Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Economics...
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
its great that wall street is happy,  but what about the working class that cant afford to fill their vehicles?  or the farmers and ranchers that are seeing inputs go through the roof once again?  ( did you know that fertilizer is made with natural gas and with that shit exploding in price fertilizer for ag crops is following suite)  food costs,  as well as all other goods are seeing price jumps and while yes,  those with healthy pensions or retirement portfolios are happy,  there is a large segment of this countrys population that is feeling a pinch that is only going to continue to get worse... and then of course there will be a call for more govt handouts to assist those that are having a hard time making ends meet,  and the cycle continues.
Can't argue with this. 

its great that wall street is happy,  but what about the working class that cant afford to fill their vehicles?  or the farmers and ranchers that are seeing inputs go through the roof once again?  ( did you know that fertilizer is made with natural gas and with that shit exploding in price fertilizer for ag crops is following suite)  food costs,  as well as all other goods are seeing price jumps and while yes,  those with healthy pensions or retirement portfolios are happy,  there is a large segment of this countrys population that is feeling a pinch that is only going to continue to get worse... and then of course there will be a call for more govt handouts to assist those that are having a hard time making ends meet,  and the cycle continues.

I thought you were a fan of capitalism?  Are you suggesting price controls, more subsidies.  Why are we continuing to export more petroleum out of the country when we are still importing.  Perhaps it's more lucrative, to Exon to sell petroleum internationally than selling to pinched segments of the American population.  What's the solution,  I'm interested in how to solve your problems.     

The United States became a net annual petroleum exporter in 2020

In 2020, the United States exported about 8.51 MMb/d and imported about 7.86 MMb/d of petroleum1,
making the United States a net annual petroleum exporter for the first
time since at least 1949. Also in 2020, the United States produced2 about 18.40 million barrels per day (MMb/d) of petroleum, and consumed3
about 18.12 MMb/d. Even though in 2020, total U.S. annual petroleum
production was greater than total petroleum consumption and exports were
greater than imports, the United States still imported some crude oil
and petroleum products from other countries to help to supply domestic
demand for petroleum and to supply international markets.

The United States remained a net crude oil importer in
2020, importing nearly 5.88 MMb/d and exporting about 3.18 MMb/d.
However, some of the crude oil that the U.S. imports is refined by U.S.
refineries into petroleum products—such as gasoline, heating oil, diesel
fuel, and jet fuel—that the U.S. exports. Also, some of imported
petroleum may be stored and subsequently exported.
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/oil-...xports.php

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
It's funny that you make it to be a unique US problem, it's not, it's global.  I have been in Germany the past two months and it's the same issues all over the world.  It's a bit myopic and very naive, but mostly self serving to say political issues in the US are driving all this .  But that is what you do, so have at it.   These past couple of months have been very productive for me and have I had some interesting insight into manufacturing issues and feeding new supply chain models.  It's a great time and there are a lot of opportunities, if you keep you eyes and mind open.  Things are going to be changing and I guarantee they won't be looking the same as they did any time in the past, "again" ain't going to happen in any good way.
As far as US domestic shipping issues, at least listen to what this guy has to say.https://news.yahoo.com/eventually-impact-safety-security-country-195643993.html
Here is the data on US crude oil production, doesn't appear to be tracking the price increases.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-stat...production

Here we are paying 1.7 Euro per Liter, that's $7.52 a gallon.  You should be more appreciative of that subsidized fuel your putting in you pickups. 

For grins and giggles take a look at our GDP, someone is making some serious bank, but apparently not victims.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-stat...wth-annual

…….. Are you implying that not all bad things that happen during a presidency are attributable to the current president?

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"BigAl99" said:
It's funny that you make it to be a unique US problem, it's not, it's global.  I have been in Germany the past two months and it's the same issues all over the world.  It's a bit myopic and very naive, but mostly self serving to say political issues in the US are driving all this .  But that is what you do, so have at it.   These past couple of months have been very productive for me and have I had some interesting insight into manufacturing issues and feeding new supply chain models.  It's a great time and there are a lot of opportunities, if you keep you eyes and mind open.  Things are going to be changing and I guarantee they won't be looking the same as they did any time in the past, "again" ain't going to happen in any good way.
As far as US domestic shipping issues, at least listen to what this guy has to say.https://news.yahoo.com/eventually-impact-safety-security-country-195643993.html
Here is the data on US crude oil production, doesn't appear to be tracking the price increases.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-stat...production

Here we are paying 1.7 Euro per Liter, that's $7.52 a gallon.  You should be more appreciative of that subsidized fuel your putting in you pickups. 

