Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bye Week Adjustments? One That Stevie Wonder Can See For Sure
Quote: @Norse said:
@StickyBun said:
Kearse isn't a regular on D for a reason. He's a valuable backup.
Kearse isn't starting because he is in Zimmers dog house. I'm not even sure Zimmer knows where to play him.
Because he drove through a barricade drunk and was carrying a firearm without a permit. It was a dumbass thing to do. That certainly didn't help him.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Norse said:
@StickyBun said:
Kearse isn't a regular on D for a reason. He's a valuable backup.
Kearse isn't starting because he is in Zimmers dog house. I'm not even sure Zimmer knows where to play him.
He's in Zimmer's D-house because of the deal with the police, but before that he still wasn't starting. You've got Smith and Harris in front of him. To your point, he's a hybrid something-or-other. He's long and that helps in red zone coverage on D. 
Agreed.  With his size he matches up well against TE's in the Red Zone.  He got pushed off big time on that last pass to Fant.

The Defense is pretty average.  They are living on reputation alone. Usually pretty poor in the first half and better in the second half.  The last Denver drive was like 17 plays? That's absurd.

Not sure X is playing as bad as it looks - I know it looks really bad. He and Waynes were both both in position on long passes and simply did not make the play and the receiver did. 

While playing safety, Kearse bit on the Sutton double move.  That was bad. Let X bite and Kearse take away the long pass. That was a fail.  However, at the end of the game, he did the job that Barr could not do - cover Fant.  They went at him repeatedly, and he came through.  As for his drunk driving, suspend him or not.  Then let it go. If you don't want him on the team because of it, then cut him or trade him or whatever. If you are going to keep him on the team and make him active for games, let it go.

How much is Barr making to be mostly invisible? I think Zimmer just does not know how to use him. He would have been a lot better on the Jets.

Part of Hughes' problem in coverage is the same as everyone else's, the pass rush is not very good. They have to cover for a long time.  I thought the Broncos were missing a starter or two on the O-line. You could not tell. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
I agree, Kearse needs to be a regular on defense, never understood how Harris got the safety spot ahead of him, not even close to the same level of talent.  Need to start working in Hill.  I know Hughes got a late start this year, but he sure doesn't seem to be the answer.  We do not have one DB other than Kearse that I feel good about or would give a big contract.  
Sorry... but Harris is WAY better than Kearse.  And Kearse is WAY better than Sendejo.  With all due respect, I don't think that there are many who would say that Kearse is better than Harris.

Kearse isn't in the doghouse; Harris has ALWAYS been the starter.  What I don't like is that Sendejo gets to just "jump right in".  He is clearly a favorite of Zim's (an example of Zim's terrible blind spots that he has for certain players).

I'm all for getting Hughes and Hill more reps.  Rhodes is struggling... and Waynes is a constantly a tackle away from getting hurt.  But I still think Waynes is a starter; not sure about Rhodes.  I'd prefer to see us trade him (I think he's worth more than most seem to be giving him credit for) and free up some cap room.

EDIT: I forgot this one: GET SOMEONE ELSE RETURNING KICKS!  Bring back Sherels?  

Other changes?  I like our defensive line rotation; we should keep doing it.  I think we did it out of necessity (due to injuries); but all of those guys are good (with the possible exception of Jayln Holmes).  Other than that, we just need to get healthy.  Any other changes need to take place after the season.

Why does this team always seem so ill-prepared? How does a good team playing at home let a below average Bronco offense with a QB playing in his 1st road game, move up and down the field seemingly at will in the 1st half? How does a team not have an answer for what the Broncos were doing defensively? 

We always adjust well. I'll give them that. They figure it out and adjust better than anyone. But what if you came into the game a little better prepared so you don't have to adjust? Vikings annihilated the Packers, absolutely dominated them...for the last 3 quarters. But that wasn't enough to overcome the 1st quarter outburst of points.  It's not just these two games either. I can point to probably 6 to 8 games over the last couple of years where this has happened. 

Is our intel, our pro scouting reports, that bad? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Why does this team always seem so ill-prepared? How does a good team playing at home let a below average Bronco offense with a QB playing in his 1st road game, move up and down the field seemingly at will in the 1st half? How does a team not have an answer for what the Broncos were doing defensively? 

We always adjust well. I'll give them that. They figure it out and adjust better than anyone. But what if you came into the game a little better prepared so you don't have to adjust? Vikings annihilated the Packers, absolutely dominated them...for the last 3 quarters. But that wasn't enough to overcome the 1st quarter outburst of points.  It's not just these two games either. I can point to probably 6 to 8 games over the last couple of years where this has happened. 

I think the scheme and Zimm/Edwards definitely deserve scrutiny. And I think the players mindset/intestinal fortitude of some of the "big knockers" on D comes into question as well...I've had that suspicion since the NFCCG vs Philly. 

Outside of Eric Kendricks, maybe Hunter, who's have pro-bowl seasons on D? I'm not setting the bar as high as All Pro, just pro-bowl

This D's reputation is higher than how they've been playing for some time now, and the sum of the parts just aint equaling the whole anymore...

Crazy to be typing that sentiment at 8/3 too. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

I'm not sure it was coaching; I think it was the players not showing up prepared for a battle.  One of Zim's comments went something like, "I'd tried telling these guys all week that Denver is a good team..."  Sounds like he could see that the players were not taking this seriously.  I only got to watch the 2nd half (long story), but listening to the radio, it seemed like most of the problems were from the players doing stupid stuff.  Seems like a good time for this ("That's not Bob Schnelker's fault... !")

Dang it... why can't I post the video???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNcBFZ26lcI

Quote: @pumpf said:
@MaroonBells said:

I'm not sure it was coaching; I think it was the players not showing up prepared for a battle.  One of Zim's comments went something like, "I'd tried telling these guys all week that Denver is a good team..."  Sounds like he could see that the players were not taking this seriously.  I only got to watch the 2nd half (long story), but listening to the radio, it seemed like most of the problems were from the players doing stupid stuff.  Seems like a good time for this ("That's not Bob Schnelker's fault... !")

Dang it... why can't I post the video???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNcBFZ26lcI
Players or coaching or both? I can understand the offense struggling against their 4th ranked defense, with Fagio's history of shutting down the Vikings. But I just can't find any excuse for the defense not being able to dominate another backup quarterback with starting offensive linemen missing.
If Zimmer can't fix the defense during the bye week, the Vikings are done.

Zimmer said the team was lethargic in the first half. I think the Dallas came took a lot out of them. The bye week is a godsend for everyone. 

Quote: @JR44 said:
I agree, Kearse needs to be a regular on defense, never understood how Harris got the safety spot ahead of him, not even close to the same level of talent.  Need to start working in Hill.  I know Hughes got a late start this year, but he sure doesn't seem to be the answer.  We do not have one DB other than Kearse that I feel good about or would give a big contract.  
How many times did Denver go at Kearse in coverage? I counted at least 4 times he was 'in the vicinity' of a Bronco making a catch. Couple of doubleteams he was in on that also were completions. Have you also forgotten how Rodgers went straight at him until Zimmer was forced to pull him.

Meanwhile, Ant Harris is considered to be one of the better Safeties in coverage AND actually makes plays on the ball, something the rest of the Secondary rarely does.

To suggest there is some sort of talent gap between the two is correct, Harris is far more talented than Kearse and the stats prove it.