Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Economics...
Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@badgervike said:
Thumbs down Al?  Didn't you tell us this would all be behind us by now?  Yet...it just keeps getting worse.

Let's go Brandon!

No, I said it was short term, what is your investing strategy and horizon,  static markets with guaranteed returns.  The markets Up So what exactly in Biden's enacted  fiscal policy has caused this economic response?  If it turns around in six month's,  or I am still am getting 7 to 12% returns should I continue to believe as I do, or should I vote for a fascist?

Cheering for Brandon Brown, at best a sixth place finisher?  Politics, investment strategies and NASCAR drivers, you have a streak going, I guess.  Not sure how much I would brag about it in public, stick to the anonymity of a loosing teams football board to promote your ideologies.  That's the script correct?

You said in June that oil prices were a result of supply disruption from the Suez issue: "suspect once supply chains are delivering back on schedule, unless cold weather, cyber attacks and bad weather around the Suez canal don’t happen again we should be good with oil, ain’t it funny how none of those things had anything to do with fiscal policy?"  Our predictions of doom and gloom were unfounded.  Guess what?  It just keeps getting worse primarily because of policy decisions by this Administration.  During the Trump years, the US was the largest producer of oil and could control the market.  Oil output in the US will be down approximately 20% this year due to hostile policy by the Admin (cancelling oil leases, pipelines, etc) so now OPEC has the chance to drive the market again...and get more for their reserves.  Same thing happened under Carter.  And since energy permeates every other sector...expect higher prices and inflation to continue.

I'm a Libertarian so hardly a blind party advocate like yourself.  The reality is that I've voted for way more Democrats in my day than Republicans.  Trump was a buffoon but I agreed with many of his policies.  I didn't vote for him the first time (voted Libertarian)...but did the second.  If there's anyone that made Trump look like a statesman...it's crazy Joe.  He wasn't all that stable even before the dementia.  I would have liked to see someone like Tulsi Gabbards instead but the fix was in.

The supply chain is killing us right now...both with freight and covid restrictions.  Do you HONESTLY think Trump wouldn't have addressed it by now....lift freight restrictions at the border, declare an emergency at the ports...and get freight moved.  It won't solve all the issues...but it's a start.  Yes...I know that Biden started to address it this week...but the reality is that Team Biden is too beholden to the Unions and Covid mafia to make significant short term moves.

Quote: @badgervike said:
@BigAl99 said:
@badgervike said:
Thumbs down Al?  Didn't you tell us this would all be behind us by now?  Yet...it just keeps getting worse.

Let's go Brandon!

No, I said it was short term, what is your investing strategy and horizon,  static markets with guaranteed returns.  The markets Up So what exactly in Biden's enacted  fiscal policy has caused this economic response?  If it turns around in six month's,  or I am still am getting 7 to 12% returns should I continue to believe as I do, or should I vote for a fascist?

Cheering for Brandon Brown, at best a sixth place finisher?  Politics, investment strategies and NASCAR drivers, you have a streak going, I guess.  Not sure how much I would brag about it in public, stick to the anonymity of a loosing teams football board to promote your ideologies.  That's the script correct?

You said in June that oil prices were a result of supply disruption from the Suez issue: "suspect once supply chains are delivering back on schedule, unless cold weather, cyber attacks and bad weather around the Suez canal don’t happen again we should be good with oil, ain’t it funny how none of those things had anything to do with fiscal policy?"  Our predictions of doom and gloom were unfounded.  Guess what?  It just keeps getting worse primarily because of policy decisions by this Administration.  During the Trump years, the US was the largest producer of oil and could control the market.  Oil output in the US will be down approximately 20% this year due to hostile policy by the Admin (cancelling oil leases, pipelines, etc) so now OPEC has the chance to drive the market again...and get more for their reserves.  Same thing happened under Carter.  And since energy permeates every other sector...expect higher prices and inflation to continue.

