Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ESPN: 'Vikings cannot let Keenum walk after this season'
That height of arrogance statement is intended to provoke people. It worked. Case has earned a contract, the only question is the amount. Kay Adams is right. She knows her football. I get the point about the formula for that show but it's a target market. Some people credit the OL and the offensive weapons. And of course they should get credit but so should Keenum. He is the one under center. He extends plays. And even with a bonehead play, he comes back and redeems himself. He keeps working to do better.

Teddy has handled this entire situation with such class. He has shown tremendous strength of character. Watching him on the sidelines was interesting. It has to be such a strange place to be. He was happy with the play and his team but of course he wants a shot. So does Sam. And he has handled the situation well also. He has worked hard as well. We have 3 high character guys that are great teammates. It's a good problem to have. Priority number one is gauging the contract for Case and to go from there.

Case has 2.5 years of starting time.  For what he has done, I'm buying.  

I was enamored by Teddy B. and really was pulling for him mid season to come back and prove his worth, but Case never broke and he has had plenty of opportunity to.  The guy is a gamer and I haven't felt this solid about our O putting up a valiant fight and keeping us in games.  The Carolina game did it for me and Case has proven over and over again that he will put us in position to win.  He does get a little loose with big leads, but he frankly is lacking experience...I see this being a fix in time.

The OC does have impact on the QB, but not to the extent it would need to be a Shurmur / Keenum package.  I'd give him a 3 yr. 45 - 50m deal and see if Bradford or Bridge or ok with being a backup...If not they walk and we get a journeyman to take over that role and groom Sloter.  If we get to the SB and win it, he obviously gets a better deal.  

Case is 13-3!!! What is going to change drastically in the next few years that makes you think he can't do that again?  I don't see it, if anything we will get better and I guarantee Zim will make sure to grab an OC that has a similar philosophy / framework.

I'm sold

Im getting tired of people saying Sam is more talented than Case.  Arm talent?  yes.   But the ability to scramble and throw accurately on the run is a talent also.  We respect it in Brees and Rodgers but not with Keenum?  

Talk about Fickle Fandom.  

Even if Sam and Teddy were healthy all year its not a forgone conclusion that we would still be here in this position.  If you cant see Case’s abilities and value then you are missing the bigger picture.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
Like I've said several times, only on this board are there the Keenum naysayers: the rest of Viking fandom has a major crush otherwise. The debating of him while the Vikings ride into the NFCC game in spectacular fashion of which his play was a major part is interesting by some to say the least. 
That is the furthest thing from the truth. I don't think the majority here are firmly against resigning Case. But anyone rationale isn't going to suggest bending over and writing the guy a blank check for his performance this season. If the league thought Case was a star in the wings he would have gotten more than a single year contract for $2M (the Vikings probably learned from this). Players can develop rapidly, but there is still risk in resigning Case without Shurmur. The point is that you need to balance that risk and price point with the risks of the other QB's on your roster. Sam is the most talented but can't stay healthy, Teddy is a complete unknown. But that is where the door also opens for external options and developmental draft picks as well. 
It isn't. Who's writing him a blank check? But there is a going rate for that kind of season and performance and it won't be cheap. Its total fan-think to say sign him to a 'mid-range' contract with incentives...hilarious. He and his agent are going to strike while the iron is hot. Timing is everything. He won't break the bank but he won't come on the cheap, either. Aptly so. How can the organization commit to Bradford with that problematic knee? And Teddy is an unknown, like you mention. I wish the team could commit to Sam, but I don't see how. But he's the most talented. 

Viking Nation will lose their shit if they walk from Keenum, guaranteed. The team likes a lot about his game. He's proven he can take a team to the NFCC game. I think the 'too close to the forest to see the trees' crowd this is lost on.

The point here is that regardless of Keenum's performance this season there is risk. There is when you resign any QB. But to view him as the QB of the future is premature. He played well this season. There is no guarantee he is going to play well next season. Just like there was no guarantee he would be anything more than a backup this season. 

Should the Vikings let him walk? No. But you don't sign him to a multi year extension since that plays into Case and his agents hands. You use the franchise tag. 

