Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DARRISAW!!!
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"PurpleCrush" said:
Love this! Getting Darrisaw at 23 and 2 thirds is grand theft.
It fortunately worked out. Rick would never say but the board did not fall the way they thought after they traded out of #14. But somehow the 1 or 2 top guys at #14 made it all the way down the board. Adding the high 3rd and swapping out the late 4th for a mid-3 was a big win in hindsight. 

Vikings Nation if they didnt hit on Darrisaw:

[Image: gettyimages-2014797_wide-63b7c37d4f468e2...1bad24.jpg]
Depends. If we went Jenkins, yeah. Rousseau, naw.

The Vikings called multiple teams inside the top 13. But they were turned aside by each one of them, at one point because the other team had no interest in moving back and at another because the other team didn’t think Minnesota’s offer was strong enough. Spielman wanted to trade up but wasn’t going to give up an unreasonable haul to do so.
“I won’t speak on who we were (interested in) trading up for. I’ll just say we were very active making calls up and down all night,” Spielman said. “In fact, after the third pick, we were working the phones.”
So after being rebuked by teams, the Vikings were on the clock at No. 14. At the top of their board were offensive linemen Darrisaw and Alijah Vera-Tucker and defensive linemen Kwity Paye and Jaelan Phillips. They’d have been happy with any of those four players, so they sought to trade back, initially thinking a quarterback-needy team would want their pick, which was one spot before the Patriots. Instead, the New York Jets made the best offer, sending the Vikings two picks in the third round in exchange for moving back nine spots and a late fourth-rounder. Draft charts showed the Vikings won the trade.
But the team’s brass had some doubts shortly after. The Jets took Vera-Tucker, seen as the top guard, at No. 14. Phillips went four picks later. Paye went three picks after that. Suddenly, the list of players the Vikings wanted had dwindled.
At that point, Spielman tried to trade up, hoping he’d find a spot where he could ensure the team would get Darrisaw. But again, he couldn’t find a suitor. The draft room grew anxious. Head coach Mike Zimmer, who often pushes for defensive players, wanted to add size to the offensive line and worried that the team would miss out on Darrisaw because of Spielman’s frequent insistence on moving back. The team nervously awaited the final few picks until they were on the clock, hoping Darrisaw wouldn’t get taken. If he had, Oklahoma State’s Teven Jenkins was their Plan B. When the Vikings were finally on the clock, they didn’t take long before making their selection.
“I told him don’t answer the phones anymore,” Zimmer quipped of Spielman.

Barr,

I'm assuming you read this from Chad's article in the Athletic, but had Rick's gamble not paid off and Darrisaw was gone, their Plan B option was Jenkins. Glad it worked out the way it did. 

Quote: @"TBro" said:
Barr,

I'm assuming you read this from Chad's article in the Athletic, but had Rick's gamble not paid off and Darrisaw was gone, their Plan B option was Jenkins. Glad it worked out the way it did. 
So is my Samsung.