I'm a Libertarian so hardly a blind party advocate like yourself.  The reality is that I've voted for way more Democrats in my day than Republicans.  Trump was a buffoon but I agreed with many of his policies.  I didn't vote for him the first time (voted Libertarian)...but did the second.  If there's anyone that made Trump look like a statesman...it's crazy Joe.  He wasn't all that stable even before the dementia.  I would have liked to see someone like Tulsi Gabbards instead but the fix was in.

The supply chain is killing us right now...both with freight and covid restrictions.  Do you HONESTLY think Trump wouldn't have addressed it by now....lift freight restrictions at the border, declare an emergency at the ports...and get freight moved.  It won't solve all the issues...but it's a start.  Yes...I know that Biden started to address it this week...but the reality is that Team Biden is too beholden to the Unions and Covid mafia to make significant short term moves.

The only way to fix the supply chain problems is to temporarily increase some of the DOT hourly restrictions on drivers and operators.  Add an extra hr a day or 5-10 a week would go a long way to help put money in people's pockets that need it and lighten the load at the docks. 

The problem with increased hours is if a driver kills someone it will be blamed on the .gov so I doubt we'll see common sense changes take place.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@badgervike said:
@BigAl99 said:
@badgervike said:

Let's go Brandon!

The only way to fix the supply chain problems is to temporarily increase some of the DOT hourly restrictions on drivers and operators.  Add an extra hr a day or 5-10 a week would go a long way to help put money in people's pockets that need it and lighten the load at the docks. 

The problem with increased hours is if a driver kills someone it will be blamed on the .gov so I doubt we'll see common sense changes take place.
If you declare an emergency, you could bring the National Guard in to assist in offload and move cargo to inland destinations or rail heads.  Offload smaller ships at Military Ocean Terminal Concord.
https://www.sddc.army.mil/596th/Pages/MOTCO.aspx

Military drivers get a CDL waiver.  Taking work away from Union workers isn't going to happen in Bidenland.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@badgervike said:
@BigAl99 said:
@badgervike said:

Let's go Brandon!

California regulations are a huge part of the problem.  California is the future of our country if we keep going in this direction.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@AGRforever said:
@badgervike said:
@BigAl99 said:
@badgervike said:

Let's go Brandon!

California regulations are a huge part of the problem.  California is the future of our country if we keep going in this direction.  
WINNER!!!

California's clean air standards,  as well as other regulations on the trucking industry are why there is such a back up,  dumb as hell,  the bottle neck is getting wheels under the containers,  what the hell good is it going to do to run the port 24hrs a day if there is not place to put the containers?   maybe a federal mandate over riding some of the issues that keeps many truck owners/operators from going into CA and picking up loads.

This is about as stupid as those governors that are talking about calling up the NG medical units to help fill shifts at hospitals and nursing homes when they cant get the regular nurses and doctors to take the shots so they dont allow them to work... where the hell are these NG medial professionals coming from?   they will just be taking doctors and nurses from their regular jobs at other hospitals and nursing homes and putting them in another facility... dumb.    as far as using the NG units to move freight... screw that,  get rid of the restrictions that are causing the private sector from doing it themselves.

States and the feds are too quick to call up the guard units for stupid shit,  these are regular people that have regular jobs and lives that are built around those regular jobs,  and when they get called up their lives are disrupted and often times they are going backwards on income which screws their ability to pay their mortgages and other payments.  the guard has a role,  lets not be looking for more ways to expand that role... already done to often for shit that shouldnt be on their slate.

It's funny that you make it to be a unique US problem, it's not, it's global.  I have been in Germany the past two months and it's the same issues all over the world.  It's a bit myopic and very naive, but mostly self serving to say political issues in the US are driving all this .  But that is what you do, so have at it.   These past couple of months have been very productive for me and have I had some interesting insight into manufacturing issues and feeding new supply chain models.  It's a great time and there are a lot of opportunities, if you keep you eyes and mind open.  Things are going to be changing and I guarantee they won't be looking the same as they did any time in the past, "again" ain't going to happen in any good way.
As far as US domestic shipping issues, at least listen to what this guy has to say.https://news.yahoo.com/eventually-impact-safety-security-country-195643993.html
Here is the data on US crude oil production, doesn't appear to be tracking the price increases.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-stat...production

Here we are paying 1.7 Euro per Liter, that's $7.52 a gallon.  You should be more appreciative of that subsidized fuel your putting in you pickups. 

