BREAKING: Vikings make trade with Houston, add 1st round pick
Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Havoc1649 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
Welp, it's nice to have options and this helps us with that. Unfortunately for us this now becomes essentially a one player draft if we move up because we don't draft again until pick #108 in the 4th round. 
You don't get something for nothing. And so far anyway, we haven't given up a single future 1st, which was pretty much the assumption going in...
I do certainly like that aspect. It's a good thing we have cap money to spend next season because we've lacked picks, and probably will continue to lack picks, to replenish the roster. 
I think this has been all part of the plan all along. KAM likes signing young FAs with some upside....he'll continue to do that with much more cap space next year. If he pulls off this future QB thing, some people are going to have egg on their face about him. Because the FA period so far for them has been stellar.
And if he blows it, a lot of people will also have egg on their faces. I won't hold my breath, but certainly am hopeful like everyone else. 

As far as free agency goes, calling what we've done "stellar" so far is a stretch. Outside of Jones giving us a little more juice at running back, where are the upgrades? 

He signed two excellent edge rushers and a top notch Linebacker day 1 of free agency. 
I bet most Vikings fans didn't even know who Jonathan Greenard was before we signed him. Be honest. Anybody? I also don't know that any of them are upgrades to the players they were signed to replace. All things being equal I'd take Hunter/Wonnum/Hicks over Greenard/Van Ginkel/Cashman

I knew each and every one of them, just like I knew nearly every free agent who was available at our positions of need. 

Greenard: 8th in the league in run stopping for Edges. 12.5 sacks, 697 snaps.
PFF Grade: 76.7   30th out of 112

Van Ginkel: 727 snaps, 6 sacks, pick 6, PFF Grade: 91.1 7th highest Edge grade in the league last year. 7th out of 112 players

Blake Cashman: 846 snaps. Over the past two seasons: 19 pressures, five sacks and five quarterback hits on just 94 pass rush snaps. 

PFF coverage grade: 79.7, 15th in league
7% missed tackle rate - top 15 in league
PFF overall grade: 82.1 which was 8th in the league out of 82 at the position. 

DJ Wannum: 826 snaps. PFF 62.3   74th out of 112
Danielle Hunter: freakish 1004 snaps. PFF 78.0.  28th out of 112
Jordan Hicks: 813 snaps, PFF 74.6.   22nd out of 82 

Hunter - 16.5 sacks in 1004 snaps
Greenard - 12.5 sacks in 697 snaps

I’ve been hard on Kwesi, but he did great here. i wanted each of these guys too and besides a DT I wanted really bad and an older corner who would have been nice to have, KAM got them all.

I loved the other guys, but I’ll keep the new guys. 

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
Actually, I would be pissed/disappointed if we packaged two and moved up a few spots.  We're good at 11 and 23.  I feel SOOOO much better sitting there.
My position:  I am not a fan of May or JJ McCarthy.  Jayden Daniels will not drop to 3.  There is some real talent at Penix and Nix that will definitely available at 11, possibly at 23 (but I wouldn't bet past Denver, who IS DEFINITELY going to snarff one of them up).

I will say this...getting that second 1st round pick has ENERGIZED this board.  Very good!
Someone is going to be disappointed. We will NOT be picking in either of those spots. 

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
Actually, I would be pissed/disappointed if we packaged two and moved up a few spots.  We're good at 11 and 23.  I feel SOOOO much better sitting there.
My position:  I am not a fan of May or JJ McCarthy.  Jayden Daniels will not drop to 3.  There is some real talent at Penix and Nix that will definitely available at 11, possibly at 23 (but I wouldn't bet past Denver, who IS DEFINITELY going to snarff one of them up).

I will say this...getting that second 1st round pick has ENERGIZED this board.  Very good!
Prepare for disappointment. They didn't make a less than optimal trade to not move up. All part of the plan to get a top 4 or 5 pick. Move up a few spots? lol, well that's kind of a big deal to do in round one from #11 to possibly #3 to #5. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Montana Tom said:

Prepare for disappointment. They didn't make a less than optimal trade to not move up. All part of the plan to get a top 4 or 5 pick. Move up a few spots? lol, well that's kind of a big deal to do in round one from #11 to possibly #3 to #5. 
I agree Sticky, but Tom's plan would be nice too.  I haven't compared the QBs on my own (not my thing), but having two 1st and selecting a stud DL and your QBOTF (Nix or Pennix) sounds like a great draft to me.  I'm sure it's KOC that will be making the call on what QB KAM selects.  I'll trust that KOC knows who he wants and be perfectly happy with the trade up.

Just pick a QB better than Kramer, Ponder or Bridgewater please...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Obviously hoping for more, but I'd be OK with a Kramer. Maybe even a pre-knee Teddy. I'm just praying we don't end up with a Zach Wilson or a Josh Rosen or a Trey Lance or a Dwayne Haskins...someone who can't play in the NFL at all. 

No doubt we are moving up to at least 4 and maybe higher.  I do also agree with those that said we probably have a handshake deal in place.  

