Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Poll -- who do you want as defensive coordinator?
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"wiviking" said:
Reading this thread, you'd think we finished 4-13.
13-4 was last year,  last years team,  last years opponents,  last years coaching staff,  last years cap,  last year.   Sure they can likely move some things around and screw future years to try and put the same team on the field,  but why?  this 13-4 team was not a true contender,  and they are more than 1 or 2 players away from getting to that point most likely.  So yea,  some of us arent really buying into the window open philosophy that some of the more homerish fans carry.

IMO the team is ripe for a rebuild,  but it doesnt sound like that is favorable with ownership so we will see,  either way 4-13 is more likely this coming year IMO than 13-4,  so that is probably why this thread has the feel it does for you.
I will be happy with a winning record next year. 9-8, 10-7 would be a very successful season as far as I see it. 

Quote: @"1VikesFan" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"wiviking" said:
13-4 was last year,  last years team,  last years opponents,  last years coaching staff,  last years cap,  last year.   Sure they can likely move some things around and screw future years to try and put the same team on the field,  but why?  this 13-4 team was not a true contender,  and they are more than 1 or 2 players away from getting to that point most likely.  So yea,  some of us arent really buying into the window open philosophy that some of the more homerish fans carry.

IMO the team is ripe for a rebuild,  but it doesnt sound like that is favorable with ownership so we will see,  either way 4-13 is more likely this coming year IMO than 13-4,  so that is probably why this thread has the feel it does for you.
I will be happy with a winning record next year. 9-8, 10-7 would be a very successful season as far as I see it. 
I expect around 8-9 or 9-8 without knowing how the offseason falls.

Quote: @"comet52" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
My thoughts on the job: if a coach is hesitant because of the current roster, I don’t want him anywhere near the team in any capacity. I have no time for these “hot names” who for the most part are a crap shoot anyway. That mindset though, of deciding based on current roster….got no time for that. A good coach will maximize what they have and produce a much improved product than they have been putting out on the field. 
Don't assume that shit about not wanting to come to Minnesota because of it's "lack of talent on defense" is even remotely true. 
Now that he decided to go elsewhere, do you still feel that way? 
Yup.  I don't know why there is a contingent of fans who think the bare cupboard in Minnesota is irrelevant.   When they added Pettine to the interview list it was obvious why--a better than average chance existed that the good candidates would all pass.

Given a choice of going to team A with good personnel and team B with crap (aka, the Vikings) guys are likely to pick team A, because coaches succeed with good players despite some fans thinking the real value lies in "relishing the challenge", which is basically nonsense.   
There seems to be a certain number of fans who year in and year out see the Vikings as loaded with talent. 
It seems obvious that the Vikings defense needs an infusion of talent; especially when watching the defenses of the final 4 NFL teams in comparison. 

Some think it is the scheme. But the defense has had two markedly different schemes the past two years with different coaches. The common denominator being many of the same players.

My fear in hiring Pettine is a third straight year of embarrassing defense. 

My hope is for a new DC that is an innovator who can take what little upgrade of talent is available and bring the defense back to average. That would put them on track to be competitive sooner.

Quote: @"wiviking" said:
Yeah, its always interesting here. Either too positive or too negative. Arms folded predicting doom or the team is actually 'really talented'. But they did win 13 games last year, lol. The NFCN is there for the taking. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"wiviking" said:
Yeah, its always interesting here. Either too positive or too negative. Arms folded predicting doom or the team is actually 'really talented'. But they did win 13 games last year, lol. The NFCN is there for the taking. 
Before last season, most on here were predicting 8 wins or less. I wouldnt be surprised to see Billy Murray showing up in Eagan in a news van to shoot a sequel.