For grins and giggles take a look at our GDP, someone is making some serious bank, but apparently not victims.
https://tradingeconomics.com/united-stat...wth-annual

As always, there are several lenses to the complexity of economic health...I read this earlier today, but struggle to see how this will help avg Joe/Jane? I also think we are in for increased inflation as economies around the world still struggle to come out of the Pandemic.

Stocks soar as America's biggest banks are booming
Several of America's largest financial firms reported strong earnings and revenue Thursday thanks to solid demand for loans, better credit quality and a boom in mergers and initial public offerings.

Morgan Stanley (MS), Citigroup (C), Bank of America (BAC) and even troubled Wells Fargo (WFC) posted healthy results that surpassed analysts' expectations. 

Shares of BofA rose nearly 4% in midday trading while Morgan Stanley was up about 2%. Citi's stock was flat and Wells Fargo fell more than 1%. But the broader market enjoyed an earnings rally. The Dow rose more than 525 points, or 1.5%. The somewhat muted reaction from some bank investors might be due to the fact that their good news was already priced into the shares. Bank stocks have already surged this year on hopes of an economic rebound and rising long-term bond yields, which help to boost lending profits. 
Strong results from insurer UnitedHealth (UNH), drugstore giant Walgreens (WBA)and Taiwan Semiconductor (TSM) also lifted sentiment. The S&P 500 and Nasdaqwere each up about 1.7%. Investors also cheered the continued drop in jobless claims filings, which fell to a new Covid-era low of 293,000.
Top banking executives sounded upbeat about the future, too.
"The recovery from the pandemic continues to drive corporate and consumer confidence," said Citi CEO Jane Fraser, who took over the top spot in the bank in March, in a press release.
Leaders from other big banks were similarly bullish. 
"Asset quality remained strong, with loss rates approaching 50-year lows, enabling the release of loan loss reserves again this quarter," said Bank of America chief financial officer Paul Donofrio in the earnings release.

Banks prepared for a worst case scenario that never materialized
Major banks set aside billions of dollars last year to prepare for the possibility that consumer and business loans could sour in the midst of the pandemic-driven recession. But that didn't happen. Credit quality has remained strong, and, as a result, banks are now seeing a boost to profits. 
Top Wall Street firms are also benefiting from the breakneck pace of dealmaking in Corporate America. Companies have gotten the urge to merge and many top unicorn startups have gone public this year. That's fueled a surge in investment banking fees.
Morgan Stanley reported a 67% increase in investment banking revenue, numbers that CEO James Gorman dubbed a "standout performance" in the earnings release. Morgan Stanley also got a boost from acquisitions of online broker E-Trade and asset manager Eaton Vance.
The good news for big banks comes one day after JPMorgan Chase (JPM) CEO Jamie Dimon gave an upbeat outlook about the US economy after the bank also reported earnings that topped forecasts.

Goldman Sachs (GS) wraps up the parade of bank earnings Friday morning. It is also expected to report strong results, thanks in large part to the robust M&A and IPO environment. Shares of Goldman Sachs have surged 45% this year, making it the top performer in the Dow.

its great that wall street is happy,  but what about the working class that cant afford to fill their vehicles?  or the farmers and ranchers that are seeing inputs go through the roof once again?  ( did you know that fertilizer is made with natural gas and with that shit exploding in price fertilizer for ag crops is following suite)  food costs,  as well as all other goods are seeing price jumps and while yes,  those with healthy pensions or retirement portfolios are happy,  there is a large segment of this countrys population that is feeling a pinch that is only going to continue to get worse... and then of course there will be a call for more govt handouts to assist those that are having a hard time making ends meet,  and the cycle continues.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
It's funny that you make it to be a unique US problem, it's not, it's global.  I have been in Germany the past two months and it's the same issues all over the world.  It's a bit myopic and very naive, but mostly self serving to say political issues in the US are driving all this .  But that is what you do, so have at it.   These past couple of months have been very productive for me and have I had some interesting insight into manufacturing issues and feeding new supply chain models.  It's a great time and there are a lot of opportunities, if you keep you eyes and mind open.  Things are going to be changing and I guarantee they won't be looking the same as they did any time in the past, "again" ain't going to happen in any good way.
As far as US domestic shipping issues, at least listen to what this guy has to say.https://news.yahoo.com/eventually-impact-safety-security-country-195643993.html
Here is the data on US crude oil production, doesn't appear to be tracking the price increases.