For grins and giggles take a look at our GDP, someone is making some serious bank, but apparently not victims.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-stat...wth-annual

…….. Are you implying that not all bad things that happen during a presidency are attributable to the current president?
Less than a year into the term, that would perhaps be prudent.  But in our current cycle/political atmosphere that will not happen.  As you sow you shall reap, things maybe over, running on the promise of a civil war is the chant from Iowa.

time for farmers to start siding on putting a price on carbon, make more money per acre with yield plus carbon through management.  Improved management that also lowers input costs?  Next year with considerably more stored organic carbon in the ground, healthier conditions for crops without needing as many inputs.  I am consulting an organization who is pushing a carbon accounting system in one of the Midwest's key production states, one that has support from 6 leading state GOP members (including the former Sec of Ag of another key midwest production state).

Fertilizer prices are also driven by the fact that the key component is a cartel business, potash.  With 88% of the world's supply being held by Canada and Russia/Belarus (Uralkali), and those supply chains being controlled by only a few players.  Price of potash goes up, new projects are identified, large producers make supply available, lower the price and crush the Capex of new projects coming board.  Those smaller projects get sold to the biggest groups and the consolidation of resource continues.  I worked on a First Nations resource project, raising $100 million for development and locking in support of the federal Canadian government.  DESPITE this headstart, these large CAPEX projects can't work in a mafia controlled industry.  Potash is the most vital nutrient moving forward to handle extreme weather conditions with a limited supply.

Conservatives should be pushing the end of these massive component monopolies (potash, utilities) allowing for more competition and greater price flexibility for the consumer/buyer.   Unfortunately for them, ut pushes them out of their comfort zone by promoting carbon and renewables.

@"badgervike" said:
Inflation at its highest in 13 years
Energy at its highest in 7 years
Food at its highest in 10 years

Anybody really think there isn't a problem?

Al,
Is there something in this post that is inaccurate?  Or is it because its happening that you're dismayed by?

Just the "there isn't a problem statement".  Life is tough, things change and at some point in your life you may have to deal with some issues and adapt to changing situations.  What gets to me is passively assigning cause for ideological reasons rather than facts. Across the world folks are having the same issues.  To say it will fix everything by allowing drivers to drive longer or there is too much regulation at the ports is too simple.  A lot of this is on the supply side, or logistical ( shipping containers), or ports not operating 24/7.... One event or issue is not the problem.  There are some great opportunities out there, lot of great job's, the market is going great guns, look at the GDP numbers. 

Quote: @"BigAl99" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"badgervike" said:

Al,
Is there something in this post that is inaccurate?  Or is it because its happening that you're dismayed by?

Just the "there isn't a problem statement".  Life is tough, things change and at some point in your life you may have to deal with some issues and adapt to changing situations.  What gets to me is passively assigning cause for ideological reasons rather than facts. Across the world folks are having the same issues.  To say it will fix everything by allowing drivers to drive longer or there is too much regulation at the ports is too simple.  A lot of this is on the supply side, or logistical ( shipping containers), or ports not operating 24/7.... One event or issue is not the problem.  There are some great opportunities out there, lot of great job's, the market is going great guns, look at the GDP numbers. 

Can't agree any more that markets are complex especially in the global trade conditions we have now.  What I based my DOT/hrs comment off of is that we're facing significant worker shortages and even if you significantly increased pay you couldn't get any meaningful amounts of extra workers/hours into the system for +1/2 a year or so? 

So why not take the path of least resistance and allow drivers to work 5 extra hours a week?
Why not, run on lower regulation in CA for a couple months while we work through the backlog?
Why not find a way to adequately provide workers/hours to the ports themselves until things loosen up a tad?
I don't have answers to any of the above or even know if they'd help in the slightest?  They just seem like the easiest and quickest ways to make an impact.

@"BigAl99" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"badgervike" said:

Al,

Can't agree any more that markets are complex especially in the global trade conditions we have now.  What I based my DOT/hrs comment off of is that we're facing significant worker shortages and even if you significantly increased pay you couldn't get any meaningful amounts of extra workers/hours into the system for +1/2 a year or so? 

