Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tidbits on Cook

I speak fluent Zimmer:

Interpretation:  Cook will be out until the playoffs Smile

Central is still on the line with a 1st round bye.  Even if we know we are in the playoffs we want this win and to pull for the Lions on the 29th.

Based on Cook's durability, and Mattison's performance, we need to move closer to a 60/40 or 55/45 split...Cook can't take the punishment with his violent running style...

Quote: @mjollnir_k said:
Central is still on the line with a 1st round bye.  Even if we know we are in the playoffs we want this win and to pull for the Lions on the 29th.
Central?  Can I borrow your time machine?

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Based on Cook's durability, and Mattison's performance, we need to move closer to a 60/40 or 55/45 split...Cook can't take the punishment with his violent running style...
Agreed.  I love Cook and what he brings to the offense, but he has not been the same over the past 3-4 weeks.  The guy just can’t seem to stay healthy.   It’s going to be a tough decision about his contract when it’s up.  I just can’t see paying him top RB money given his durability issues, plus we are likely to resign Kirk for top 10 QB money which will limit spending at other offensive positions.

If we still have Kubes and Dennison, we can make the running game go with lesser talent...I'd love to keep Cook, but I'm afraid the cost will be prohibitive...on the other hand, if we can continue to find contributors late Day 3, we might be able to afford him...

In Brez We Trust.

Quote: @Magnus10 said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Agreed.  I love Cook and what he brings to the offense, but he has not been the same over the past 3-4 weeks.  The guy just can’t seem to stay healthy.   It’s going to be a tough decision about his contract when it’s up.  I just can’t see paying him top RB money given his durability issues, plus we are likely to resign Kirk for top 10 QB money which will limit spending at other offensive positions.
This is kinda how I'm feeling, too.  As fans, we've expressed concern about being able to sign all of our offensive talent.  Well, it appears that our offense can be good (although not AS GOOD) without Cook.  That- plus his propensity for always getting hurt and missing time- make him a prime candidate to signing elsewhere.  Or maybe we can get something for him via trade (before his contract is up)?  He's definitely a high-end talent... but LeVeon Bell has shown us the value of high-end RBs.  I think that Cook is worlds-better as a person, and probably puts more effort into his preparation.  But he still struggles to stay on the field... and can be replaced by a much-lesser talent... for alot less money... and minimal negative impact on our offense.  

At the level of compensation that he's expected to earn, we would be better off letting him go (one way or another) and focusing on our O and D Lines.  

I would love to keep Cook but I hate when they say the Vikings offense goes through Cook. 
After Peterson left I didn't want to see a running back offense where the opposing team loads the box and stuffs us.  I prefer the offense that has developed with Cook and Thielen injured and that is this multi-headed offense with Rudy, Diggs, Ham, Mattison, Cook (when healthy), Adam (when healthy), Smith Jr., Bisi, etc.  Pick your poison and when you do we are going to come at you with someone else.
It seems like Cook was very effective in the first quarter of the season when he would get to the edge and streak up the side lines or hit the cracks in the defense.  Like one poster said, in the last 3-4 games he seems more limited with teams loading up in the box.
I still would like to keep him but it boils down to money and I understand that it might be better to go with Mattison and another, cheaper, explosive back.

Cook update....
Well, fast-forward to halftime of tonight’s Monday Night Football game and ESPN’s Adam Schefter was singing a much-different tune. He’s not expecting Cook back during the regular season.
https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-north/minnes...ury-update