Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are yah starting to believe in this OL and Scheme now?
Quote: @dadevike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
@MaroonBells said:
It was a coup biak. 
He was not supposed to be available. Imagine our luck. Everyone in Denver expected him back. But they'd just hired a new head coach, whom they couldn't exactly handcuff by forcing him to take on Kubiak's guys. So Kubiak, the outside zone run-game guru, walks...just in time for a team with a QB who cut his teeth in the Shanahan/Kubiak system, a team with a new OC who could use a mentor, a team with a back whose strength was outside zone, a team that was almost "angrily" committed to running the ball more.
Not to diminish what Stef has done because his play calling has been beautiful. But getting Kubiak and his team was a stroke of luck on several levels. What's more, Stefanski now becomes a branch on the Shanahan coaching tree along with the younger Shanahan and McVay. 
I hesitate to call it the Shanahan tree  because you will find many, many smart people out there who will argue it was more Kubiak than it was Shanahan.  

Right. So if the Vikings continue to have success and make a deep run in the playoffs . . . do we lose Stefansky to a HC job after this season?  This is jumping the gun, no doubt, but I felt the same way with Shermur. 
his name was mentioned before the O even started clicking as a potential HC for the Redskins opening.

I had not heard that.  If he continues calling plays like he has the last 3 games, we simply cannot afford to lose him and then start over.  Make him the co-HC. 
I am expecting the Vikings to keep him as the successor to Zimmer if he is successful.  I know Zimmer says he wants to coach indefinitely,  but the stress of the job is taking its toll on him.   I wouldnt be surprised to see him step away as soon as after next year.   I know Zimm is defensive genius but he is nearly 65,  if Stefanski is what some think he is I think he would have more value going forward than Zim would have for only a couple more years or so.   I also think that if Stefanski were to leave that would be the end of our entire offensive coaching staff as he would likely take his buddy Klint with him and so would go daddy and his OL guru.

No. They've faced 3 good to great pass rushes, 2 on the road and 1 at home. In the 2 road games they struggled mightily.

The scheme is absolutely right. But it can't cover for Reiff having problems with speed rushers. It can't completely cover Elf's so-so movement skills. And teams aren't going to let Cousins roll out 10 times a game the rest of the year.

But man if this isn't the best stretch of Pass Pro I can remember in ages! And the solutions for improvement may very well already be in-house. Samia at LG next year. O'Neil to LT and Udoh to RT. Elf becomes Berger 2.0 backing up the Center and Guard spots. Dozier improves. Hell, I don't trust Hill farther than I could  throw him but he looked good at LT filling in for Reiff.

The right coaching and mostly the right players. But I need to see it on the road against a good  pass rush. Cowboys game should be a great test.

Quote: @dadevike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@dadevike said:
@MaroonBells said:
It was a coup biak. 
He was not supposed to be available. Imagine our luck. Everyone in Denver expected him back. But they'd just hired a new head coach, whom they couldn't exactly handcuff by forcing him to take on Kubiak's guys. So Kubiak, the outside zone run-game guru, walks...just in time for a team with a QB who cut his teeth in the Shanahan/Kubiak system, a team with a new OC who could use a mentor, a team with a back whose strength was outside zone, a team that was almost "angrily" committed to running the ball more.
Not to diminish what Stef has done because his play calling has been beautiful. But getting Kubiak and his team was a stroke of luck on several levels. What's more, Stefanski now becomes a branch on the Shanahan coaching tree along with the younger Shanahan and McVay. 
I hesitate to call it the Shanahan tree  because you will find many, many smart people out there who will argue it was more Kubiak than it was Shanahan.  

Right. So if the Vikings continue to have success and make a deep run in the playoffs . . . do we lose Stefansky to a HC job after this season?  This is jumping the gun, no doubt, but I felt the same way with Shermur. 
his name was mentioned before the O even started clicking as a potential HC for the Redskins opening.

I had not heard that.  If he continues calling plays like he has the last 3 games, we simply cannot afford to lose him and then start over.  Make him the co-HC. 
Kubiak might be available to take over if it comes to that though. 

But man-o-man how the tides have changed in 3 games/weeks.  There's still a fire Zimmer thread on the front page lol. 