We are a month away from having our (Kwesi/KOC) projected franchise QB!!!  I have been asking for us to take this shot when they identify their guy!  I have zero doubt they have 1 guy targeted.  

Doesn't mean this approach (risk/reward) will work out but not to pee on the 6-year Kirk parade (veteran approach) that didn't work either.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:
Obviously hoping for more, but I'd be OK with a Kramer. Maybe even a pre-knee Teddy. I'm just praying we don't end up with a Zach Wilson or a Josh Rosen or a Trey Lance or a Dwayne Haskins...someone who can't play in the NFL at all. 

We should be ok there. This group is supremely more talented. It’s closer to a Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love group. Covid has presented a unique situation where we have ended up with essentialy two years of quality prospects in one draft. 

The more I thought about this last night, the more I think the target is either Daniels if possible, or most likely Nix at 4 or 5. 

I think Nix is their target and they know they need to get up there to be sure they can get him.The guy’s tape is simply too clean and too advanced to ignore. I get pundits and draft gurus being perplexed by him and the offense he played in, but there’s simply no world in which I see NFL coaches watching his tape and not recognizing how high his “ceiling” is. His “ceiling” (and I hate the whole ceiling floor stuff because it’s really not rational, but I’ll use it because people understand it) is along the lines of Aaron Rodgers. 

He actually reminds me a lot of Rodgers coming out. Both had that natural ball placement and accuracy while already recognizing how to attack defenses. Rodgers wasn’t as polished as Nix is, but he took the JC route before putting up two good yearsa Cal. Still, the traits are the same whether arm strength or ability to run. I screamed for Rodgers even though we already had a QB. When a guy has “it”, no matter what the so called “experts” say, you grab him. It’s my guess, KOC put on the tape and recognized the same things I do and he’s not the only one. Sean Payton will be coming for him and that’s why they need to move up. Rodgers faced the same knocks - not “prototype” size, probably maxed out, the system made him look better than he is…..it’s interesting how their evals line up - even though the tape showed extreme talent. 

We took Troy Williamson and Erasmus James that year and I’m still pissed at the stupidity of it. It was a weird draft in that you had Alex Smith the “consensus” number 1 pick and Rodgers the number 2, but a fair number of teams not that into him. In fact, Matt Jones a QB turned WR went before him. It was baffling and still is to this day. It will be interesting to see how things play out, but there may be as many 6 legit franchise QB’s come out of this draft. 

Quote: @HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@Montana Tom said:

I agree Sticky, but Tom's plan would be nice too.  I haven't compared the QBs on my own (not my thing), but having two 1st and selecting a stud DL and your QBOTF (Nix or Pennix) sounds like a great draft to me.  I'm sure it's KOC that will be making the call on what QB KAM selects.  I'll trust that KOC knows who he wants and be perfectly happy with the trade up.
Yep, I actually said as much in an earlier response to Tom in another thread. But that's not what this is about, its about moving up. 

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@purplefaithful said:

We should be ok there. This group is supremely more talented. It’s closer to a Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Love group. Covid has presented a unique situation where we have ended up with essentialy two years of quality prospects in one draft. 

The more I thought about this last night, the more I think the target is either Daniels if possible, or most likely Nix at 4 or 5. 

I think Nix is their target and they know they need to get up there to be sure they can get him.The guy’s tape is simply too clean and too advanced to ignore. I get pundits and draft gurus being perplexed by him and the offense he played in, but there’s simply no world in which I see NFL coaches watching his tape and not recognizing how high his “ceiling” is. His “ceiling” (and I hate the whole ceiling floor stuff because it’s really not rational, but I’ll use it because people understand it) is along the lines of Aaron Rodgers. 

He actually reminds me a lot of Rodgers coming out. Both had that natural ball placement and accuracy while already recognizing how to attack defenses. Rodgers wasn’t as polished as Nix is, but he took the JC route before putting up two good yearsa Cal. Still, the traits are the same whether arm strength or ability to run. I screamed for Rodgers even though we already had a QB. When a guy has “it”, no matter what the so called “experts” say, you grab him. It’s my guess, KOC put on the tape and recognized the same things I do and he’s not the only one. Sean Payton will be coming for him and that’s why they need to move up. Rodgers faced the same knocks - not “prototype” size, probably maxed out, the system made him look better than he is…..it’s interesting how their evals line up - even though the tape showed extreme talent. 

We took Troy Williamson and Erasmus James that year and I’m still pissed at the stupidity of it. It was a weird draft in that you had Alex Smith the “consensus” number 1 pick and Rodgers the number 2, but a fair number of teams not that into him. In fact, Matt Jones a QB turned WR went before him. It was baffling and still is to this day. It will be interesting to see how things play out, but there may be as many 6 legit franchise QB’s come out of this draft. 
If your evaluation is correct and he is also the fastest processor in the bunch, I would be delighted if he is their chosen one. I am a big believer in finding the one single quarterback you believe in and doing what it takes to get him instead of hoping for one of two or three to be available and end up with leftovers.
If the one you want isn't there, pass and build a better team around the one you will get next year.