• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The buzz seems to say Teddy
Quote: @Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:
you are comparing a qb in a norv offense in his second year in the league to a qb in a hybrid offense in his 5th (?) year in the league.  its absurd to think that Teddy was anywhere near a finished product or to say that Sam didnt have a better supporting cast (minus the OL) than Teddy.  to try and compare the two situations is absurd as trying to compare what Sam did in 16 to what Case did in 17.   thats what makes all this such a joke as none of us really have any idea of what to expect out of any of the 3.
Until Teddy puts the numbers up that Keenum did this year what your saying is a joke...it's all just speculation.
Teddy could have promise, but are we willing to take a year to find that out. Or maybe his knee doesn't last the season...All unknowns not fact.

edit: And probably every morning while drinking their coffee  Zim,Rick and Flip read these QB topics and about piss their pants laughing.  :p
Wtf are you talking about?  All I said was their situations were so different that they can't be compared.  Has nothing to do with cases numbers this year or any other year.
Teddy would beat Case out for the job and you would have 20+ million stuck into a non producing spot that could better be spent on improving an already weak spot like OG or 3T
And until they have a head to head competition your dismissing teddy based on his performance 2 years ago is just as laughable and you assuming Case would win the job is just as speculative.
If we retain Case why would he lose his job? Case didn't give Teddy a chance this year did he?
If somehow both QBS were retained,  it would definitely be an open competition this offseason.  Case was good but rarely great.  He peaked early in the Tampa game and after that he just didn't do anything consistently wrong,  but he was not what I would want to see handed a position.  ( I wouldn't want any of them handed the job )

Quote: @prairieghost said:
There are going to be some real Debbie Downers around here when the starting QB is picked, some I told you so's, and some like me who will be too confuzzled to know how to feel.
Of this I'm sure--no matter who is picked he will have the weight of the Viking world on his shoulders. 
I have a feeling if they move on from Teddy and or Sam it's a sign his knee isn't as advertised.   Case is case imo,  good enough to stay in the hunt,  but just not talented enough to put us over the top.  And the only way I am pissed if they take cousins is if they break the bank to do it and one of these other guys plays at a high level next year and we get screwed again.  Really I have to trust the guys that get paiD to do this and getting pissed is an exercise in futility since it really changes nothing.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

Totally agree. To this, I would only say that I have no dog in this race. I've said it a hundred times before and I'll say it a hundred times again. I'm not team-Teddy, team-Sam or team-Case, or team-Kirk. I'm team-Vikings. And what I want more than anything else is the Vikings to make their decision with time and carefully deliberation of CONTEXT and supporting cast. And if they do that--and I feel confident that they will--then I will be happy with whom they choose. 

Those who know me know that I've been pounding the supporting-cast drum beat LONG before this season. I've been saying for years that the failure of NFL front offices to adequately factor in supporting cast and context (line, injuries, scheme, continuity) in their evaluation of players is the #1 reason why they continue to make ridiculously bad decisions, especially with QBs, whether it's Randall Cunningtham, Matt Cassel or Jake Delhomme or Nick Foles or Marc Bulger. 

I'm not saying I could do any better. But I want the Vikings to do better. 
And that's the right attitude to have...  yet, I'll guarantee that no matter who the Vikings end up signing, there will be a vocal portion of the fan base that will think we got it wrong.  :-D

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:

Totally agree. To this, I would only say that I have no dog in this race. I've said it a hundred times before and I'll say it a hundred times again. I'm not team-Teddy, team-Sam or team-Case, or team-Kirk. I'm team-Vikings. And what I want more than anything else is the Vikings to make their decision with time and carefully deliberation of CONTEXT and supporting cast. And if they do that--and I feel confident that they will--then I will be happy with whom they choose. 

Those who know me know that I've been pounding the supporting-cast drum beat LONG before this season. I've been saying for years that the failure of NFL front offices to adequately factor in supporting cast and context (line, injuries, scheme, continuity) in their evaluation of players is the #1 reason why they continue to make ridiculously bad decisions, especially with QBs, whether it's Randall Cunningtham, Matt Cassel or Jake Delhomme or Nick Foles or Marc Bulger. 

