Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump Pays Large for Lying. Again.
Quote: @badgervike said:
@purplefaithful said:
I do have to wonder if the post covid economic conditions would have happened under either Biden or Trump v2.0?

I would argue that inflation and other issues plaguing the economy were ripe (and were going to happen) regardless of who was sleeping in the White House. 

OTOH, I suspect many are quite happy looking at their personal portfolio net worth and 401k's these days. Hence the hefty spending by Americans inspite of inflation. 

The economy (and Wall St) will probably take off more in about Q3 if the Feds lower rates. 
To make that argument, you'd have to make comparisons in policy.  The largest contributor to inflation by far is/was the 70% rise in Energy costs which permeates through the economy.  You think that was caused by Covid related economic conditions or by Biden's war on fossil fuels?
I'm not well versed enough to speculate whether a war on fossil fuels drove all or some of the energy cost spikes.

EV vehicle sales are up vs y.ago but well below estimates in the US. Even in liberal Western Europe, there is a big shift in the timing of EV adoption. I think alot was grandstanding/politics.

Plus there's plenty of speculators on oil barrel prices, opec, seasonality etc. that can cause prices to go up or down. Thats about as much as I can articulate. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I do have to wonder if the post covid economic conditions would have happened under either Biden or Trump v2.0?

I would argue that inflation and other issues plaguing the economy were ripe (and were going to happen) regardless of who was sleeping in the White House. 

OTOH, I suspect many are quite happy looking at their personal portfolio net worth and 401k's these days. Hence the hefty spending by Americans inspite of inflation. 

The economy (and Wall St) will probably take off more in about Q3 if the Feds lower rates. 
the only thing to be happy about is that my IRA is keeping pace with inflation,  the way prices are going up, the increases in most IRAs wont cover the tax increases that will be necessary to pay off the ridiculous amount of debt the country has taken on in the last few years,  let alone leaving me much to work with in my golden years. 

i dont see them lowering rates until people quit spending like morons, its insane how people are still out there spending like there is arent any consequences.   people wont slow down their spending as long as the govt keeps printing money and handing it out to buy votes.   lowering interest rates right now IMO would just sent inflation to double digits,  especially with a president that has no compunction on buying his next 4 years with executive actions that just keep that debt calculator humming.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

the only thing to be happy about is that my IRA is keeping pace with inflation,  the way prices are going up, the increases in most IRAs wont cover the tax increases that will be necessary to pay off the ridiculous amount of debt the country has taken on in the last few years,  let alone leaving me much to work with in my golden years. 

i dont see them lowering rates until people quit spending like morons, its insane how people are still out there spending like there is arent any consequences.   people wont slow down their spending as long as the govt keeps printing money and handing it out to buy votes.   lowering interest rates right now IMO would just sent inflation to double digits,  especially with a president that has no compunction on buying his next 4 years with executive actions that just keep that debt calculator humming.
I just read a piece on how Americans are spending like YOLO since Covid ended...

Hell, even a god bless the usa bible will set you back $60 these days! 

[Image: trump-is-now-selling-trump-bibles-you-ha...C2%2C0%2C0]

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

I just read a piece on how Americans are spending like YOLO since Covid ended...

yep, its like they are still getting those govt checks.   its insane,  we are trying to find help and despite the wage scale blowing through the roof the last couple of years,  you still cant find anybody that can pass a piss test and willing to work.  really begs the question of why biden needed to forgive all those student loans,  apparently everyone is gainfully employed and flush with cash.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

yep, its like they are still getting those govt checks.   its insane,  we are trying to find help and despite the wage scale blowing through the roof the last couple of years,  you still cant find anybody that can pass a piss test and willing to work.  really begs the question of why biden needed to forgive all those student loans,  apparently everyone is gainfully employed and flush with cash.
I wish my kid got some govt luv on her student loans.

Here's another angle too....MN farmers are having a really difficult time trying to find workers. If they dont have access to seasonal, migrant workers out of Venezuela? Mexico? Colombia? They are out of biz...

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

Here's another angle too....MN farmers are having a really difficult time trying to find workers. If they dont have access to seasonal, migrant workers out of Venezuela? Mexico? Colombia? They are out of biz...

Same in Iowa, meat packers are having same issues. Tyson just shut down a plant in Perry, it isn't productive enough, ie. can't pay enough low wages to make up for automation, even though it's legal to hire minors on the line now.  Oh well we got a great tax cut.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

Same in Iowa, meat packers are having same issues. Tyson just shut down a plant in Perry, it isn't productive enough, ie. can't pay enough low wages to make up for automation, even though it's legal to hire minors on the line now.  Oh well we got a great tax cut.
Not surprising that whats happening in produce is happening in meat processing.

No canned corn for you bud!

Who's the pup in the avatar Al?

In memorium  or a new guy/gal? 

@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

construction workers too,  farmers are at least able to use a federal program to bring in workers from other countries, not as easy for other industries.  

@BigAl99 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@purplefaithful said:

Not surprising that whats happening in produce is happening in meat processing.

No canned corn for you bud!

Who's the pup in the avatar Al?

In memorium  or a new guy/gal? 

A old picture of Nelle i found.  Sure do miss her but sure makes traveling less complicated.  

@badgervike said:
@purplefaithful said:

To make that argument, you'd have to make comparisons in policy.  The largest contributor to inflation by far is/was the 70% rise in Energy costs which permeates through the economy.  You think that was caused by Covid related economic conditions or by Biden's war on fossil fuels?
I'm not well versed enough to speculate whether a war on fossil fuels drove all or some of the energy cost spikes.

EV vehicle sales are up vs y.ago but well below estimates in the US. Even in liberal Western Europe, there is a big shift in the timing of EV adoption. I think alot was grandstanding/politics.

Plus there's plenty of speculators on oil barrel prices, opec, seasonality etc. that can cause prices to go up or down. Thats about as much as I can articulate. 
If you want inflation to spike, the first thing you do is mess with your energy supply.  It's only common sense that every other single item is reliant on energy, even services.  Biden's war on fossil fuels was predicted by Trump, and it isn't the sole cause of inflation, but it's the biggest cause of inflation.