So why not take the path of least resistance and allow drivers to work 5 extra hours a week?
Why not, run on lower regulation in CA for a couple months while we work through the backlog?
Why not find a way to adequately provide workers/hours to the ports themselves until things loosen up a tad?
I don't have answers to any of the above or even know if they'd help in the slightest?  They just seem like the easiest and quickest ways to make an impact.
Because you can’t get more out of an orifice than you put in.  Once the pressure is relieved, what do you do with the excess capacity.  Quick answers, in my experience, are not going to provide long term benefits.  Solutions should prevent the same issues from reoccurring, unemployment was last months issue, so we don’t want immigrants to fill jobs, us citizens don’t want,  but yet employ them legally, and call them illegal.  Isn’t that why everyone hates Bezos?
The other thing is, have you ever not seen advertisements for truck drivers, it's not like a real competitive field.  If you want to drive truck you can sure get an opportunity, it's more a matter if you are capable.  Maybe we need more patriots to step up and contribute. 

Quote: @"Skodin" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
time for farmers to start siding on putting a price on carbon, make more money per acre with yield plus carbon through management.  Improved management that also lowers input costs?  Next year with considerably more stored organic carbon in the ground, healthier conditions for crops without needing as many inputs.  I am consulting an organization who is pushing a carbon accounting system in one of the Midwest's key production states, one that has support from 6 leading state GOP members (including the former Sec of Ag of another key midwest production state).

Fertilizer prices are also driven by the fact that the key component is a cartel business, potash.  With 88% of the world's supply being held by Canada and Russia/Belarus (Uralkali), and those supply chains being controlled by only a few players.  Price of potash goes up, new projects are identified, large producers make supply available, lower the price and crush the Capex of new projects coming board.  Those smaller projects get sold to the biggest groups and the consolidation of resource continues.  I worked on a First Nations resource project, raising $100 million for development and locking in support of the federal Canadian government.  DESPITE this headstart, these large CAPEX projects can't work in a mafia controlled industry.  Potash is the most vital nutrient moving forward to handle extreme weather conditions with a limited supply.

Conservatives should be pushing the end of these massive component monopolies (potash, utilities) allowing for more competition and greater price flexibility for the consumer/buyer.   Unfortunately for them, ut pushes them out of their comfort zone by promoting carbon and renewables.
Our Idaho dairy farmers plow their small grain and corn stubble in the fall (adding carbon to the soil).  Composted manure or raw manure + bedding is applied to crop ground spring and fall.  Manure is high in K which greatly reduces the need for potash fertilization.  Where do we sign up for the carbon credits, we're already doing it?  Been doing these practices for decades, not likely to see any change in yield.

Why would you think US conservatives have any sway with cartels in Canada and Russia?  Isn't this something for the Team Blue administration to address?

Quote: @"IDVikingfan" said:
@"Skodin" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:

Our Idaho dairy farmers plow their small grain and corn stubble in the fall (adding carbon to the soil).  Composted manure or raw manure + bedding is applied to crop ground spring and fall.  Manure is high in K which greatly reduces the need for potash fertilization.  Where do we sign up for the carbon credits, we're already doing it?  Been doing these practices for decades, not likely to see any change in yield.

Why would you think US conservatives have any sway with cartels in Canada and Russia?  Isn't this something for the Team Blue administration to address?
CO2 revenue comes from a change in management so thing going full till to conservation or no till.  its all about the baseline and the CO2 sequestered by new management against it.  This creates the crediting value. 

For Idaho, you dont happen to be within 30 miles of Heyburn do you?  Their is a waste play I am working on financing and the expansion can include engagements with waste off takes from the dairies.  

Conservatives in an North American general sense. The party in Canada is pretty similar to the US.  In Canada they should support breaking up the potash cartel, in the US conservatives can support breaking the fossil fuel and utility monopolies.  In Wisconsin, the newest community solar legislation attempts to break up the utiltiies. That legislation is authored by two dark red conservatives.  

If they can get it to pass it gives energy freedom to consumers, promotes over $1 billion in investment, creates jobs and tax revenue.  Yes, the most renewable friendly legislation can (and should be) a conservative lead initiative