Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your QB choice is
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@BsuZagVike said:
Geoff, in your opinion, what do you think are realistic salaries for each of the QBs on the open market?
Kirk - Anywhere between $27M - $30+M over 5 years seems like the wheelhouse. Guaranteed money will dictate which end of that range the AAV falls into. No matter what, Cousins will have a short stint as the NFL highest paid player. Which is fair considering no top 15 QB's hit the market without strings attached.  

Keenum - Without considering the use of the franchise or transition tags, Case and his agent should search for a deal in the range of $20M annually over 3 years. Do they get that? I don't know. But depending on interest that could drop all the way towards $16M or increase into the Alex Smith range $23.5M. If the Vikings keep Keenum it will likely be by using the transition tag and either letting him play out the tag or negotiating a team friendly extension if there isn't a ton of outside interest. 

Bradford - If he decides to play next year a team will give him an incentive laden contract that starts in the $7.5M range. Incentives (mainly attached to his health) could drive it upwards. He won't get more than a prove-it deal in my opinion. But its Sam Bradford, people are tantalized by his arm, so who knows. 

Bridgewater - This is the real wild card. Its really hard to peg a value on Teddy. An incentive driven $7.5M deal seems right for him as well. But it could be substantially less or more depending on how teams other than the Vikings view his potential. 

Thanks for that.  That's exactly what I was thinking for Kirk and Keenum, but I've had a hard time figuring out the market for Bradford and Bridgewater.

I really like the Combo of Bridgewater and Taylor.

Geoff,
What do you think the market for Taylor is, he seems to win with a questionable team around him but there seems to be doubt about his long term upside.

Quote: @NodakViking said:

Geoff,
What do you think the market for Taylor is, he seems to win with a questionable team around him but there seems to be doubt about his long term upside.
I really like that combo as well, with Sloter as the third.

Geoff,
Quote: @BsuZagVike said:
@NodakViking said:

Geoff,
why taylor?  I havent seen him more than a small handful of times and have never really been impressed with him as a QB.

I just think based the few times I've seen him he can win for you week in and week if he starts but I don't think he'll command franchise type money, but maybe I under estimate what some might pay him.  

Buffo had some crap at WR in recent years(much seemingly tied to injuries) and the OK wasn't very good but Taylor and McCoy seemed to keep them in the hunt in the AFC.

I just think based the few times I've seen him he can win for you week in and week if he starts but I don't think he'll command franchise type money, but maybe I under estimate what some might pay him.  

Buffo had some crap at WR in recent years(much seemingly tied to injuries) and the OK wasn't very good but Taylor and McCoy seemed to keep them in the hunt in the AFC.
i might be a little biased by the last time I saw him play (against jacksonville in the playoffs) and jacksonvilles d made some pretty good qb look bad/average.

Quote: @Poiple said:
@Zanary said:
@Steve said:
Vikings get to the NFC Championship game because Keenum dealt with pressure better than any QB coming off the pine in history, and fans want to replace him with the guy who led the league in interceptions under pressure last year.

If Keenum won 9 games last year, people would be all over him talking about his potential.  Instead, he gets one game shy of the Superbowl and everyone is window shopping replacements.
Keenum looked very "backup-ish" in the playoffs, despite how amazingly he'd done earlier in the season.  Yes, it's harsh and maybe another season would allow him to grow to the next level with the team...but for the moment, he's the latest recent Vikings QB to crash and burn in the NFCC game.  This comes with a massive, albeit unfair, stigma.

Was the loss all his fault?  Hell, no.  The whole team got outplayed and outcoached.  That said, he seemed to display his ceiling...and it was well short of what was required to get to "the game".

I'm split on Cousins and a "healthy Bradford", largely because they're similar "pocket passers" and each comes with concerns.  That said, Keenum comes with his own, and I don't know if anyone actually can say what we have in Teddy right now.

