CBS Mock: @24, Zim gets his CB
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news...nd-newton/

[Image: bryce_hall_mr_inline_03.jpg?fit=2000%2C1333&ssl=1]

Round 1 - Pick 24 

Bryce Hall CB
Virginia • Sr • 6'1" / 200 lbs 

Projected Team:  Minnesota 

PROSPECT RNK: 9th           POSITION RNK:  1st 

Hall's season is over after suffering an ankle injury but he was our CB1 entering the fall. Vikings coach Mike Zimmer loves big physical cornerbacks and Hall is that and then some. Plus, Xavier Rhodes has really struggled in 2019 and former second-round pick Mackensie Alexander is in the final year of his rookie deal.

Certainly a case can be made for a DB, not sure #1 though...Depends what they do with Waynes and how much further does XR drop?

No, they really need another OL, 3t, NT too...

I can't see Rhodes on the team next year. His dead cap drops from 17M to 4M in 2020. The Vikings will probably see that as cheap fare to take $13M off the cap. And Waynes, while an OK corner, probably isn't playing up to his $9M. Could we lose them both? That leaves Hughes starting. Do we move MacKenzie outside or leave him inside where he seems to playing very well. Epps and Hill can't be counted on. 

OL and QB are also possibilities. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I can't see Rhodes on the team next year. His dead cap drops from 17M to 4M in 2020. The Vikings will probably see that as cheap fare to take $13M off the cap. And Waynes, while an OK corner, probably isn't playing up to his $9M. Could we lose them both? That leaves Hughes starting. Do we move MacKenzie outside or leave him inside where he seems to playing very well. Epps and Hill can't be counted on. 

honestly very few positions that are not on the table at 1 next year.  getting into a rookie QB deal after next year could save a fortune of future cap over having to resign Cousins at what will likely be around 35 million a year.

Recent history says it'll be a re-structure and not an outright, "Goodbye". Maybe Rhodes would rather test the market I guess, probably depends somewhat on how he finishes the year.
CB makes sense but would be tough to swallow if there's a quality QB available. I'd like to see OL too.
But if those were the first 3 selections then DT will be neglected yet again. Hmm... Rick definitely has a few ways he can go with it.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:

Recent history says it'll be a re-structure and not an outright, "Goodbye". Maybe Rhodes would rather test the market I guess, probably depends somewhat on how he finishes the year.
CB makes sense but would be tough to swallow if there's a quality QB available. I'd like to see OL too.
But if those were the first 3 selections then DT will be neglected yet again. Hmm... Rick definitely has a few ways he can go with it.
Yeah, I sort of forgot about the restructure option. That could easily happen considering where the team is in its cycle. Will Rhodes take less to stay with a contender? Seems like the Vikings have had a bit of luck with that recently. 

The Eagles filched Epps off of waivers after we took their Dejo...  Confused 

Quote: @Kentis said:
@MaroonBells said:

The Eagles filched Epps off of waivers after we took their Dejo...  Confused 
Didn't know that. Crap. 

Maybe I'm in the minority... but I wouldn't like to see us pick a CB in the first round.  They take a year or 2 to get up to speed in Zim's defense... so I think we can take a lower round pick and "coach him up".  I think we "need" to go OL or receiver... or, a stud DT, if he drops to us.  Yeah, it's kinda "need-based".  So be it.  I don't have a big problem with that- IF you get the right guy. We didn't need a RB in 2007, but took one anyway.  That turned out to be AD.  Good pick.  We needed a WR a couple years ago... but we took Treadwell.  Bad pick.  If we would've taken one of the other WRs still on the board (Michael Thomas, I think, was still available), it would've been a great pick.

Agreed.  Would love another road grader in the first round, but that defensive backfield is gonna see some changes for sure.