Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: WSJ: Middle Class deeply into debt
Quote: @mjollnir_k said:
Chevy 3/4 ton 4 door WT for the local Fire Department.  There were some rebates and other stuff but going online right now I can easily configure for about $40 K before dealing.
4wheel or 2?  thats not a bad price for a crew cab 3/4 ton.  significantly less than what I would find around here.

4 wheel you can build them on the Chevy.com website.  Of course you will pay a destination fee.  We are building a new wild land fire fighting unit so I spec'd it out without all the frills because it does not last on those type of trucks.  Hopefully we hit on the grant (I am nervous because it is the first time in 12 year i did not write it). 

My oldest just completed his Masters of Science - Jurisprudence specializing in medical and pharmaceutical patent law from Seton Hall...

4.0 and on the company dime.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:

My oldest just completed his Masters of Science - Jurisprudence specializing in medical and pharmaceutical patent law from Seton Hall...

Holy shit. That is just straight up fantastic. Congratulations to the boy and Dad. That's quite the accomplishment. 

Quote: @mjollnir_k said:
4 wheel you can build them on the Chevy.com website.  Of course you will pay a destination fee.  We are building a new wild land fire fighting unit so I spec'd it out without all the frills because it does not last on those type of trucks.  Hopefully we hit on the grant (I am nervous because it is the first time in 12 year i did not write it). 
good luck on the grant.  our little dept has done very well over the years with grants.  what state are you in?  In SD I have worked with our wildland fire division for a lot of small stuff.   they have federal monies to help gear up and train the rural departments specifically for wildland fire attack and PPE.   This money goes largely unrewarded because people forget about it,  they are typically 50/50 grants funding projects up to $8000,  but its essentially 4k of free money every year as long as you show how it will benefit your wildland attack.

in 20 years we have used it to outfit 4 trucks,  every member got a full set of wildland PPE,  new pumps, and other stuff.  I dont think we have ever gotten turned down and in some years they gave us a 90% grants so $7000.

weve gotten the FEMA grant 3 times over the years,  new communications, new turnout gear, and a few years ago we got awarded a new pumper worth about 240k....kind of a stupid award considering how few runs that truck makes annually.  they really should award the trucks to larger departments with their decent used stuff then getting granted to smaller departments.

North Dakota.  Yes our State Forestry has the 50/50 Grant available as well, only ours is up to 10K (5000).  I have been writing our grants since before and have hit on 1 AFG Fema Grant worth around $280 K (took a break in 2007), 2 Regionals where our portion was 70K (totals on 1 was 300K and the other 200K) for Radio/Paging upgrades.   I got tired of the AFG hoops (Istill apply but usually it is the same grant tailored to the years published guidance and priorities) and competition of professional writers and started writing to our local Foundations and Business community endowments and have really great success (Funded 90 % of our last 2 major projects).  Last year one of our banks that has a foundation awarded us $90K for new SCBA's, 2nd time I wrote a grant to them and second award, but this one is one of the first that I heard they fully funded a project.  I can't complain about the results and like I said the grant for this pickup was written by someone else without even letting me look at it,  So yes I am nervous.  I hear you on the awards on new pumpers and see your point but I also believe in at any given moment.  Because of the success we have had with Grants we were able to purchase and up grade 2 of our trucks this year (ended up getting 20 years new on both trucks from there replacements).  We then offered up our 2 other trucks for bid, one is at a neighboring department that with the purchase doubled there fire fighting ability.  The second we are trying really hard to get another neighboring department to buy it for what ever they can afford (and I mean cheap) because they need it and do not have the mean to buy a new unit.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@FSUVike said:
If you have 3+ years of experience programming PLCs for industrial equipment you can easily make $80k. Don't need a degree. And that's just one example of many great paying jobs in Manufacturing & Distribution.