It's been an enjoyable stretch since Chicago, but my attitude is only "cautiously optimistic". They won 3 games convincingly, but they were all games the Vikings should have won. Now, my biggest optimism is that many Vikings teams have found ways to lose any or all 3 of them. The Giants could have been a loss because we were on the road, against our former OC, with a mobile rookie QB that Zim didn't know. The Eagles could have been a loss because Pederson has a reputation for out-scheming other coaches. The Lions could have been a loss because we were on the road against an improved division opponent, and even a young defensive guru surprising an aging defensive guru. But none of those "past excuses" were needed, so that's great. Now we have another game where the Vikings look far superior but have excuses ready: national TV, short week, Cousins against his old team...let's see.
So if we are 6-2 Friday morning, good job by the 2019 Vikings for avoiding some past traps. But then the real tests start: KCs and Dallas on the road. If they lose both (6-4), this is a team unlikely to finish with more than 9 or 10 wins, praying to back into the playoffs, and still deserving the reputation of only defeating losing teams.
If the Vikings split KC and Dallas, it's pretty good but we will still have 3 losses and that's probably 1 more than the Packers will have (I'm hoping they will lose another in the next 3 weeks). 7-3 is OK and in the wildcard hunt, but might be out of the hunt for a division title. Fans can forget those early division losses if you want, but the season record remembers them.
But if the Vikings continue their streak and beat BOTH the Chiefs and Cowboys, go into the bye at 9-2...I'll be singing like Mickey Dolenz.
[url=]https://vikefans.com/vfforums/discussion/9840/%3Ciframe%20width=%22640%22%20height=%22360%22%20src=%22https://www.youtube.com/embed/rcnsao7Y0gk%22%20frameborder=%220%22%20allow=%22accelerometer;%20autoplay;%20encrypted-media;%20gyroscope;%20picture-in-picture%22%20allowfullscreen%3E%3C/iframe%3E[/url]

I'm a Viking fan.  How could I do anything OTHER than just wait and see?   It's too hard to give them blind faith (again and again and again).

Quote: @pumpf said:
I'm a Viking fan.  How could I do anything OTHER than just wait and see?   It's too hard to give them blind faith (again and again and again).
Lol no kidding. How many times does Lucy yank the ball before Charlie says enough. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@pumpf said:
Lol no kidding. How many times does Lucy yank the ball before Charlie says enough. 
He never has....

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@AGRforever said:
@pumpf said:
He never has....
So Chuck was a Viking fan?

Quote: @Jor-El said:
It's been an enjoyable stretch since Chicago, but my attitude is only "cautiously optimistic". They won 3 games convincingly, but they were all games the Vikings should have won. Now, my biggest optimism is that many Vikings teams have found ways to lose any or all 3 of them. The Giants could have been a loss because we were on the road, against our former OC, with a mobile rookie QB that Zim didn't know. The Eagles could have been a loss because Pederson has a reputation for out-scheming other coaches. The Lions could have been a loss because we were on the road against an improved division opponent, and even a young defensive guru surprising an aging defensive guru. But none of those "past excuses" were needed, so that's great. Now we have another game where the Vikings look far superior but have excuses ready: national TV, short week, Cousins against his old team...let's see.
So if we are 6-2 Friday morning, good job by the 2019 Vikings for avoiding some past traps. But then the real tests start: KCs and Dallas on the road. If they lose both (6-4), this is a team unlikely to finish with more than 9 or 10 wins, praying to back into the playoffs, and still deserving the reputation of only defeating losing teams.
If the Vikings split KC and Dallas, it's pretty good but we will still have 3 losses and that's probably 1 more than the Packers will have (I'm hoping they will lose another in the next 3 weeks). 7-3 is OK and in the wildcard hunt, but might be out of the hunt for a division title. Fans can forget those early division losses if you want, but the season record remembers them.
But if the Vikings continue their streak and beat BOTH the Chiefs and Cowboys, go into the bye at 9-2...I'll be singing like Mickey Dolenz.
[url=]">https://vikefans.com/vfforums/discussion.../iframe%3E[/url]
Mickey Dolenz?  The Monkeys?  Awesome. “I’m a believer!”

The scheme more than the OL.  At least they seems to know where to go now... they just don't always get there.