@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@CFIAvike said:
@medaille said:
@CFIAvike said:
@medaille said:
@CFIAvike said:
Either way, without Cousins, this front office will not survive without 100% nailing their first QB pick…and I’m talking it must be an absolute slam dunk “face of the franchise” Top 10 NFL QB. If this team turns into the Jets (which is a very real possibility)…. everyone gets fired. 
I don’t think that’s true. 
That’s only true if they draft one QB and sit on their thumbs waiting to
get fired.  I think if you assume that’s
true, it’s also a safe assumption that they’d be fired for keeping Cousins and
also not going deep in the playoffs, which is not something Cousins has ever
done.

Scenario 1:  We sell the farm to draft the QBOTF high in this draft.  This QB is going to get 2-3 years to see if he pans out.  If he busts, they traded away a ton of draft capital for crap.  I would HIGHLY doubt the Wilf's would allow them to screw up again and everyone gets fired.

Scenario 2:  We employ a Goodwill-level QB to take over while we see if one of the second-tier QB's pans out in 1-3 years.  Now it's possible other QB's are drafted in this time I suppose, but I can't see the Wilfs letting this experiment go for more than 2-3 years without firing everyone and letting a new regime try to get us a franchise QB.

In both scenarios...the only way this front office keeps the noose off their necks is to, again, 100% nail the first QB they pick.  They either find the face of the franchise this year...or at absolute latest next year....or this whole FO and coaching staff are gone.  
I just can’t buy into the scenario you are imagining.  The Wilfs and the front office have and are
trying to build a steady franchise that gives GMs/coaches the time they need to
weather bad situations and it values consistency over rashness.  They’re not going to fire someone based off
one draft pick that probably has a 30% chance of panning out.  If in 3 years we’re sitting here holding another
Trey Lance and we haven’t made an effort to get a better option, then sign me
up for firing them.  You mentioned that
the high draft pick QB gets 2-3 years to prove themselves.  I think by the end of year 2 you should know
if they have “it” or not.  That said, a
lot of people would take your saying to mean that the high draft pick gets 2-3
years without competition, and I patently disagree with that take.  Within 3 offseasons, we should draft 2 QBs in
the top 3 rounds, who we think have goodish potential for becoming an elite QB.  If you draft QBs frequently, it’s not hard to
find a Cousins or a Carr or whichever mid-tier QB that gets you to the playoffs
every other year.

If the Vikings draft a QB whom they think has "elite" potential this year or next, there is absolutely no way they're drafting competition for him until at least 2 years in.  If anything, they scramble to try to get a vet if the QB they pick flames out. If we end up with 6 wins tops every season the next 3 years because of terrible QB play, mark my words, heads will roll.  Contrary to what you believe, it IS hard to even find a mid-tier QB.....that's why QBs like Daniel Jones and David Carr get 40+ mil a year.  Ask fans of the Jets, Browns, Patriots, Steelers, Titans, Raiders, Broncos, Giants, Commanders, Bucs, Saints, Falcons, and Panthers how "easy" it is to find a QB.  

If getting rid of Kirk has been part of the plan, then they better get it right and get it right immediately.  If they don't, the fanbase will be the first to turn....then ownership will be next.  It's gonna get REAL ugly this year if Kirk leaves, has success with another team and we're stuck winning 6 games because we don't have a replacement at QB.  The locker room will fracture and we'll become the Jets
Those middling guys pull that bamk because bad GMs follow the draft strategy you laid out and aren't bringing  in fresh competition soon enough to be willing ro walk away from an average QB that is demanding top tier money.  I like both Penix and Nix,  but if they didn't show enough to the coaches by then end of year 1 to be considered a contender for the starting role by year 2,  then I absolutely would expect the team to grab another QB next year,  and keep doing so until we have at least 2 young QBs on the roster that shoe promise,   if one hits then you grab another young guy and trade the other before their rookie value is gone.  This notion of riding player until they hit FA is a failed approach,  decide early and sell.
So you’re under the impression that one (partial) season is plenty of time for a second tier QB to show everything they need to determine whether or not we punt or not?

I see your point in that drafting a QB every year “until we find one” seems like the “logical” thing to do…but all you’re doing is showing absolutely zero confidence in every QB you take. You set the precedent that a rookie must be perfect or the team will replace you next year. 

That’s why finding a great QB is so hard. You need to give a QB at least 2 years to figure out what you’ve got. This regime is only gonna get one shot at getting this right
never said what you implied,  I simply said I dont believe in only brining along 1 QB at a time.  with 15 coaches on offense as well as an offensive HC.... no reason they cant work with 2 or 3 QBs at a time to keep that pipe line full.   try reading it again,  nothing was said about dumping the first QB,  just that we need to be bringing in more fresh talent for that QB room in the event that the first QB taken does not pan out.  certainly by the end of year 2 there should be a strong indication of the first QBs ability as well as a pretty good measure of where QB 2 might be heading,  so at that point you may keep drafting QBs,  or you may take a pause if they both look like they have potential, either way,  you still keep the pipeline full.  In my scenario they are given at least 2 full years before being moved off of,  potentially more if they show any signs of being legit NFL starters,  either way,  a decision is made by the end of year 3 so you can trade them away to avoid getting into a daniel jones situation,  which is more crippling than simply chasing a starting QB IMO.
I wonder why literally no team in the NFL does this…at all…
Kirk Cousins, was brought along at the same time as RG3.  Purdy was at the same time as Lance,  I'm sure there are more but I'm not going to chase it.  I'm guessing there are plenty of teams that wished they wouldn't have waited so long to bring in another young QB when they had one that didn't pan out.

