Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BREAKING: Vikings make trade with Houston, add 1st round pick
Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@HappyViking said:

@comet52 said:
I thought Monday's "We're Dying at the Kirk Cousins Funeral Procession" around here was kind of amusing.  Today's "Here Comes the Vikings Draft, Motherfuckers!" parade is even more fun.  =)

Kirk... Cousins... hmm... sounds familiar... who's that again?  B)
Feeling better?

[Image: lqulatvxggau.gif]
Yeah, but who isn't?  All of that Cousins/Kwesi angst was so 3 days ago!

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Curious what the Vikings say in their next presser.

Prediction: "This doesn't necessarily mean we're going to move up for a QB. We're happy with Sam. We had an opportunity to add a 1st rounder and so we made the deal. We feel those two picks give us the flexibility to do any number of things. If the right opportunity presents itself, we could make another move, but we made that deal knowing we would also be happy with the players we could get at 11 and 23." 

Write it down. :-)
If you asked me what I would predict them saying, that's exactly it, and I think it's exactly right and honest.

Obviously, if we can go all the way up to 3, I could see them making a trade before the draft to lock it in.  If we start to get into that territory where the vikings or other teams need to see how the board plays out, then we have the picks ready to move up during the draft.  If the draft board falls wrong and trading up doesn't make sense per their big board, they can just stay pat and draft at 11 and 23 or move around or whatever.

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status/...Qdt3-SesZQ&s=19
I'm starting to believe this. KAM probably stoked the fires at the combine and came away with an idea of knowing what it would take to move up, and then went out and got it. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a deal in place already. IIRC Carolina made their trade with the Bears last year in March.

Quote: @medaille said:
@MaroonBells said:
Curious what the Vikings say in their next presser.

Prediction: "This doesn't necessarily mean we're going to move up for a QB. We're happy with Sam. We had an opportunity to add a 1st rounder and so we made the deal. We feel those two picks give us the flexibility to do any number of things. If the right opportunity presents itself, we could make another move, but we made that deal knowing we would also be happy with the players we could get at 11 and 23." 

Write it down. :-)
If you asked me what I would predict them saying, that's exactly it, and I think it's exactly right and honest.

Obviously, if we can go all the way up to 3, I could see them making a trade before the draft to lock it in.  If we start to get into that territory where the vikings or other teams need to see how the board plays out, then we have the picks ready to move up during the draft.  If the draft board falls wrong and trading up doesn't make sense per their big board, they can just stay pat and draft at 11 and 23 or move around or whatever.
I'm guessing we have a conditional deal in place for three if Maye is there and for four if our guy is gone at three.  We are in an advantaged position at this point.  

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
Welp, it's nice to have options and this helps us with that. Unfortunately for us this now becomes essentially a one player draft if we move up because we don't draft again until pick #108 in the 4th round. 
You don't get something for nothing. And so far anyway, we haven't given up a single future 1st, which was pretty much the assumption going in...
I do certainly like that aspect. It's a good thing we have cap money to spend next season because we've lacked picks, and probably will continue to lack picks, to replenish the roster. 
I think this has been all part of the plan all along. KAM likes signing young FAs with some upside....he'll continue to do that with much more cap space next year. If he pulls off this future QB thing, some people are going to have egg on their face about him. Because the FA period so far for them has been stellar.
And if he blows it, a lot of people will also have egg on their faces. I won't hold my breath, but certainly am hopeful like everyone else. 

As far as free agency goes, calling what we've done "stellar" so far is a stretch. Outside of Jones giving us a little more juice at running back, where are the upgrades? 

He signed two excellent edge rushers and a top notch Linebacker day 1 of free agency. 
I bet most Vikings fans didn't even know who Jonathan Greenard was before we signed him. Be honest. Anybody? I also don't know that any of them are upgrades to the players they were signed to replace. All things being equal I'd take Hunter/Wonnum/Hicks over Greenard/Van Ginkel/Cashman

I have no idea if this move gives them enough ammo to get the guy they want?

Or is it enough ammo to outgun Giants and/or Denver if they start getting aggressive?

It does imo put them at the table though as players. 

The Vikings are the only team that wants to move up with 2 first round picks this year 

[Image: kd50m27tqwc0.gif]

Actually, I would be pissed/disappointed if we packaged two and moved up a few spots.  We're good at 11 and 23.  I feel SOOOO much better sitting there.
My position:  I am not a fan of May or JJ McCarthy.  Jayden Daniels will not drop to 3.  There is some real talent at Penix and Nix that will definitely available at 11, possibly at 23 (but I wouldn't bet past Denver, who IS DEFINITELY going to snarff one of them up).

I will say this...getting that second 1st round pick has ENERGIZED this board.  Very good!

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
Actually, I would be pissed/disappointed if we packaged two and moved up a few spots.  We're good at 11 and 23.  I feel SOOOO much better sitting there.
My position:  I am not a fan of May or JJ McCarthy.  Jayden Daniels will not drop to 3.  There is some real talent at Penix and Nix that will definitely available at 11, possibly at 23 (but I wouldn't bet past Denver, who IS DEFINITELY going to snarff one of them up).

I will say this...getting that second 1st round pick has ENERGIZED this board.  Very good!
Lol. I'm the opposite. I want them to move up. Penix has had some injury issues and Nix is just kind of meh. If they are going all in to get their guy then get after it

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Havoc1649 said:
@supafreak84 said:
@StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
@MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
Welp, it's nice to have options and this helps us with that. Unfortunately for us this now becomes essentially a one player draft if we move up because we don't draft again until pick #108 in the 4th round. 
You don't get something for nothing. And so far anyway, we haven't given up a single future 1st, which was pretty much the assumption going in...
I do certainly like that aspect. It's a good thing we have cap money to spend next season because we've lacked picks, and probably will continue to lack picks, to replenish the roster. 
I think this has been all part of the plan all along. KAM likes signing young FAs with some upside....he'll continue to do that with much more cap space next year. If he pulls off this future QB thing, some people are going to have egg on their face about him. Because the FA period so far for them has been stellar.
And if he blows it, a lot of people will also have egg on their faces. I won't hold my breath, but certainly am hopeful like everyone else. 

As far as free agency goes, calling what we've done "stellar" so far is a stretch. Outside of Jones giving us a little more juice at running back, where are the upgrades? 

He signed two excellent edge rushers and a top notch Linebacker day 1 of free agency. 
I bet most Vikings fans didn't even know who Jonathan Greenard was before we signed him. Be honest. Anybody? I also don't know that any of them are upgrades to the players they were signed to replace. All things being equal I'd take Hunter/Wonnum/Hicks over Greenard/Van Ginkel/Cashman
Well, Wonnum and Hunter are 4-3 DEs, and weren't drafted as Edge/LBs in a 3-4.  I wonder if Flores would prefer a hand picked better fit Edge for his D than the DEs he inherited.  Wonnum was decent, and Hunter is a beast, but I wouldn't ever line either of them up as LBs with pass protection assignments.  The new guys might be able to, however.