With plenty of options remaining when the Minnesota Vikings were first on the clock at No. 14, the franchise traded with the New York Jets to drop to the 23rd pick while adding an early third-round selection. And despite falling back nine slots, the Vikings still got an offensive tackle they were considering all along, nabbing Christian Darrisaw.
Big Board ranking: Darrisaw was the No. 17 player on Dane Brugler’s big board and the No. 3 overall offensive tackle.
Introduction: Darrisaw was a three-year starter at Virginia Tech, playing left tackle his entire time there. Even though Darrisaw was a three-star prospect out of high school, he was lightly recruited due to academic issues. But after a year at Fork Union Military Academy, Darrisaw enrolled at Virginia Tech and made a big impact immediately, earning the starting job at left tackle his first season. He improved each year, allowing four sacks in 2018, three in 2019, and zero last season. Darrisaw only surrendered six quarterback hurries in 293 dropbacks in 2020. Darrisaw turns 22 in June and is 6-foot-5 with arms longer than 34 inches.
How he fits: Coach Mike Zimmer was hesitant to announce Darrisaw as the team’s Week 1 starting left tackle, but that will be his position barring something surprising. Rick Spielman called Darrisaw a “pure left tackle,” and he’s likely to step right in and replace the departed Riley Reiff. This gives the Vikings bookend offensive tackles for the future with Darrisaw on the left side and Brian O’Neill on the right.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
23. Minnesota VikingsChristian Darrisaw, OT, Virginia Tech(Pick from New York Jets via Seattle Seahawks)
The Vikings moved back nine spots and still landed a quality offensive lineman in Darrisaw — a great fit in the Vikings’ zone scheme. I wish he were a more consistent finisher, but he has outstanding balance and body control for his size and should start early. The only question: does he play tackle or guard? The Vikings were expected to move Ezra Cleveland outside to tackle, but now they’ll potentially keep him inside at guard with Darrisaw at left tackle.
He a fuckin Tackle all day long who is that a quote from?
I mean you give him and Cleveland the oppertunity to win the job but I would imagine Darrisaw wins. I like that Oniell is staying put. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
The Vikings called multiple teams inside the top 13. But they were turned aside by each one of them, at one point because the other team had no interest in moving back and at another because the other team didn’t think Minnesota’s offer was strong enough. Spielman wanted to trade up but wasn’t going to give up an unreasonable haul to do so.
“I won’t speak on who we were (interested in) trading up for. I’ll just say we were very active making calls up and down all night,” Spielman said. “In fact, after the third pick, we were working the phones.”
So after being rebuked by teams, the Vikings were on the clock at No. 14. At the top of their board were offensive linemen Darrisaw and Alijah Vera-Tucker and defensive linemen Kwity Paye and Jaelan Phillips. They’d have been happy with any of those four players, so they sought to trade back, initially thinking a quarterback-needy team would want their pick, which was one spot before the Patriots. Instead, the New York Jets made the best offer, sending the Vikings two picks in the third round in exchange for moving back nine spots and a late fourth-rounder. Draft charts showed the Vikings won the trade.
But the team’s brass had some doubts shortly after. The Jets took Vera-Tucker, seen as the top guard, at No. 14. Phillips went four picks later. Paye went three picks after that. Suddenly, the list of players the Vikings wanted had dwindled.
At that point, Spielman tried to trade up, hoping he’d find a spot where he could ensure the team would get Darrisaw. But again, he couldn’t find a suitor. The draft room grew anxious. Head coach Mike Zimmer, who often pushes for defensive players, wanted to add size to the offensive line and worried that the team would miss out on Darrisaw because of Spielman’s frequent insistence on moving back. The team nervously awaited the final few picks until they were on the clock, hoping Darrisaw wouldn’t get taken. If he had, Oklahoma State’s Teven Jenkins was their Plan B. When the Vikings were finally on the clock, they didn’t take long before making their selection.
“I told him don’t answer the phones anymore,” Zimmer quipped of Spielman.
Sounds like somebody already put this into an article, so you can ignore my very similar tea leaves post. *L* Mine was just speculation. This one appears to have been sourced. 

Interesting though that the Vikings plan B was Jenkins. I had him tied with Darrisaw. Yeah, probably more of a RT, forcing us to move O'Neill, but I think Jenkins is underrated. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Courtney R. DraftScout
@CourtneyRCronin
· 4m
Mike Zimmer said the Vikings wanted to not only add an athletic prospect to the offensive line, but add someone with size. They feel like that have that with Darrisaw, who is 6-5, 313 pounds. "Darrisaw has real long arms so that helps him going against some speed rushers."
Yeah, he always did seem like the perfect pick for us. No positional ambiguity, he's a left tackle all day long, longer arms than any of the other top tackles, already plays in a wide zone, adept at reach blocking, not just athletic, but bigger too which I think is a direction we're headed in. 

Really, really nice pick. And to pick up two 3rd rounders? Jesus. I'd be shocked if the Vikings don't move into the 2nd tomorrow. 
Yes, so nice to invest in a LT.  very excited we got him, and got him while adding picks.

What gets me is all the differing opinions in his draft takes.  He has a never ending motor/seems too laid back and seems to not finish/has a nasty streak/too casual/great power in the run game/not a road grader.

We shall see I guess, but I love the pick and value.