Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Vikings take a QB in the first 4 rounds?
I know I was opposed to a QB, but I’ve started to change my mind after some tape review. 

Will Grier is one of the best prospects I’ve reviewed in some time. His accuracy is excellent whether on the move or in the pocket. His delivery is fast. A little quirky at times because of the speed he gets it out. Overall his arm is average, which is to say he has the velocity needed to get the job done but he’s not going to wow you. With that said he has good zip on his short and intermediate throws and as said he gets it on top of his guy quick. He ha solid pocket presence. His negatives are holding the ball too long and trying to force a throw over throwing it out of bounds.

He’s a gamer who I’d strongly consider if he makes it to is in round 2. He is a bit of a project and could use a year or two seasoning but the ingredients are there.

On a side note, I also reviewed Daniel Jones and I have to say I’d take Grier well ahead of him. Jones reminds me of Matt Cassel a bit. 

My take: draft a QB when you are not desperate to take a QB.  If there is a QB that the Vikings really like, draft him.  Even if it's in the 1st round.  If they wait until they have no good options, they are going to reach (Ponder and Bradford).

I've heard that this isn't a great QB class...  That's the same thing said about the 2017 group; those first round QBs all went to the playoffs last year and produced the MVP.

Quote: @silverjoel said:
My take: draft a QB when you are not desperate to take a QB.  If there is a QB that the Vikings really like, draft him.  Even if it's in the 1st round.  If they wait until they have no good options, they are going to reach (Ponder and Bradford).

I've heard that this isn't a great QB class...  That's the same thing said about the 2017 group; those first round QBs all went to the playoffs last year and produced the MVP.
just more evidence that QB is one of the hardest positions to evaluate and pick.  I think that unless KC is saying he is wanting to stay for less on his next deal then we have to be looking this year.  1 year to groom a QB and in the current QBs final season is no way to plan or build for the future.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Sir Viking Bob VWO said:
Trevor Lawrence in 2021.  !!!!!!!!!!!!
Then ya better plan for a 1-15 2020 season.
To be honest, if this teams fails in the 2019 season, I can see Spielman and Zimmer getting fired and the stars on the team traded away for draft picks as we go into rebuild mode. So a 1-15 season wouldn't be so far fetched

1-15 could put us in position for 1st overall pick. We could have our choice of possible franchise QB's for the 1st time ever. That position has just as many failures as successes. 
Our history is more likely we finish somewhere in the middle. Not good enough for the playoffs not bad enough to get a top QB choice. This group (Mike & Rick) has to use all it's high choices on making this season work. So the question is SHOULD they? Then I say yes. Will they? Not very likely.
Win this year then nothing then worry about next. That has to be their mindset. That's mine.