Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins In Line For Early Extension?
His wife absolutely loves it here and for Kirk, that matters. Kirk made the most of the opportunity that came to him financially. I don't fault him for that. I am thinking and hoping he will be more flexible this time around. He has been very involved in the community and created a home here. I don't think it's time to talk about it yet but I think it's coming. He is also getting more comfortable with the offense. It's the defense that is concerning now. Time will tell.

would sure like some stability at QB, and i think KC doesnt get enough props. 

sadly, if one game goes the wrong way this season, at some point people will pull out the "See, I told you so" and forget all about the amazing season he is having.  Diggs is right, he doesnt get enough respect.  Given his stats this season, if it was that snotrag Rodgers, people would be falling over themselves kissing his ass.  meanwhile KC, goes about his job.  give the guy some more time, and start working him into the long term plans of this franchise.    How many years did it take Brees in NO to get a title?

JMO

Who is the real Cousins? The guy he's been throughout his career, or the recent half year run?

Viking fans forget they've had 379 QB's since Culpepper. Anyone watch Indy play on offense last night?

None of that excuses Cousins from poor QB play and we shouldn't settle for mediocre. I think KC is having and awesome year. He's setting himself up for an extension if this continues. Next 5 weeks will tell the tale of 2019 for sure.

He has more to prove before I'd sign him again. But what's the viable alternative?  This defense is getting older, window aint opening anymore, its closing. 

Lots of big knockers on D hitting that 30 mark...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

He has more to prove before I'd sign him again. But what's the viable alternative?
That's the dilemma: I agree, he does have a bit more to prove as others have said, but what is the alternative then? I think Minnesota can mitigate this dilemma to some extent, at least in effort, by drafting a QB somewhere in the top 4 rounds. Its always a crapshoot. 

I keep hearing the notion of KC getting extended to provide cap relief next season... he is scheduled to make 30 million,  does anybody think he is going to play for less than that when the rest of the starters in the league are signing deals that put them over that 30 mill per season number?  I dont see him taking a deal that isnt up near the top or even resetting the bar.

I agree with Sticky,  we need to draft a new franchise QB,  and I think we need to at least see what the draft holds for us before committing to KC for another 3 years of top tier QB money.  I love his game, but that salary will cripple the franchise to put anything around him.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I keep hearing the notion of KC getting extended to provide cap relief next season... he is scheduled to make 30 million,  does anybody think he is going to play for less than that when the rest of the starters in the league are signing deals that put them over that 30 mill per season number?  I dont see him taking a deal that isnt up near the top or even resetting the bar.

I agree with Sticky,  we need to draft a new franchise QB,  and I think we need to at least see what the draft holds for us before committing to KC for another 3 years of top tier QB money.  I love his game, but that salary will cripple the franchise to put anything around him.
And that is the question...  does he want to reset the market again on his next contract? 

I think Kirk was previously operating under a "mercenary" mentality in Washington...  they didn't want to commit to him and he was perfectly fine taking the fully guaranteed Franchise tag for a couple seasons until the Redskins couldn't afford it.  He didn't have to commit long-term to an organization that clearly wasn't buying into him with their contract offers and it was an opportunity for him to show off his skills to other teams. Then he wanted a fully guaranteed deal from the Vikings to feel like they really wanted him.

Now that he's been with the team for two seasons and he's finding out that 1) he likes it here (and more importantly his wife loves it here) and 2) he has a good team around him...  maybe he decides that as long as the money comes out "right", he'll be open to a team friendly contract to help keep a good team around him.  Rhodes, Harry, Hunter, Diggs, etc. all did this (took top 5 money, but didn't reset the market)...  now it could be Kirk's turn.

Hard to say how it will play out, but I think Kirk is realizing that he is with a great organization and is surrounded by a bunch of great coaches and players...  contract negotiations may be different this time around.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:

It will be near the top. It should be. But it could also provide cap relief due to its length of term. Cousins 3 year deal basically told him, "we're close, and we believe you can help us win a Super Bowl, but we're not quite convinced you're all that." 

A long term deal would signal a commitment by the Vikings, very likely lower his cap hit and give Cousins what he wants: to be loved and to stay in Minnesota. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:

It will be near the top. It should be. But it could also provide cap relief due to its length of term. Cousins 3 year deal basically told him, "we're close, and we believe you can help us win a Super Bowl, but we're not quite convinced you're all that." 

A long term deal would signal a commitment by the Vikings, very likely lower his cap hit and give Cousins what he wants: to be loved and to stay in Minnesota. 
how does a pay raise lower his cap hit?  ( without significantly hindering the future cap by just pushing his big pay day down the road? )  that extra 3 to 5 million+ a year on average over what he is due to make next year has to be applied to some year,  and as we have found out that notion that we will be in better shape in a year or two.. is bull shit.  as long as we keep drafting quality players we will be in a position to lose some talent every year and continuing with a top tier QB contract will not allow for retaining that talent.

KC is a damn good QB,  but I dont put him at the level of a Rogers or Brady (maybe Wilson)  where they can take an average WR and make them look like probowlers,   or put so much pressure on a D that they mask OL and run game deficiencies.... those are rare.

but the next level guys,  the ones that like KC that play at a very high level when surrounded by higher level talent (they dont drag down those around them)  they are wanting that top tier money and teams are paying.  but when they dont have the quality OL,  or the RB,  or the WR.... they really suffer even though they are getting paid like that top tier and that makes the entire team weaker.

I like KC,  I really do,  but if he wants to reset that bar again or get paid like Wilson,  then the team needs to be ready to let him walk and roll with a younger cheaper guy and use the savings to build the supporting cast around him IMO.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:

And that is the question...  does he want to reset the market again on his next contract? 

I think Kirk was previously operating under a "mercenary" mentality in Washington...  they didn't want to commit to him and he was perfectly fine taking the fully guaranteed Franchise tag for a couple seasons until the Redskins couldn't afford it.  He didn't have to commit long-term to an organization that clearly wasn't buying into him with their contract offers and it was an opportunity for him to show off his skills to other teams. Then he wanted a fully guaranteed deal from the Vikings to feel like they really wanted him.

Now that he's been with the team for two seasons and he's finding out that 1) he likes it here (and more importantly his wife loves it here) and 2) he has a good team around him...  maybe he decides that as long as the money comes out "right", he'll be open to a team friendly contract to help keep a good team around him.  Rhodes, Harry, Hunter, Diggs, etc. all did this (took top 5 money, but didn't reset the market)...  now it could be Kirk's turn.

Hard to say how it will play out, but I think Kirk is realizing that he is with a great organization and is surrounded by a bunch of great coaches and players...  contract negotiations may be different this time around.
not to long ago there was an interview with KC (last spring IIRC) where he was quoted as saying that its his job as a nfl union member to push the salaries up as high as he can. (paraphrasing from memory here)  basically he says he owes it to the other QBs and future players to push the cap.  ( i cant find the quote )