Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The one thing that could make me quit watching football summed up in a tweet

Rick Gosselin‏ @RickGosselin9
FollowFollow @RickGosselin9
More
Ten years ago the NFL averaged 11.8 penalties for 97.3 yards per game. Five years ago the averages were 13.2 penalties for 111.1 yards. This season NFL games average 14.9 penalties for 124.5 yards. The more the flags, the worse the game.

I've been bitching about penalties a lot in the past couple of years. Going into the Lions game last Sunday, I was anticipating the Vikings getting hosed by "make-up penalties" for the way the Lions were screwed against Green Bay. I was bitching about it even before kickoff. 
I've been wondering if maybe it's just me. It seems like, to me, more and more games are being decided by bullshit calls than ever before. I didn't have any proof that there was an increase in penalties now as compared to the past, until I read that tweet this morning.

It almost ruins the game to constantly have penalties disrupt the flow. Obvious penalties have to be called but a lot of the calls are ticky-tack bullshit that erases a touchdown or just kills momentum. I hate that I spend energy hating on the refs while I should be enjoying my weekly football fix. 

Maybe the NFL will hear the noise and challenge the refs to use more common sense. 

something. def. needs to. change. everyone is talking. about it.  and. more and. more people. are seeing that. some. teams. benefit. more. than. other. teams. from. the. officiating 

It is my #1 annoyance as well.  Even watching high school, when the refs inject themselves constantly into the game, it makes it so hard to watch.  Let the kids play.
In the NFL, it is the culture of over-reaction, of instant access.  They think they have to fix ever issue instantly.  Like the obvious missed PI call against NO.  It happens.  Back in 2010, they didn't suddenly change the rules because Favre was hurt.  Now if Rodgers gets dinged, we have new rules.  If the refs miss a call, then we need to make subjective calls reviewable.  

Something inherently wrong with hearing "The play is being reviewed IN NEW YORK"

Something needs to be done! What? i don’t know!

Less penalties doesn’t mean a more fairly called game. We all see the Packers OL get away with a mugging of our DL every single game. 
So more penalties against the Packers would be in order.

To me, it isn’t just the amount of penalties, but when they are called. The Packers drive for the win against the Lions would be an example, or the TD called back against the Vikings during the Packers game.

It is more the bias of the flag more than the number of  flags.

Quote: @greediron said:
It is my #1 annoyance as well.  Even watching high school, when the refs inject themselves constantly into the game, it makes it so hard to watch.  Let the kids play.
In the NFL, it is the culture of over-reaction, of instant access.  They think they have to fix ever issue instantly.  Like the obvious missed PI call against NO.  It happens.  Back in 2010, they didn't suddenly change the rules because Favre was hurt.  Now if Rodgers gets dinged, we have new rules.  If the refs miss a call, then we need to make subjective calls reviewable.  
A buddy of mine used to ref high school games. His attitude was that he wasn’t going to call anything unless it was over the top. 
While that does let the kids play, it could also benefit one team over the other and the next time when a ref wants to call everything, those same kids wonder why they could do it the game before, but not this game.
There are rules for a reason, clean play should be taught and encouraged. 

Quote: @Vanguard83 said:
Something inherently wrong with hearing "The play is being reviewed IN NEW YORK"
It's like the Wizzard of Oz. Some dweeb behind the curtain is pulling the strings. No chance of corruption or ineptitude there I am sure!

I'm still pissed about the review of something that wasn't called on the field. The intent of the review is to see if it was a TD or not period!

Quote: @Riphawkins said:

@greediron said:
A buddy of mine used to ref high school games. His attitude was that he wasn’t going to call anything unless it was over the top. 
While that does let the kids play, it could also benefit one team over the other and the next time when a ref wants to call everything, those same kids wonder why they could do it the game before, but not this game.
There are rules for a reason, clean play should be taught and encouraged. 
I agree on the clean play and playing within the rules needs to be emphasized.  But there are so many times when the refs go beyond that and really disrupt the flow of the game.  And in a sluggish game, it probably leads to worse play and more penalties.

Ban all rules except time, down, distance etc.

Let them maul each other all game...Hell, it worked in the '70's

I think we need to start differentiating between the refs being bad individually and the way in which the league wants the refs to call the game being bad. JMO, but the refs arent any worse now than when I first started watching in the 80's. What is worse is all of the offensively skewed rules that have been added/tweaked in the last 15 or so years. Like it or not people want to see high powered offense and so the league obliged by tilting the field to the offense with these rules.