And the shit just keeps rolling in. Silly season indeed:

https://twitter.com/TPPSkol/status/17625...86055?s=19

Man! There is a lot of everything out there.

I hope they are able to keep KC a few more seasons, cause I don't think they have a snowballs chance in hell of getting one of the top 4 at #11. 

I have a growing suspicion of Verse and Minschew replacing DH and KC on the roster 

How does that fire up the fan in you?

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

I hope they are able to keep KC a few more seasons, cause I don't think they have a snowballs chance in hell of getting one of the top 4 at #11. 

I have a growing suspicion of Verse and Minschew replacing DH and KC on the roster 

I'm 100% all about Verse & I can live with Minshew for a season as long as we also draft our QBOTF to sit behind him.

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'm 100% all about Verse & I can live with Minshew for a season as long as we also draft our QBOTF to sit behind him.
I'm still traumatized about Fl State DE's drafted by the Vikings lol!

How do you envision acquiring Verse and a QBOTF in this off-season?

IMO its one or the other. NO QBOTF this year with an Edge @ 11. 

@Knucklehead said:
@purplefaithful said:

I always wondered what that d-line would have looked like with Sapp next to Randle. The Viking have had their fair share of draft day gaffs, but that one is towards the top 

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@purplefaithful said:

We’re not going to be able to swing Verse with a QBOTF, but we could certainly hit on an Edge in round 2. There should be some guys with serious potential still available. Personalky, I really like this class at the position.

on the supposed “home town discount” - a few thoughts. How big of a discount is big enough for Viking fans? 

The fact is, Kirk Cousins took under market pay the past two years. It left him 15th in actual pay (not cap) last year despite being at least a top 8 performer. So for those clammoring for him to give in, he already took less.

He’ll likely take less this time. I have to imagine, or at least if I was in his place, it would be all about the structure. I’d be of the mind that I want to finish my career here. Any contract not reasonably designed that way would not be appealing. I would be far less about money and more about structure. I’m guessing this is the fight with Kwesi and in my opinion Kwesi is performing poorly.

@Knucklehead said:
@purplefaithful said:

I'm glad that you asked me this because I've put some thought into it & you're also allowing me to prove to everyone on this board that I'm just some knucklehead sitting behind a keyboard & not a NFL GM.
First, I was intrigued by Matt Miller's article on ESPN that said that there are only 16 players in this draft w/ true 1st round grades. I want to leave the 1st round w/ one of those players. If you assume that the top 3 QBs will be gone & assume that we're not going to draft a WR, OT, CB or Brock Bowers at No. 11, that leaves the Edges Verse & Turner & the IDL Murphy.
The key to my entire draft depends on at least 2 of them being available at #11 which allows me to execute a small trade down to pick up a 3rd round pick.
I'm now looking to trade back up into the 1st round to draft Nix or Penix. This is where not having our 3rd round pick hurts us because using the Rich Hill value chart we would have to trade our 2nd round pick both this year & next or our 2nd round pick this year plus our highest 4th round pick & other pick(s) depending on how high we want to trade up. I don't like either of these scenarios, but because I've picked up an additional 3rd, the trade up becomes more palatable.

Now, let's assume that all 6 QBs were drafted in the 1st round & we missed out entirely. In that case I'm targeting the position that I didn't fill at #11, Edge or IDL & would also consider OC. JPJ, Graham Barton & Zach Frazier will probably be gone but Sedrick Van Pran of UGA will be there & I can probably trade down in the 2nd round & pick up an additional pick.
Because this is the deepest QB draft in recent years & will be deeper than the 2025 draft, I refuse to leave it w/o drafting a QB. Spencer Rattler come on down. I have no idea if Rattler is a fit w/ KOC's offense but at the very least he has a higher ceiling as a backup than Hall.
So my potential draft looks like this:
1a) Verse/Turner/Murphy1b) Nix/Penix
or
1) Verse/Turner/Murphy2) Edge/IDL/OC3) Rattler

Quote:
Kirk Cousins, was brought along at the same time as RG3.  Purdy was at the same time as Lance,  I'm sure there are more but I'm not going to chase it.  I'm guessing there are plenty of teams that wished they wouldn't have waited so long to bring in another young QB when they had one that didn't pan out.
Hindsight is always 20/20. The problem with your argument is every team, when they take a QB high, is fully planning on him being the face of the franchise. 

Cousins getting taken in the 4th the same year as RG3 is the only time I can ever recall a team “doubling down” on a QB. Purdy was taken with the last pick in the draft. There’s absolutely no way they were planning on Purdy being anything other than a coin flip developmental guy when he was taken. 

Teams are going to give a QB at least 2-3 years to develop when they spend a high draft pick on them. You move on from a 4th rounder in one year (ala Jaren Hall), you don’t punt a first or second rounder after half a season.