I'm not saying I could do any better. But I want the Vikings to do better. 
And that's the right attitude to have...  yet, I'll guarantee that no matter who the Vikings end up signing, there will be a vocal portion of the fan base that will think we got it wrong.  :-D

Unlike some other teams, we're trying to decide between 4 pretty good options. That's why I usually say that in the pecking order Case would be my 4th choice, not that I don't want Case.

So yeah, while Case would not be my first choice if I were the one making the decision, I'm just an idiot fan. I don't have access to practice tapes, medical reports, analytics, etc. 

Toward the end of last season, several fans were calling for us to extend Keenum before the season ended. That scared the B'JESUS out of me. That would've been daffy. But if after careful and objective study of all options, the impact of supporting cast, consulting with Flip and Stef, and they choose Case Keenum to be their starter next year, then I'm all in. 

I think the only thing that would really burn me would be committing to Keenum long-term. Yeah, I'd probably be pretty vocal about that. :-)

We're Vikings fans. We're not getting one of the four viable options. We're getting Jim McMahon.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:
you are comparing a qb in a norv offense in his second year in the league to a qb in a hybrid offense in his 5th (?) year in the league.  its absurd to think that Teddy was anywhere near a finished product or to say that Sam didnt have a better supporting cast (minus the OL) than Teddy.  to try and compare the two situations is absurd as trying to compare what Sam did in 16 to what Case did in 17.   thats what makes all this such a joke as none of us really have any idea of what to expect out of any of the 3.
Until Teddy puts the numbers up that Keenum did this year what your saying is a joke...it's all just speculation.
Teddy could have promise, but are we willing to take a year to find that out. Or maybe his knee doesn't last the season...All unknowns not fact.

edit: And probably every morning while drinking their coffee  Zim,Rick and Flip read these QB topics and about piss their pants laughing.  :p
Wtf are you talking about?  All I said was their situations were so different that they can't be compared.  Has nothing to do with cases numbers this year or any other year.
Teddy would beat Case out for the job and you would have 20+ million stuck into a non producing spot that could better be spent on improving an already weak spot like OG or 3T
And until they have a head to head competition your dismissing teddy based on his performance 2 years ago is just as laughable and you assuming Case would win the job is just as speculative.
Well, we could use more recent numbers for Teddy...OH, WAIT.

That's the problem, everything with Teddy beyond his 2015 numbers is pure speculation.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:

If we retain Case why would he lose his job? Case didn't give Teddy a chance this year did he?
If somehow both QBS were retained,  it would definitely be an open competition this offseason.  Case was good but rarely great.  He peaked early in the Tampa game and after that he just didn't do anything consistently wrong,  but he was not what I would want to see handed a position.  ( I wouldn't want any of them handed the job )
A competition between the two would be great. But there's no way Case wins that and he knows it.  That's nothing against Case. He's a gamer; he's not the kind of QB who's going to hold up in a detailed camp comparison of arm, accuracy, field vision. He's earned the right to be a starter. I think he'd just sign elsewhere if he thought there would be a camp competition with Teddy.

Quote: @Zanary said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Norse said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Well, we could use more recent numbers for Teddy...OH, WAIT.

That's the problem, everything with Teddy beyond his 2015 numbers is pure speculation.
Just as trying to say what any qb will do next year...it's all speculation.  Cousins on paper looks like the best choice in terms of production and reliability...but nobody knows how he would play in Minny,  they are just speculating.  It's pretty much all we do this time of year is speculate...all of us...no matter what player or move we are pimping...it's all speculation.

Quote: @Zanary said:
The horse is gonna get beaten into the ground until the QB situation gets addressed.  That will be a nice, big, shiny distraction from this discussion...but inevitably lead to more armchair coaching/managing until preseason at least.

Ah, fandom.

I know! Let's suppose....  Wink

[Image: Brett-Favre-signs-for-Min-001.jpg?w=300&...a841a7f7fa]

Quote: @FSUVike said:
We're Vikings fans. We're not getting one of the four viable options. We're getting Jim McMahon.
Well, I see Jay Cutler is a UFA...