Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Every Teddy long pass from 2015
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"TBro" said:
For all of the Teddy lovers on this site, PA and Charchian discussed Charch's deep dive into the video on KFAN this morning. His assessment of Teddy's overall mechanics, decision making, arm strength, etc. were not favorable at all. I think several of us are guilty of romanticizing Teddy's game and what he's been through. It was interesting to hear him talk about re-familiarizing himself with his skills and deficiencies since it's been 2 years since he's had any meaningful playing time. When comparing Teddy to Bradford, Keenum, or Cousins, he put him last against every one of them. He likes Teddy, but not as a starter. It's definitely worth a listen on the Podcast. 
That's hardly fair. As @NodakViking mentioned above, this is a video that is an attempt to dispel the notion that Teddy is a poor deep ball thrower. 

He brings in PFF to support his point: "Is Bridgewater a bad deep passer? Pro Football Focus doesn’t seem to think so: they graded Bridgewater as above average in 2015 on passes more than 20 yards downfield. The Deep Ball Project, which reviews and grades every deep pass from every quarterback, doesn’t seem to think so either: they gave Bridgewater a “B” grade based on his 2015 deep ball tape and noted that his deep ball accuracy was 52.6% (ranking 12th of 33 overall)."

What's nuts is that we have folks watching the video that shows ONLY those passes that Teddy is supposed to struggle with and using it to analyze him as an overall QB. That would be like me posting a video of only the kind of passes Case struggles with and making a judgement based on only that.

I wouldn't do that because it would be ridiculous. 
MB,

He wasn't just focusing on the deep balls, he was looking at his foot work, arm strength, and overall mechanics. In his opinion, he feels there is enough deficiencies in his game that he is behind a healthy Bradford(which we still have no idea if his knee issue is healed), Keenum, and Cousins. I didn't watch the film but that is his take. Honestly, there is so much for and against all 4 of these guys that my head is spinning. I like that we have DeFilippo  on the staff to help make that decision since none of us really know where Teddy and Bradford are at physically. 

As far as Teddy goes, is he a better QB now than he was in 2015? All the stuff Charch mentioned on PA's show today is true of the 2015 Teddy. Happy feet, poor arm mechanics, lack of arm strength allowing defenders to close and contest catches, locking in on one receiver, poor field vision, etc. He needs to be better than that if we are going to win a Super Bowl with him. I just don't know how he would have been able to improve his game when he hasn't played in any real games for 2 years. 

As an update, the guy who made this did one for his 2016 preseason games:

from r/minnesotavikings

Quote: @"Norse" said:
@"IDVikingfan" said:
@"Norse" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Norse" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
@"Norse" said:
@"Wetlander" said:
What I find funny is that Teddy gets ripped for his arm strength and inconsistent deep ball...  yet Case has a weaker arm and arguably had much better WRs to come down with contested catches downfield...  and one gets a free pass and the other doesn't.
Teddy and Case both had these recievers.
Diggs
Thielen
wright
Rudy 
Case helped our receivers to get good numbers...Teddy couldn't achieve that.

Wright had better numbers with Teddy than Case...  Diggs was a rookie that only started 13 games...  Thielen was a special teams player...  and Rudy caught a couple more TDs with Case but had basically the same amount of targets, receptions, and yards.

I guess I'm having a hard time seeing how the two situations are even remotely similar.
Both QB's had basically the same recievers. Except Teddy had Wallace who left and had a 1000 yard season with his next team.

Is that a joke? Look, there are good points to made on both sides of this debate. This isn't one of them.  
Why would it be a joke both QB's having almost the same recievers?
Do you really think the ST player Adam Theilen in 2015 equals the All Pro receiver in 2017?  Hardly.
Do you really think Diggs has made zero improvement since his rookie year?  You have to agree with no improvement if you say they are the "same".  You're 0 for 2 with your arguement.
I could tell you the receiving yards. But maybe you should check them yourself. 
You would have a better understanding of our recievers.
So AT as a ST player had 12 catches for 144 yards in 2015 and 91 catches for 1276 yards in 2017.  He went from a non-factor in the offense due to coaching decision in 2015 to a very good player in 2016 with 10 starts and developed into an all-pro in 2017 with 16 starts.  AT was clearly not the same receiver in 2015.

