Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Tag Ant Man ™
Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
[Image: MaAIgBaS_bigger.jpg]
The #Bills have done some work on their own players, agreeing to terms on a 2-year extension with S Jordan Poyer on a 2-year deal worth $20.5M, source said. One of the game’s most underrated players cashes in.

Hey Barr!  Have you heard if the Vikings have reached out to any of the free agents outside of the team?
They were in on Connor McGovern until he signed with the Jets. They're also in on Joe Haeg but I don't know to what degree. 

@"Geoff Nichols" I consider Haeg a Kline level talent, would you concur?

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@ArizonaViking said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
[Image: MaAIgBaS_bigger.jpg]
The #Bills have done some work on their own players, agreeing to terms on a 2-year extension with S Jordan Poyer on a 2-year deal worth $20.5M, source said. One of the game’s most underrated players cashes in.

Hey Barr!  Have you heard if the Vikings have reached out to any of the free agents outside of the team?
They were in on Connor McGovern until he signed with the Jets. They're also in on Joe Haeg but I don't know to what degree. 
Hey! Former NDSU Bison!! I’d like it

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Probably a similar talent level, just less proven. The nice thing about Haeg is that he can play across the line and has done so admirably. He definitely is an athletic guy who fits the zone scheme we run. 

Sendejo is not good. I wanted Ant to replace him long before he did and I’m still not happy with Zimmer on that. I wouldn’t dream of moving Ant for anything less than a 2nd. Safeties can play at a high level well into their mid-30’s. A player at the position can absorb a bit of speed drop off with experience. Play recognition/awareness are by far the most important attributes for the position and can make up for a lot. A high awareness guy now running a 4.7 can beat a fresh 4.4 youngster to the ball all day long. 
If no one offered a commensurate player or a 2nd round minimum, I’d just keep him. He’s a couple of W’s during a season. It’s not just the pick production, he locks his guy down in coverage and most importantly to me, and why Sendejo has never been a player I’m high  on, he doesn’t miss tackles. 

@"BarrNone55" said:
Probably a similar talent level, just less proven. The nice thing about Haeg is that he can play across the line and has done so admirably. He definitely is an athletic guy who fits the zone scheme we run. 
My assumption is he'll cost slightly more than Kline...3 for 21

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
Sendejo is not good. I wanted Ant to replace him long before he did and I’m still not happy with Zimmer on that. I wouldn’t dream of moving Ant for anything less than a 2nd. Safeties can play at a high level well into their mid-30’s. A player at the position can absorb a bit of speed drop off with experience. Play recognition/awareness are by far the most important attributes for the position and can make up for a lot. A high awareness guy now running a 4.7 can beat a fresh 4.4 youngster to the ball all day long. 
If no one offered a commensurate player or a 2nd round minimum, I’d just keep him. He’s a couple of W’s during a season. It’s not just the pick production, he locks his guy down in coverage and most importantly to me, and why Sendejo has never been a player I’m high  on, he doesn’t miss tackles. 
I think that Ant's talent is likely only a small portion of the discussion at this point. Its important to have good safeties, but its a position with diminishing returns. You are never going to get production out of the position equal to $20M+ of cap space. Ant is worth the money but you have to choose either him or Harry. They aren't going to move Harry, he's still the best safety in the game. 

The nice thing about safety is that you can plug a solid yet unspectacular player next to Harrison and still have the leagues best defense. Sendejo proved that. 

@Havoc1649 said:
I think that Ant's talent is likely only a small portion of the discussion at this point. Its important to have good safeties, but its a position with diminishing returns. You are never going to get production out of the position equal to $20M+ of cap space. Ant is worth the money but you have to choose either him or Harry. They aren't going to move Harry, he's still the best safety in the game. 

The nice thing about safety is that you can plug a solid yet unspectacular player next to Harrison and still have the leagues best defense. Sendejo proved that. 
He only proved that when Minnesota was playing predominantly Man and had a lockdown CB in Rhode , an up and coming CB in Waynes and a dominant run-stuffer in Joseph. Last year all 3 were meh to bad, while Harris balled out, which allowed Harry to stay near the LOS. 

Smith isn't as good in coverage as he used to be. He was trailing off even during the blowout in the NFCCG. If Harris leaves you can't put Sendejo back there. 'Helping' Rhodes and Waynes when they were playing well, and I used quotes for a reason, and helping Hughes, Hill, Rookie, hopefully a vet and Boyd is not at all the same Job Description. 

@Havoc1649 said:

I always look at Smiths hit against the cap as part LB though since he is used at the LOS so much,  the way HS gets used its hard to say its 20M in cap space allocated to the S position.  Also with 2 CBs on rookie deals likely starting for us,  we should allocate a bit more to the S position that will be covering up their learning curve IMO.   I am not crazy of the idea of Dejo back there behind what could end up being 3 first time starters.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Havoc1649 said:

I always look at Smiths hit against the cap as part LB though since he is used at the LOS so much,  the way HS gets used its hard to say its 20M in cap space allocated to the S position.  Also with 2 CBs on rookie deals likely starting for us,  we should allocate a bit more to the S position that will be covering up their learning curve IMO.   I am not crazy of the idea of Dejo back there behind what could end up being 3 first time starters.
This is the point I keep coming back to. Having the veteran safeties covering up, mentoring, setting the D, for the newby CBs. We will have two if not three new starting CBs. Let's protect those guy with gets who have been in the system for years.