Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins In Line For Early Extension?
https://www.espn.com/blog/minnesota-viki...-extension

If it's team friendly, I could see it...if it's about re-writing the top of the market, that's a hard pass...

I'm going to guess that it is in the planning stages. Games to be played yet and outcomes to be determined, but I'm certain at least parameters are being discussed internally at a very preliminary stage. Cousins wants it and if the season ends in the playoffs, the Vikings will want it too. 

I still would love to see the Vikings grab a QB in round 3 or 4 that could develop and progress without pressure. I just think as this game evolves, the position is going to require mobility as a bigger part of the overall equation. Defensive players continue to be amazing athletes and the offensive line talent just can't cope with it consistently. 

I could see a team friendlier extension on the horizon...Give a young qb time to curate too. This reinforced for me that the team is not stupid enough to over-weigh one come from behind & one road win against a team with a winning record as sole justification for it:

"I don't know if anyone has ever achieved anything yet," Spielman said. "But I know what the coaches are doing with him. And you have to give him credit, too, with some of the plays he's making. It's giving him the best chance to have success. And that goes hand-in-hand with his abilities and the system we're running on offense now.

I think just like any team, we were able to have some pieces around him. Hopefully when we come down these next five games here, we get all of our pieces in place to be able to get [injured receiver Adam] Thielen back and pair him with [receiver Stefon] Diggs. Since Thielen has been out since the Detroit game, we've had other players step up.

I think the Vikings should just hold off until the off-season.  Agents are typically the ones who handle all the contract negotiations, but we don't need any distractions at this point in the season.  If Cousins keeps playing well, the Vikings should lock him up on another 3-year deal.

Hopefully Kirk and his agent realize a cap friendly contract will help keep all these good pieces around him and he doesn't ask for another fully guaranteed deal.  It would be nice to structure an extension in a way that lowers his huge cap hit next year so we can keep Anthony Harris and one of Waynes or Alexander.  I doubt we'll be able to keep Kearse.  Looking at his Twitter responses of late, it doesn't sound like he is planning on being here next season either...

Kearse is done. He's made that clear.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I think the Vikings should just hold off until the off-season.  Agents are typically the ones who handle all the contract negotiations, but we don't need any distractions at this point in the season.  If Cousins keeps playing well, the Vikings should lock him up on another 3-year deal.

Hopefully Kirk and his agent realize a cap friendly contract will help keep all these good pieces around him and he doesn't ask for another fully guaranteed deal.  It would be nice to structure an extension in a way that lowers his huge cap hit next year so we can keep Anthony Harris and one of Waynes or Alexander.  I doubt we'll be able to keep Kearse.  Looking at his Twitter responses of late, it doesn't sound like he is planning on being here next season either...
I hope so - kind of like how Tom Brady has done it - hell, I believe Bradys contract pays him only $23 million for 2019. I mean, Kirk will have made some HUGE cash already to last a life time - he has generated generational wealth already. Maybe back load the next contract? Big question will be if the Vikings would guarantee the whole thing once again.

Earn it in the Super Bowl. 

Quote: @A1Janitor said:
Looks like this year the defense is going to be the problem in getting there more than Kirk Cousins....

From the sounds of it, KIrk actually wants to be here.  So, hopefully, he'll follow Brady's example (in more ways than one).  Considering that the guy never misses a game, is in the top half (at least) of the league and is a good guy off the field: we should definitely be making plans to re-sign him... and restructure his third year to open up some cap room.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@A1Janitor said:
Looks like this year the defense is going to be the problem in getting there more than Kirk Cousins....
Our D was also the problem when we lost to the Eagles. Well, the more I think about it - it was actually both the O and D. But our D was super brutal that game.