Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stefanski news
EAGAN, Minn. - Kevin Stefanski will return to the Vikings as offensive coordinator, the team announced Wednesday afternoon.
Stefanski
finished the season as interim offensive coordinator and his contract
expired Tuesday. He was one of two finalists for the Cleveland head
coaching position but the Browns on Wednesday selected offensive
coordinator Freddie Kitchens.
“Kevin is a
smart young coach with a bright future,” said Vikings head coach Mike
Zimmer. “I’m happy to have him take over the offensive coordinator job.
His work ethic and teaching ability have been obvious to me behind the
scenes since I came here five years ago. He’s well respected by coaches
and players both and I know he’s up to the task.”

Stefanski has been with the Vikings since 2006 and is their longest-tenured assistant coach.
Stefanski
began 2018 as quarterbacks coach before being promoted to offensive
coordinator on an interim basis when John DeFilippo was fired Dec. 11.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@StickyBun said:
Good to hear about Stefanski, I'm a big fan of continuity. I also believe good players make good coaches. Upgrade that O-line and watch Stefanski flourish. 
I do think continuity is helpful, and was concerned that a total shift (like power blocking) by another OC would take another year of adjustment.
The biggest downside to Stefanski is that Zimmer seems to meddle and question his offensive coordinator UNLESS he's a former HC himself, and then Zimmer has trust. If Stefanski has some bumpy games, Zimmer will grumble, or worse.
have any of the other OC's not give him a reason to grumble?  And Norv was a former head coach.  So, that line of thinking seems pretty thin.  So one OC was struggling and Zim was asked about it for several weeks in a row.  Him responding to that growing line of questions is grumbling?

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@StickyBun said:
Good to hear about Stefanski, I'm a big fan of continuity. I also believe good players make good coaches. Upgrade that O-line and watch Stefanski flourish. 
I do think continuity is helpful, and was concerned that a total shift (like power blocking) by another OC would take another year of adjustment.
The biggest downside to Stefanski is that Zimmer seems to meddle and question his offensive coordinator UNLESS he's a former HC himself, and then Zimmer has trust. If Stefanski has some bumpy games, Zimmer will grumble, or worse.
If the O is working Zimmer doesn't say shit,  when it's struggling  it's his job meddle and speak up.  JfC,  when Zimmer called out defillippo and the O for not using the run enough he was saying the same damn thing every fan was thinking.  I dont get the meddling crazy old man shit about Zim. 

He's to hands off
...he's  to hands on
WTF can the guy do to make this fan base happy?  Win?  Well he's done that more often than not and is working his ass off to get better at it.  When this is all done this year..20 coaches didn't make the playoffs and 31 will end their season with a loss.

Really glad things worked out this way.  Beef up the OL & it's off to the races.

Quote: @1VikesFan said:
Really glad things worked out this way.  Beef up the OL & it's off to the races.
I think we need to get a OL coach before beefing it up.  

Longevity and continuity ARE generally good things in theory. But Stefanski's time with the Vikings comes during a 14 year run that has produced TWO PLAYOFF WINS. That is a supposed selling point? 

YIKES. In 5 years, the same people that are applauding this "move" will be using it as an EXCUSE. Just like Childress, Ponder, Frazier, Walsh, Turner, Bradford, Carlson, DeFilipo, Jackson, etc. When they're here it's a great decision.... a few years after they're gone, memories are magically wiped clean and those players/coaches are villified.

I'm not sure, and I have no intention of wasting my time researching it, but I can't recall a 14 year stretch of such consistent playoff futility in Vikings history. I DO know that during that stretch they've had their LOSINGEST season in their history.  So, we got THAT going for us. 

Good luck, Stefanski. You're gonna need it with a HC and GM with their nuts to the fire....they BOTH have a well documented history of sacrificing numerous scapegoats in order to save their own ass'. Keep your options open, dude, you might need to relocate in 10 months. 

Quote: @njvike said:
Longevity and continuity ARE generally good things in theory. But Stefanski's time with the Vikings comes during a 14 year run that has produced TWO PLAYOFF WINS. That is a supposed selling point? 

YIKES. In 5 years, the same people that are applauding this "move" will be using it as an EXCUSE. Just like Childress, Ponder, Frazier, Walsh, Turner, Bradford, Carlson, DeFilipo, Jackson, etc. When they're here it's a great decision.... a few years after they're gone, memories are magically wiped clean and those players/coaches are villified.

I'm not sure, and I have no intention of wasting my time researching it, but I can't recall a 14 year stretch of such consistent playoff futility in Vikings history. I DO know that during that stretch they've had their LOSINGEST season in their history.  So, we got THAT going for us. 

Good luck, Stefanski. You're gonna need it with a HC and GM with their nuts to the fire....they BOTH have a well documented history of sacrificing numerous scapegoats in order to save their own ass'. Keep your options open, dude, you might need to relocate in 10 months. 
Blah, Blah Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah Blah, Blah Blah, Blah...

Sounds like Zimmer offered the job to KS LAST WEEK...

A day after flying to Cleveland for a second interview with the Browns for their head coaching position, Kevin Stefanski returned to Minnesota to accept the job he missed out on a year ago.
Stefanski will be the Vikings’ permanent offensive coordinator in 2019, the team announced, after the Browns chose offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens as their next head coach. Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, sources said, had offered the permanent job to Stefanski last week, before his contract expired Tuesday, and Stefanski was waiting to see how things played out between him and the Browns before accepting.
http://www.startribune.com/kevin-stefans...504109912/

Quote: @SDCAVIKESFAN said:
@1VikesFan said:
I think we need to get a OL coach before beefing it up.  
Just assumed that was part of the equation.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Sounds like Zimmer offered the job to KS LAST WEEK...

A day after flying to Cleveland for a second interview with the Browns for their head coaching position, Kevin Stefanski returned to Minnesota to accept the job he missed out on a year ago.
Stefanski will be the Vikings’ permanent offensive coordinator in 2019, the team announced, after the Browns chose offensive coordinator Freddie Kitchens as their next head coach. Vikings coach Mike Zimmer, sources said, had offered the permanent job to Stefanski last week, before his contract expired Tuesday, and Stefanski was waiting to see how things played out between him and the Browns before accepting.
http://www.startribune.com/kevin-stefans...504109912/
The truth is so boring.