Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will be interesting to see...
Will Sean Peyton pull a Belichek/Matt Cassel move with Teddy?

Or is he truly the future after Brees?

I heard on a radio talk show whispers of the former vs latter...

It's going to be dicey. If I understand the situation right, if Brees plays next year, he'll be a $41M hit to their cap. No way can the Saints afford that AND sign Bridgewater, who has very likely earned a massive pay day. Even if Brees retires, he'll cost the Saints $21M in dead cap hit. If the Saints trade Teddy, they go into '20 with a 41 year old, $41M QB who really hasn't looked that great in his last 6 to 8 games. 

Personally, I think the Saints "encourage" Brees to retire and Teddy is the future there. It sounds like the team and the community is (surprise, surprise) in LOVE with young Theodore, with a few even suggesting that he should remain the starter even when Brees is healthy. That won't happen, but he's playing very well right now. I read a stat on Twitter yesterday that said that his career against-the-spread record is the best in NFL history. I'm not a bettor but I think that means he plays well in big games. I guess they don't call him GUMP for nothing. 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1186060272760311808

My season tix buddy just got back from Nawlins...

Said the fans down there love them some Teddy...

Teddy is a winner. 

Brees wouldn’t be $41M in 2020.  They would give him a contract extension that
probably looks a lot like his current deal, $21M in 2020 and another $21M in
2021 that they’d still have to pay out regardless of whether he plays or not.

If Brees retires willingly, I think you have an easy choice,
resign Bridgewater.  I don’t think he’s
been perfect or even spectacular, but he’s likely the best QB they’ll be able
to find on the market.

If Brees wants to come back, I think you’d probably have to
assess how long he’ll be able to play for, and make a tough decision.  Bridgewater’s a known quantity.  You don’t really know what rookies would be
available in the draft.   Obviously Brees
is better for the short term, but keeping Brees not making the SB and whiffing
on the rookie, would be pretty sour for their fans.

I say they should go with Brees.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
It's going to be dicey. If I understand the situation right, if Brees plays next year, he'll be a $41M hit to their cap. No way can the Saints afford that AND sign Bridgewater, who has very likely earned a massive pay day. Even if Brees retires, he'll cost the Saints $21M in dead cap hit. If the Saints trade Teddy, they go into '20 with a 41 year old, $41M QB who really hasn't looked that great in his last 6 to 8 games. 

Personally, I think the Saints "encourage" Brees to retire and Teddy is the future there. It sounds like the team and the community is (surprise, surprise) in LOVE with young Theodore, with a few even suggesting that he should remain the starter even when Brees is healthy. That won't happen, but he's playing very well right now. I read a stat on Twitter yesterday that said that his career against-the-spread record is the best in NFL history. I'm not a bettor but I think that means he plays well in big games. I guess they don't call him GUMP for nothing. 

https://twitter.com/i/status/1186060272760311808
He's looking back to his mobile self. That play is the kind of stuff he did in college and why we drafted him in the first place. So happy for him - I miss him playing for the Vikes though. Incredible story: From potentially a career ending freak injury that almost cost him his leg, to being a stud on the field. He keeps this up and stays healthy he will finally make his well deserved $$  on his next contract.