Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why would anyone doubt
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Wait...are we supposed to be surprised, shocked, horrified that companies who researched, developed and distributed vaccines for a once-in-a-century global pandemic made a lot of money?

Or is this just more tinfoil stuff? 
Once in a century pandemic???  HAHAHAHAHA!!!

People do stupid stuff...whether it be driving recklessly or drunk, adrenaline junkies, living in the CHOP district..lol.  etc.  They accept their potential consequences on behalf of themselves and their loved ones.  It's a shame...but it's their choice.

I don't think you're an asshole...just the worry seemed a little disingenuous....if I was wrong I apologize.  It just seemed it was more about making a broader point and not concern about this person or his family.  He was stupid and wrong...and suffered the consequences...happens every day.  

Not sure where you're going with the compassion part?  Like you, I also regularly help out those in need with both my $$ and time.  I've volunteered at homeless shelters for 30 years both here in Madison as well as Chicago and have done volunteer disaster recovery for the Red Cross for 35 years including both Katrina and Haiti.  

I didn't post the article...it was posted to deliberately mock this poor soul for making a deadly decision.....just seems a little shameful to me to pile on. 

Quote: @Chuckf said:
@MaroonBells said:
Wait...are we supposed to be surprised, shocked, horrified that companies who researched, developed and distributed vaccines for a once-in-a-century global pandemic made a lot of money?

Or is this just more tinfoil stuff? 
Once in a century pandemic???  HAHAHAHAHA!!!
???

Quote: @badgervike said:
People do stupid stuff...whether it be driving recklessly or drunk, adrenaline junkies, living in the CHOP district..lol.  etc.  They accept their potential consequences on behalf on themselves and their loved ones.  It's a shame...but it's their choice.

I don't think you're an asshole...just the worry seemed a little disingenuous....if I was wrong I apologize.  It just seemed it was more about making a broader point and not concern about this person or his family.  He was stupid and wrong...and suffered the consequences...happens every day.  

Not sure where you're going with the compassion part?  Like you, I also regularly help out those in need with both my $$ and time.  I've volunteered at homeless shelters for 30 years both here in Madison as well as Chicago and have done volunteer disaster recovery for the Red Cross for 35 years including both Katrina and Haiti.  

I didn't post the article...is was posted to deliberately to call this poor soul out for making a deadly decision.....just seems a little shameful to me to pile on. 
Got it. The compassion part was in response to you suggesting I donate. I was responding in kind. But I'm glad to hear that you give money and time. Time, in particular, can be one of the best ways of stepping outside of ourselves. It doesn't always work, but I do appreciate anyone's efforts.

As for the guy in the article, there is no doubt that I have a bit of an edge when it comes to someone who was actively posting anti-vaccine and anti-mask messages - and then dies of Covid. He was uplifting a mask-burning event. I would also look sideways at someone who on Tuesday is saying that there's nothing wrong with having some drinks and getting behind the wheel and then dies on Thursday from drunk driving into a pole while also taking out another driver. 

I make mistakes and do stupid stuff. We all do. I really hope people learn something from his. And it sucks that it has to be his son who suffers.

Regarding regrets and choices, I read this yesterday. To me, it connects Smile 

Looking Back On My Life, I Guess My Biggest Regret Is Trying To Fight That Alligator 5 Minutes Ago (theonion.com)
As I reach the end of my life, it’s hard for me not to look back on all the years that have passed and think of what might have been. Frankly, there are a lot of things I wish I had done differently. But when I consider all the paths my life has taken and those that it hasn’t, I would have to say that my greatest regret is probably trying to fight that alligator five minutes ago.
I’ve made my share of mistakes throughout my life, but scaling that concrete barrier in order to wrestle the largest alligator in the enclosure is probably the one I’d most like to take back.
I’ll be the first to admit that I’ve done things in my life that I’m not proud of. Over the years, I lost touch with some of my best friends; I allowed myself to become overly obsessed with money and professional success; I decided to run up to a 14-foot-long alligator and swat it right across its snout. If I had been a better, less impulsive man, maybe things would have turned out differently for me, and I would be a prominent architect now, like I always wanted, instead of some regular old joe who’s being repeatedly bitten by an enraged alligator.

More at link above

Quote: @badgervike said:
@Nichelle said:
@BigAl99 said:
My first nomination for Darwin Patriot of the day. H. Scott Apley, thoughts, prayer and contributions to his families GoFundMe page.
https://www.ibtimes.sg/who-h-scott-apley...d-19-59360

Death, what a noble choice. And it really was a choice.
But it was his choice and the consequences were his.  I know you want to make this about left vs right...but it's really about vaxxers and anti-vaxxers.  As I pointed out above, the math doesn't work on these so called surveys of those that have/will be vaccinated and party affiliation.  I have all my employees vaccinated (both Domestic and International) and my family is all vaccinated.  My last holdout on the vaccinations at my company was an anti-vax, gay, vegan....I didn't ask specifically about political affiliation...but given Madison is about 80% liberal, I think it's safe to assume....

I know part of the issue for the Right is the Left has little credibility in terms of "science".  One of the basic tenets of the Democrats is support of abortion rights "without exception" including 3rd trimester abortion right up to birth.  We could have a reasonable discussion about when life begins..but certainly the day before birth isn't debatable...it's about killing babies...just a matter of location.

The Climate change debate is where the Left completely lost credibility.  Climate change is "settled science" right?  We have the "I believe in science" and "Climate change is SETTLED science" signs all over this town (Madison).  Dissenters need to be silenced, conflicting opinions need to be argued by rapid response teams...and there's even talk about deniers being charged.  As a scientist, I will tell you that no science is ever settled.  The Scientific Method, the basic foundation for all scientific discovery, expressly forbids it.  Science is based on what we know today..and needs to be forever challenged to ensure scientific advancement.  From the Oxford Dictionary:

[*]sci·en·tif·ic meth·od
    /ˈˌsīənˈtifik ˈmeTHəd/