Quote: @Ilovebigtd's said:
i have a bad feeling that making case the starter next year will bite us in the ass. yeah were winning i just cant see this success carry over next year. we’ve been getting extremely lucky
I was the first to use the phrase horse shoe up his ass,  but sometimes you make your own luck.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Ilovebigtd's said:
i have a bad feeling that making case the starter next year will bite us in the ass. yeah were winning i just cant see this success carry over next year. we’ve been getting extremely lucky
I was the first to use the phrase horse shoe up his ass,  but sometimes you make your own luck.
That sumbitch must of been stuffed up there good, it’s been there quite a while...
maybe he lacks the arm strength to remove it!  Wink

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
Like I've said several times, only on this board are there the Keenum naysayers: the rest of Viking fandom has a major crush otherwise. The debating of him while the Vikings ride into the NFCC game in spectacular fashion of which his play was a major part is interesting by some to say the least. 
That is the furthest thing from the truth. I don't think the majority here are firmly against resigning Case. But anyone rationale isn't going to suggest bending over and writing the guy a blank check for his performance this season. If the league thought Case was a star in the wings he would have gotten more than a single year contract for $2M (the Vikings probably learned from this). Players can develop rapidly, but there is still risk in resigning Case without Shurmur. The point is that you need to balance that risk and price point with the risks of the other QB's on your roster. Sam is the most talented but can't stay healthy, Teddy is a complete unknown. But that is where the door also opens for external options and developmental draft picks as well. 
It isn't. Who's writing him a blank check? But there is a going rate for that kind of season and performance and it won't be cheap. Its total fan-think to say sign him to a 'mid-range' contract with incentives...hilarious. He and his agent are going to strike while the iron is hot. Timing is everything. He won't break the bank but he won't come on the cheap, either. Aptly so. How can the organization commit to Bradford with that problematic knee? And Teddy is an unknown, like you mention. I wish the team could commit to Sam, but I don't see how. But he's the most talented. 

Viking Nation will lose their shit if they walk from Keenum, guaranteed. The team likes a lot about his game. He's proven he can take a team to the NFCC game. I think the 'too close to the forest to see the trees' crowd this is lost on.

The point here is that regardless of Keenum's performance this season there is risk. There is when you resign any QB. But to view him as the QB of the future is premature. He played well this season. There is no guarantee he is going to play well next season. Just like there was no guarantee he would be anything more than a backup this season. 

Should the Vikings let him walk? No. But you don't sign him to a multi year extension since that plays into Case and his agents hands. You use the franchise tag. 
I dont disagree with you often Geoff.  You know your stuff.  But you probably remember Ive been asking why they dont have a few of these guys signed.  It seems the deeper into the playoffs they go the higher the price goes up and the more interested other teams become.

I dont like the franchise tag especially for Qbs.   I think it will mostly come down to a salary cap issue. You know this better than I do, the ability to lessen the affects of the salary with a signing bonus spread over the years and incentives. 

Ive heard several comments that this off season’s QB market is supposed to be especially aggressive.  I am not sure what the comp picks will be for each of these guys but I have to think that signing these guys earlier would have been smart.  I know the front office guys know all this and get paid because they are smarter than us at this. But it makes me wonder what the back story is.

I would have liked to see them sign the three Qbs, Keep Keenum and trade the other two for draft picks.  Groom Sloter and draft a young guy.  If you can’t get deals done for two then keep one and dont draft a Qb.

What are your thoughts of Sloter’s future?  Does he have what it takes?

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@StickyBun said:

Figuring what to do with Keenum is difficult. He's a player that never really put it together in Houston or with the Rams and large parts of his success are due to coaching, playing with a strong defense, and having play makers who can win contested matchups. I think it is fair that he's a gamer who is willing to take risks, which can be good or bad, his mobility can hide some problems with the OL and extend some plays, and he'll make a few plays per game that are just bafflingly bad. He's good enough to win with the current team, but I think there are a fair amount of QBs who could be successful here. The question then becomes, how much does it cost to keep Keenum and at what price does it make sense to cut bait and look at other options? That's a hard decision and one we don't know the answer to yet. We just need to balance addressing QB with making sure we can keep the parts of the roster that allow the QB to be successful together and there will be a few options available at QB that I think will allow us to compete at the highest level.

Pick six might hurt Case's value...  

Big time choke in this game by Keenan.  Maybe Shumer was more concerned about his offer from the Giants and setting up a staff versus preparing for this game.  O was good on the first drive and has pretty much sucked since...