Frankly, we've let ourselves down as a society thinking all of our kids need degrees. Now there's no Shop Class in High School. And Accounting, IT, etc. programs at Colleges around the country are packed full with students who won't be able to find work in those fields when they graduate.
Agreed, but here's a caveat: there are trade jobs out there, nice blue collar opportunities, and today's millennials don't want them for the most part. I'll give you an example: a friend of mine is a utility lineman for a county in mid-Michigan. He started a mentorship/apprentice program every year where he takes 4 younger kids, fresh grads from high school, gives them a job where they apprentice for 2 years and learn and then get to be full time lineman. Good job, good pay and good benefits. No college degree necessary. Not only does he have a hell of a time finding 4 kids to do this, 2 will quit after their first paycheck and one other will quit after one month. Every time. They don't want to work. Its not glamorous enough. Its highly frustrating. Not saying all millennials, but some of them. I think you can also ask other people that do similar things and get a similar answer unfortunately.
Why work?  There's free shit for that.  You can get food, shelter, utilities, transportation, medical, phones and on and on and on.  Now we've got presidential candidates offering more free shit.  All those loans you took out to get your underwater basket weaving degree....PAID in FULL!!!
We're making it too comfortable to not work in this country. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@FSUVike said:
If you have 3+ years of experience programming PLCs for industrial equipment you can easily make $80k. Don't need a degree. And that's just one example of many great paying jobs in Manufacturing & Distribution.

Frankly, we've let ourselves down as a society thinking all of our kids need degrees. Now there's no Shop Class in High School. And Accounting, IT, etc. programs at Colleges around the country are packed full with students who won't be able to find work in those fields when they graduate.
Agreed, but here's a caveat: there are trade jobs out there, nice blue collar opportunities, and today's millennials don't want them for the most part. I'll give you an example: a friend of mine is a utility lineman for a county in mid-Michigan. He started a mentorship/apprentice program every year where he takes 4 younger kids, fresh grads from high school, gives them a job where they apprentice for 2 years and learn and then get to be full time lineman. Good job, good pay and good benefits. No college degree necessary. Not only does he have a hell of a time finding 4 kids to do this, 2 will quit after their first paycheck and one other will quit after one month. Every time. They don't want to work. Its not glamorous enough. Its highly frustrating. Not saying all millennials, but some of them. I think you can also ask other people that do similar things and get a similar answer unfortunately.
Why work?  There's free shit for that.  You can get food, shelter, utilities, transportation, medical, phones and on and on and on.  Now we've got presidential candidates offering more free shit.  All those loans you took out to get your underwater basket weaving degree....PAID in FULL!!!
Its more about the parents enabling the kids and doing everything for them than the country's politics. Nobody gets a driver's license at 16 anymore because Mom and Dad are the chauffeurs. Their little babies can't be allowed to fail.....they get almost everything they want....they have little responsibility and can't handle the slightest adversity. They are entitled. That's the real issue.

@AGRforever said:
@StickyBun said:
@FSUVike said:

Its more about the parents enabling the kids and doing everything for them than the country's politics. Nobody gets a driver's license at 16 anymore because Mom and Dad are the chauffeurs. Their little babies can't be allowed to fail.....they get almost everything they want....they have little responsibility and can't handle the slightest adversity. They are entitled. That's the real issue.

That is the scary reality now a days.  After I graduated from high school, 10 days later I was in basic training in Alabama...I needed a job, needed medical insurance, needed a place to live.  I had a truck already, worked all through high school to  buy it and still had to work to pay for the insurance.  No free ride from my folks.
My kids did  have it better though.  I helped them get their first vehicle, but they had to  pay for their own insurance.  Both had  their own cellphones way before I did, they had to pay for that on their own too.  No freebies.
My daughter went to college...she had a couple of academic scholarships, applied and got a couple state grants plus some financial aide.  She worked full time and put herself through 5 years of college earning 2 B.A.s.  She didn't cost me a screaming dime, but for law school I paid for that.  She's s successful lawyer now and doing really well.
My son went into the Army right after high school like I did.  After he got out, he is now a plumber/welder and loves the work.  He always liked to  be grungy and fix things.
Extremely proud of both of them.  Always told them, there is no easy way or short cuts...you got to put in the time, effort and hard work.

@"BarrNone55" said:

Holy shit. That is just straight up fantastic. Congratulations to the boy and Dad. That's quite the accomplishment. 
They say children get their intelligence from the mother, but in this case that is 100% the truth...