technique, and I think you’re seeing it show up on Sundays.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-pass-...566158061/

I'm shocked they could turn it around this quickly. Kudos. IMO, it shows that a scheme like Dennison teaches can take guys and elevate their productivity. Keep influxing it with talent and you'll see continued incremental growth. I guess we could be a bit nitpicky still about the O-line, but there's zero debate its improved from one year to the next somewhat substantially. 

Rome wasn't build in a day, keep drafting for this position. 

Coaching and a few successful changes on the interior...continue to add talent and we will be in good shape...very interested to see Oli next year...

Yeah if you told me at the start the offense would be carrying the defense I would probably laugh. Last week was easy for the D. This week won't be. I have full confidence in our offense. Time for the defense to pull their weight. That sounds weird even saying.

Definitely a nice improvement, though the left side of the OL still concerns me. Joey Bosa is a tougher challenge than they have faced since early in the season...and Khalil Mack is on the horizon..
Brian O'Neill has improved and that's a great change because we have a recent history of OL looking good for one year and then regressing - Reiff, Elflein, Kalil and others.

doesnt hurt to have a healthy Cook and a monster back up RB to boost those numbers.   They are definitely better than the last few years,  but I dont think they are nearly as good as those numbers indicate.  KC gets the shit kicked out of him and often our running game isnt as much about exerting our will as it is about catching the D either gassed or out of position.

i think the line excels because a lot because of play action and Cook’s exceptional ability to hit the creases and get to the edge.  When passing Cousins excels with the roll out so the line play scheme fits are players well.

The place where we are week is when Cousins is expected to stand in the pocket or we try to run straight forward.  I don’t know that we have the size up front to pocket pass protect or open consistent holes for straight ahead dives.

The big change this year over last year is scheme and coaches.  Using screens has also been extremely effective to control defensive pressure and utilize our athletic lighter linemen.

I give a lot of credit to the new coaching staff not only for recognizing what we needed to do but for teaching and implementing the new style.  A lot of effort and man hours went into this offense.  Just hope we don’t have our coaching staff raided at the end of the year.  There is a lot to accomplish before we loose this team.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
doesnt hurt to have a healthy Cook and a monster back up RB to boost those numbers.   They are definitely better than the last few years,  but I dont think they are nearly as good as those numbers indicate.  KC gets the shit kicked out of him and often our running game isnt as much about exerting our will as it is about catching the D either gassed or out of position.
Two things stand out to me.

1- Addition by subtraction, eg. " losing Nick Easton, Mike Remmers and Tom Compton." Though Easton wasn't bad.

2- Scheme change to fit personnel rather than making players fit the scheme.  Catching the D either gassed or out of position is often a product of the scheme.

Kline and Dozier have been unexpected surprises on the plus side as well. But there is definitely room for improvement and the Chargers present a very difficult challenge.

Also, in addition to Mack, Hicks may be back healthy for the Bears, and those two have dominated the Vikings in the last three games.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I think play calling plays a big part.  Cook hits the hole so fast and doesn't need much of a gap, so that covers up the lack of overpowering the defense.  But it all works together and the results have been evident.
I don't think KC gets the shit kicked out of him.  There are times he still looks gunshy, but overall he has been kept pretty clean.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I think play calling plays a big part.  Cook hits the hole so fast and doesn't need much of a gap, so that covers up the lack of overpowering the defense.  But it all works together and the results have been evident.
I don't think KC gets the shit kicked out of him.  There are times he still looks gunshy, but overall he has been kept pretty clean.
when we need to pass,  he takes a fair amount of shots.  when the score is close and the playcalling isnt as predictable they move him around enough he doesnt take as many hits,  but some OLs can be counted on to consistently keep their QBs clean in pressure situations,  I dont see that from our guys.