Diggs in his rookie year had 52 receptions for 720 yards in 2015 and 64 receptions for 849 yards in 2017.  Stefon played one more game in 2017 and had more receptions and total yardage in 2017.  To me, this is partially an indication of development and a reflection of the more wide open offense in 2017.  In my mind, he is a much better player today and likely would take offense if someone claimed no development in his game.

You're still 0 for 2.

Quote: @"IDVikingfan" said:
So AT as a ST player had 12 catches for 144 yards in 2015 and 91 catches for 1276 yards in 2017.  He went from a non-factor in the offense due to coaching decision in 2015 to a very good player in 2016 with 10 starts and developed into an all-pro in 2017 with 16 starts.  AT was clearly not the same receiver in 2015.

Diggs in his rookie year had 52 receptions for 720 yards in 2015 and 64 receptions for 849 yards in 2017.  Stefon played one more game in 2017 and had more receptions and total yardage in 2017.  To me, this is partially an indication of development and a reflection of the more wide open offense in 2017.  In my mind, he is a much better player today and likely would take offense if someone claimed no development in his game.

You're still 0 for 2.
Diggs has been pretty consistent through out his career.
AT didn't get that many throws in 2015. But his production increase is pretty impressive 2016.
Thanks for the reply back.

Quote: @"medaille" said:

from r/minnesotavikings
That was the game so many of us were salivating about.  Third year in the league, threw some dimes that day.  That was the 3rd preseason game.  The deep out to Diggs was crazy perfect.

AT got something like 21% of he snaps, many in special situations. 

Nobody is claiming TB IS the answer, most are contentding it's foolish to kick him to the curb at this point in his development until they see him play again.  That said only the team knows where he is at health wise and what he showed in practice.  Did he look to be where he was in 2016 preseason, is his medical prognosis good as far as further risk of injury or being significantly hindered in his mobility?

It seem some just want to be done with him and only focus on any negatives they can.  He is 25, same age as Wentz and only 9 months older than Sloter.  If the price is realistic and he checks out in practice and the medical it's foolish to move on without seeing more.  In my opinion we need 2 QB's why wouldn't one of them be Bridgewater?  The question should be who is the other QB, barring a blockbuster deal for Cousins.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Poiple" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Poiple" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"Ilovebigtd's" said:
dear lord the comments here about teddy are funny. its hard repeating the same bs to these guys. like talking to a wall. 
Are you here just to bag on those who view Teddy as possibly not the answer? We know, you are pro-Teddy....that's cool. I think we are all pro-Teddy the person, he's a great young man. Its Teddy the player with the questions marks about that leg that draws debate and rightly so. 

The answer isn't clear cut, no matter who you might favor for QB. 
I am strongly in Teddy's corner as well,  but I have to agree with this statement and have said so many times.   They all have question marks and likely none more so than Teddy,  but when comparing expected costs, age, stage of development, and about every other factor that I can come up with... Teddy in purple next year competing for the starting job makes the most sense to me... we all need to keep an open mind on this,  but we need to keep our eyes open as well.  some of the arguments are bordering on the ridiculous both for and against every QB in play. 
I think we all love Teddy.  Perhaps in a little bit healthier way than some others....    

There is little doubt Teddy has the biggest upside but he also has the most to prove. Sam is a former #1 pick with a legendary arm who did some good things while wearing purple.  Case had a heck of year last year and Teddy shows a lot of promise.  But promise isnt the same as having actually done it.

We all got some chicken skin when the crowd roared when Teddy took the field.  Although most of us dont cling to that moment in the wee hours of the night.
ok troll.   making comments about peoples sexuality great way to engage in adult conversation.  
I probably should have only selected the OP as the comment was primarily for his benefit.  But if it touches a nerve?.......
cute.. say speaking of touching... werent you a career navy guy?
yes, submarines.  you know what they say...

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"medaille" said:

https://gfycat.com/MinorCluelessEchidna

https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotaviking...ball_deep/
That was the game so many of us were salivating about.  Third year in the league, threw some dimes that day.  That was the 3rd preseason game.  The deep out to Diggs was crazy perfect.
i watched that and thought this guy has finally hit his stride.  He is going to be something special.

We all wish that things hadn’t turned bad for him when it did.  who knows what would have happened over the next few year with hi, Diggs and Theilen maturing together.  It would have been interesting.  Instead we have this hot mess.