Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DARRISAW!!!
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
The Vikings called multiple teams inside the top 13. But they were turned aside by each one of them, at one point because the other team had no interest in moving back and at another because the other team didn’t think Minnesota’s offer was strong enough. Spielman wanted to trade up but wasn’t going to give up an unreasonable haul to do so.
“I won’t speak on who we were (interested in) trading up for. I’ll just say we were very active making calls up and down all night,” Spielman said. “In fact, after the third pick, we were working the phones.”
So after being rebuked by teams, the Vikings were on the clock at No. 14. At the top of their board were offensive linemen Darrisaw and Alijah Vera-Tucker and defensive linemen Kwity Paye and Jaelan Phillips. They’d have been happy with any of those four players, so they sought to trade back, initially thinking a quarterback-needy team would want their pick, which was one spot before the Patriots. Instead, the New York Jets made the best offer, sending the Vikings two picks in the third round in exchange for moving back nine spots and a late fourth-rounder. Draft charts showed the Vikings won the trade.
But the team’s brass had some doubts shortly after. The Jets took Vera-Tucker, seen as the top guard, at No. 14. Phillips went four picks later. Paye went three picks after that. Suddenly, the list of players the Vikings wanted had dwindled.
At that point, Spielman tried to trade up, hoping he’d find a spot where he could ensure the team would get Darrisaw. But again, he couldn’t find a suitor. The draft room grew anxious. Head coach Mike Zimmer, who often pushes for defensive players, wanted to add size to the offensive line and worried that the team would miss out on Darrisaw because of Spielman’s frequent insistence on moving back. The team nervously awaited the final few picks until they were on the clock, hoping Darrisaw wouldn’t get taken. If he had, Oklahoma State’s Teven Jenkins was their Plan B. When the Vikings were finally on the clock, they didn’t take long before making their selection.
“I told him don’t answer the phones anymore,” Zimmer quipped of Spielman.
Sounds like somebody already put this into an article, so you can ignore my very similar tea leaves post. *L* Mine was just speculation. This one appears to have been sourced. 

Interesting though that the Vikings plan B was Jenkins. I had him tied with Darrisaw. Yeah, probably more of a RT, forcing us to move O'Neill, but I think Jenkins is underrated. 
I am very confident that Jenkins was not the backup plan FWIW. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Courtney R. DraftScout
@CourtneyRCronin
· 4m
Mike Zimmer said the Vikings wanted to not only add an athletic prospect to the offensive line, but add someone with size. They feel like that have that with Darrisaw, who is 6-5, 313 pounds. "Darrisaw has real long arms so that helps him going against some speed rushers."
Yeah, he always did seem like the perfect pick for us. No positional ambiguity, he's a left tackle all day long, longer arms than any of the other top tackles, already plays in a wide zone, adept at reach blocking, not just athletic, but bigger too which I think is a direction we're headed in. 

Really, really nice pick. And to pick up two 3rd rounders? Jesus. I'd be shocked if the Vikings don't move into the 2nd tomorrow. 
Yes, so nice to invest in a LT.  very excited we got him, and got him while adding picks.

What gets me is all the differing opinions in his draft takes.  He has a never ending motor/seems too laid back and seems to not finish/has a nasty streak/too casual/great power in the run game/not a road grader.

We shall see I guess, but I love the pick and value.
Same. I had to laugh, its like reading the potential side effects on medicine. 

Interesting quote from Zimmer saying they wanted 'offensive linemen with more size', saying that defensive linemen are bigger than ever. Truth. Almost a dig on Bradbury. 

@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Courtney R. DraftScout
@CourtneyRCronin
· 4m
Mike Zimmer said the Vikings wanted to not only add an athletic prospect to the offensive line, but add someone with size. They feel like that have that with Darrisaw, who is 6-5, 313 pounds. "Darrisaw has real long arms so that helps him going against some speed rushers."
Yeah, he always did seem like the perfect pick for us. No positional ambiguity, he's a left tackle all day long, longer arms than any of the other top tackles, already plays in a wide zone, adept at reach blocking, not just athletic, but bigger too which I think is a direction we're headed in. 