It's pretty maddening, and I really do dream of a time where Vikings fans go into multiple consecutive offseasons without losing sleep/hair/tooth enamel over our signal caller.
I guess you are looking for a tier 1 Qb?   I mean, the O line suffered casualties and couldnt stop the pass rush resulting in Qb pressures and the D gave up points at a rate not previously seen the entire season.  So it appears most knowledgable fand here hold him responsible because he didnt rise above the lack of blocking, the poor game planning and a defense the suddenly became a sieve.  I dont know if I can get inboard that train.
But then, which train?

Sam- incredible talent, not real mobile, potentially still fragile.
Teddy- a great kid with a pile of questions both in durability and development
Case- big heart, gets results, seemed to wilt under some types of pressure
Cousins- Seemingly a "more durable Bradford", but has decision-making meltdowns

No terrible choices, really, but...pick your poison.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@NodakViking said:

Geoff,
Quote: @BsuZagVike said:
@NodakViking said:

Geoff,
why taylor?  I havent seen him more than a small handful of times and have never really been impressed with him as a QB.
I don't want him starting, but if he were to back up Bridgewater in case his knee gets hurt I think he would be a good option to be a capable backup like Keenum was.  He throws very few interceptions and I think could win with a good defense like ours.  I'm with Nodak though, I wouldn't pay him a ton of money so maybe I'm undervaluing him.

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@BsuZagVike said:
Geoff, in your opinion, what do you think are realistic salaries for each of the QBs on the open market?
Kirk - Anywhere between $27M - $30+M over 5 years seems like the wheelhouse. Guaranteed money will dictate which end of that range the AAV falls into. No matter what, Cousins will have a short stint as the NFL highest paid player. Which is fair considering no top 15 QB's hit the market without strings attached.  

Keenum - Without considering the use of the franchise or transition tags, Case and his agent should search for a deal in the range of $20M annually over 3 years. Do they get that? I don't know. But depending on interest that could drop all the way towards $16M or increase into the Alex Smith range $23.5M. If the Vikings keep Keenum it will likely be by using the transition tag and either letting him play out the tag or negotiating a team friendly extension if there isn't a ton of outside interest. 

Bradford - If he decides to play next year a team will give him an incentive laden contract that starts in the $7.5M range. Incentives (mainly attached to his health) could drive it upwards. He won't get more than a prove-it deal in my opinion. But its Sam Bradford, people are tantalized by his arm, so who knows. 

Bridgewater - This is the real wild card. Its really hard to peg a value on Teddy. An incentive driven $7.5M deal seems right for him as well. But it could be substantially less or more depending on how teams other than the Vikings view his potential. 

This seems overvalued a good deal IMO, except for Bradford.  I think Bradford, if he hits FA, will have a few teams bidding that will push his price up.

There just aren't a lot of teams looking for quarterbacks with big cap space that don't have top 5 picks.  Really, it's _just_ the Vikings that can do a $20M QB signing without shuffling money around before the draft or dumping yet another QB onto the market.

The only way Bridgewater gets that kind of money is if he's available for a trouble free signing on day 1 of FA, which he won't be unless the Vikings outright release him.  Otherwise he's an afterthought or filling a pre-season injury spot. 

(Just my opinion... I have 1/1000000th of Geoff's expertise)

Quote: @Steve said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@BsuZagVike said:

This seems overvalued a good deal IMO, except for Bradford.  I think Bradford, if he hits FA, will have a few teams bidding that will push his price up.

There just aren't a lot of teams looking for quarterbacks with big cap space that don't have top 5 picks.  Really, it's _just_ the Vikings that can do a $20M QB signing without shuffling money around before the draft or dumping yet another QB onto the market.

The only way Bridgewater gets that kind of money is if he's available for a trouble free signing on day 1 of FA, which he won't be unless the Vikings outright release him.  Otherwise he's an afterthought or filling a pre-season injury spot. 

Yes - But even the teams with top 5 draft picks will want bridge QB's to limit their rookie QB's year 1 exposure.