• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miami, Other Miami, and North Carolina Pro Days
Quote: @dadevike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@dadevike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
11" hands and nearly 35" arms...constructed in a lab.
I wonder if he'll get pushed back in the draft after having opted out. Seems like that might be a very real possibility for those that did skip last year, at least from what I've read.
I think it really depends. If a guy opted out, and he comes to the pro day and shits the bed, that's one thing. If he's in shape, hits his targets, etc, I don't think it's a big deal.
Rousseau may not have shat the bed, but his numbers were not very impressive.  Phillips was much better.  Phillips has concerns having already retired from football once due to injuries - especially concussions.
Which numbers?

21 reps with 35" arms is impressive
4.70 ish forty
3 cone was just outside tolerance, but he had to run it 3 times. Clipped a cone on one, stumbled on the second.

He's got a ton of tools you just cannot teach. 
I love his size and arm length; he looks like a beast.  But after opting out this past season Rousseau had a lot riding on his pro day.  I watched a bit of it.  He ran 4.71/4.69 in the 40; not impressive.  Just by looking at him I thought he would do better than that.  He did not break 10 feet in the broad jump, so that puts more pressure on his vertical to show explosiveness.  But he only did 30 inches on his vertical. That's underwhelming.  It places him in the bottom 20% of all defensive ends in the past 20 years. Marginal athletes like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mac Jones both posted better verticals at their pro days.
4.7 isn't impressive at nearly 270lbs?

[Image: d4n9lv8gersb.jpeg]

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@Vikergirl said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@supafreak84 said:
I've been on the Jaelen Phillips bandwagon a while and he showed out today.  The tape sticks out and the athletic ability matches.  All about that medical.

To me, I'd have zero issue if the Vikings took Phillips or Rousseau, who I also love as just a freak athlete. I think we have done enough in free agency filling holes to where we could gamble a little bit on either player. Yes we likely need a couple offensive lineman as the glaring need currently but this is a deep group where we could grab a starter in the 3rd round or in a trade up back into the 2nd round. 

Is it draft day yet?
Remember how Dallas passed on Moss because Irvin was such a distraction? Wonder if Hunter's neck is the reason we pass on Phillips.
As good as he is, those concussions are a big concern. Will he be distracted by music. I think his interviews will be a factor.
I gotta think the little birds circling his head are a bigger distraction.
[Image: 8abj4wtds1um.gif]

@dadevike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@dadevike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
I wonder if he'll get pushed back in the draft after having opted out. Seems like that might be a very real possibility for those that did skip last year, at least from what I've read.
I think it really depends. If a guy opted out, and he comes to the pro day and shits the bed, that's one thing. If he's in shape, hits his targets, etc, I don't think it's a big deal.
Rousseau may not have shat the bed, but his numbers were not very impressive.  Phillips was much better.  Phillips has concerns having already retired from football once due to injuries - especially concussions.
Which numbers?

4.70 ish forty
3 cone was just outside tolerance, but he had to run it 3 times. Clipped a cone on one, stumbled on the second.

I love his size and arm length; he looks like a beast.  But after opting out this past season Rousseau had a lot riding on his pro day.  I watched a bit of it.  He ran 4.71/4.69 in the 40; not impressive.  Just by looking at him I thought he would do better than that.  He did not break 10 feet in the broad jump, so that puts more pressure on his vertical to show explosiveness.  But he only did 30 inches on his vertical. That's underwhelming.  It places him in the bottom 20% of all defensive ends in the past 20 years. Marginal athletes like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Mac Jones both posted better verticals at their pro days.
I was expecting Rousseau to show he was the better athlete as between him and Phillips. Rousseau certainly looks the part and watching him in 2019, he seemed freakish.  But here is what Phillips did yesterday - and he is not small; Phillips is 6'5", 260 lbs: 10'5" broad jump, 4.56 40, and 36" vertical.  Had you just posted the numbers and asked me to guess who posted which numbers, I would have guessed Rousseau had Phillips' pro day.  They looked like they were at different levels as athletes, with Phillips being clearly superior.  The concussion history with Phillips is a concern.  But yesterday he showed he was the better athlete.

@dadevike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@dadevike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Which numbers?

4.70 ish forty

4.7 is plenty fast at 270 given his height. I have zero concerns about Rousseau's HWS. My concerns with him are about his experience as a pure edge, given that he was recruited as a WR and played so many snaps inside. It's almost like he was a novelty there. Hey, watch t-rex arm center try to block out Rousseau's literal 7-foot wingspan. Still, enormous upside with a coach like Patterson given his measurables and character. I think he could need a year to add some weight and power. I read that he's gained 30 lbs since he last played. Did he really play at 240?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@dadevike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@dadevike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Which numbers?

4.70 ish forty

4.7 is plenty fast at 270 given his height. I have zero concerns about Rousseau's HWS. My concerns with him are about his experience as a pure edge, given that he was recruited as a WR and played so many snaps inside. It's almost like he was a novelty there. Hey, watch t-rex arm center try to block out Rousseau's literal 7-foot wingspan. Still, enormous upside with a coach like Patterson given his measurables and character. I think he could need a year to add some weight and power. I read that he's gained 30 lbs since he last played. Did he really play at 240?
I think he last played at 250-255, whatever it takes.

About half his sacks came inside, but toss them out and he's still damn productive. 

Here's the thing as far as fit. Kick him inside on passing downs if you want. Or drop him into coverage from the edge. Or leave him opposite of Hunter and have him collect clean up sacks. I'm not seeing anyone close as far as upside. He's got no game plan. Dre coaching him up? Forget about it. By 2022 or so he's a monster.

And, FWIW, DJ has him at #13

@MaroonBells said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@dadevike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@dadevike said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Which numbers?

4.70 ish forty

I think he last played at 250-255, whatever it takes.

About half his sacks came inside, but toss them out and he's still damn productive. 

Here's the thing as far as fit. Kick him inside on passing downs if you want. Or drop him into coverage from the edge. Or leave him opposite of Hunter and have him collect clean up sacks. I'm not seeing anyone close as far as upside. He's got no game plan. Dre coaching him up? Forget about it. By 2022 or so he's a monster.
I think that's the thing I like about him most for us. Given our interest in Atkins, even after signing Tomlinson, it's clear Zimmer would like to add more of an inside pass rush. Rousseau could provide that on passing downs, in addition to becoming the long-term answer opposite Hunter.  

I see Rousseau is a whopping 20yrs old... (21 April 5th)

Quote: @Kentis said:
I see Rousseau is a whopping 20yrs old... (21 April 5th)
I got corns that old.