Really, really nice pick. And to pick up two 3rd rounders? Jesus. I'd be shocked if the Vikings don't move into the 2nd tomorrow. 
Yes, so nice to invest in a LT.  very excited we got him, and got him while adding picks.

What gets me is all the differing opinions in his draft takes.  He has a never ending motor/seems too laid back and seems to not finish/has a nasty streak/too casual/great power in the run game/not a road grader.

That's probably just the influence of McGinn's anonymous scout takes. He typically quotes a couple of scouts who love a player and a couple of scouts he aren't big fans. So it sounds like the evaluations are split. They're not. As someone who has read most of them, I can tell you that the consensus opinion on Darrisaw is very, very positive. Is it unanimous? No, but that's not unusual.  For example, 
Penei Sewell, Oregon (6-foot-6, 330 pounds): “I compared him to (Tony) Boselli but with quicker feet,” one scout said. “Dominant run and pass blocker. It’s very seldom you find a big-time athlete that is nasty, too. Anthony Munoz and Boselli, guys like that, they really liked to put guys on their tail. But, he didn’t play this year.” 
“His deal will be character,” a second scout said. “It’s been easy for him. I don’t know that he’s 100 percent pro right now. He has to deal with some growing pains in terms of professionalism. But the guy is tough and passionate on the field.”
"Every time I circle back and watch him, I just don’t see it,” said a third scout. “He’s not that gifted with his feet. He doesn’t really play that physical or strong. He can get in the way with things, but he’s not a really good finisher and his balance isn’t that great. His technique is off. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done.”

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Courtney R. DraftScout
@CourtneyRCronin
· 4m

That's probably just the influence of McGinn's anonymous scout takes. He typically quotes a couple of scouts who love a player and a couple of scouts he aren't big fans. So it sounds like the evaluations are split. They're not. As someone who has read most of them, I can tell you that the consensus opinion on Darrisaw is very, very positive. Is it unanimous? No, but that's not unusual.  For example, 
Penei Sewell, Oregon (6-foot-6, 330 pounds): “I compared him to (Tony) Boselli but with quicker feet,” one scout said. “Dominant run and pass blocker. It’s very seldom you find a big-time athlete that is nasty, too. Anthony Munoz and Boselli, guys like that, they really liked to put guys on their tail. But, he didn’t play this year.” 
“His deal will be character,” a second scout said. “It’s been easy for him. I don’t know that he’s 100 percent pro right now. He has to deal with some growing pains in terms of professionalism. But the guy is tough and passionate on the field.”
"Every time I circle back and watch him, I just don’t see it,” said a third scout. “He’s not that gifted with his feet. He doesn’t really play that physical or strong. He can get in the way with things, but he’s not a really good finisher and his balance isn’t that great. His technique is off. There’s a lot of work that needs to be done.”
Yeah I get the differing opinions, but some seem just contrarian.  

I like the pick.  Seems like he has the right mental makeup too.  His dad seemed more excited when he was picked.  Seems to know he has lots of work to do, all point to the right kind of character as well as the size and talent.

@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Courtney R. DraftScout
@CourtneyRCronin
· 4m

Yeah I get the differing opinions, but some seem just contrarian.  

I like the pick.  Seems like he has the right mental makeup too.  His dad seemed more excited when he was picked.  Seems to know he has lots of work to do, all point to the right kind of character as well as the size and talent.
There's a lot of that, too. From what I can gather, scouts are an ornery and arrogant lot, happier to take a contrarian view than fall in with the consensus, on the odd chance they might be proven right over the majority. Odd, this arrogance, considering how fucking wrong they are all the time. 

Very grateful today they got Darrisaw last night...I hope to goodness we got the OT's solved for the next 5 years.

Please football gods?

[Image: 15248686869dcaed9c0dda792be63c602bcec2b8ec.jpg]