Here we are paying 1.7 Euro per Liter, that's $7.52 a gallon.  You should be more appreciative of that subsidized fuel your putting in you pickups. 

For grins and giggles take a look at our GDP, someone is making some serious bank, but apparently not victims.

I don't see rising oil prices as a US problem only but certainly a 20% decline in production from the largest producer(US) and a fear of future US oil infrastructure investment is a heavy contributor...who wants to speculate on future oil in the US given the Admin's hostility...how did that work out for Keystone?  OPEC uses uncertainty in the global production market to raise prices.  China's demand for crude continues to grow.  They buy virtually everything they can.  I always have to laugh when we try to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels...the fuel/coal in turn gets sold to Countries which will burn it less efficiently.  Yep...that will save the planet...lol

I've also spent a large part of my life traveling abroad so I'm well aware of the heavily taxed European fuel prices.  That model is certainly fairer in that the burden of infrastructure is paid by those that use it.  It certainly forces the lower earners to utilize mass transit as they can't afford the fuel.  It's also certainly a way less progressive way of paying for infrastructure.  In the US, infrastructure is paid to a lesser degree in gas tax and to a greater degree out of the General State and Federal coffers.  Since the top 10% earners pay 71% of the taxes...that means they pay a disproportionate amount for the roads as well.  Not sure changing to a consumption model is what you really want.

Quote: @badgervike said:
@BigAl99 said:

I don't see rising oil prices as a US problem only but certainly a 20% decline in production from the largest producer(US) and a fear of future US oil infrastructure investment is a heavy contributor...who wants to speculate on future oil in the US given the Admin's hostility...how did that work out for Keystone?  OPEC uses uncertainty in the global production market to raise prices.  China's demand for crude continues to grow.  They buy virtually everything they can.  I always have to laugh when we try to reduce our dependence on fossil fuels...the fuel/coal in turn gets sold to Countries which will burn it less efficiently.  Yep...that will save the planet...lol

I've also spent a large part of my life traveling abroad so I'm well aware of the heavily taxed European fuel prices.  That model is certainly fairer in that the burden of infrastructure is paid by those that use it.  It certainly forces the lower earners to utilize mass transit as they can't afford the fuel.  It's also certainly a way less progressive way of paying for infrastructure.  In the US, infrastructure is paid to a lesser degree in gas tax and to a greater degree out of the General State and Federal coffers.  Since the top 10% earners pay 71% of the taxes...that means they pay a disproportionate amount for the roads as well.  Not sure changing to a consumption model is what you really want.

There are a number of theories why the big oil Exon and Chevron aren't increasing production, one factor, I find to be reasonable, is to protect investor dividends.  With fracking the economics of oil drilling has changed, fracking has a quick production drop off, and quite a few investors have been left holding debt after wells have gone dry.
For a scientist you sure seem to assign ideological explanations as proof of cause.  I keep asking and you never respond, what is your discipline?  It's not associated with natural science or economics, your eliminating fields one by one. 

Disagree with your assertion that that lower earners only use public transportation,  as you are probably aware, the layouts of the Cities were not planned around the the use of automobiles, and the efficiency of the public transport is utilized by most.  The ICE, Intercity Express, is certainly pleasurable, 150 MPH, drinking a beer in a smooth riding club car is much nicer than the flight.  If you have a a BahnCard it's under $40 us, cheaper than a flight between BER to FRA and you don't have to deal with airports.